LegacyGT.com

Can you turbocharge a 2.5i

Hey all,

I am not looking for an easy answer, but then again, I am not looking to reinvent the wheel.

I am looking to see if there are any solutions to turbocharge my car. Are there any semi bolt-on solutions, or is it something I have to do from scratch. I really don't want to do an engine swap because I don't want to reprogram an ECU, I just want more power... Like STI power.

The answers you will get:

1) Yes there are kits

2) Sell the car get a LGT

3) You wont get STi power out of a Legacyi

4) Search

Maybe not in that order.

well, I like number 1.. but I can't seem to find what I'm looking for that's not a GT.

^That kit is for a 4th gen, pretty sure it won't fit a 5th gen 2.5i.

In answer to your original question, yes you CAN, but it's a horrible idea. There is no easy/affordable/reliable/bolt-on kit way to do it, and you will end up spending thousands upon thousands of dollars to end up with less power than you'd get from a stock 3.6R or 2.5GT.

Sadly, with 5th gens, if you want a turbo, the best method really is just to buy a GT. You will save yourself so much headache.

Converting a 2.5i to 3.6 AND keeping it manual will be probably the most expensive option you could follow. Far as I know, the only EZ36D engine mated to a manual gearbox in the world is Mighty Car Mods' Supergramps. I don't believe there's been a single one done in a Legacy.

Yes you can. Money can conquer all! Even love! lol. Heck, there was a brilliant guy who swapped a WRX set up into his Crosstrek, so anything can be done". But, it would be prob two times cheaper to just buy a GT. Wanna have an example? Go read up on the thread of just trying to swap a STI trans into the GT body!

I think the 3.6 comment was to steer you toward purchasing an h6 legacy then working off that platform, otherwise your 6mt/clutch/brakes are not made for more power. If you were starting from a 3.6 you would be 80% there and the 5eat can handle a bit of power.

As far as putting a 3.0 into the 5th gen...unless you are doing a custom built 3.0 the 3.6 is a better option, but again you would need some kind of custom engine management. Then get that to talk with the rest of the canbus system on the vehicle.

If you don't want to mess with an ecu sell and buy a GT or get a wrx.

OP I had the same thoughts a few years back.

I bought a brand new 2012 2.5i base model. I threw a bunch of aftermarket stuff on it. It still wasn't what I wanted. I was wasting gas trying to squeeze power out of that motor.

In 2014 I found a used 2010 GT Premium in the same color with less than 42K miles. So I traded in my 2.5i with 56K miles and I have been putting my money where the performance gains are more noticeable.

• 5 weeks later...
Where I am, the nearesg ones available 400ish miles away

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

yea, I drove about 200mi to get mine, and that was almost 4yrs ago. There werent many made. heck one of the guys here had his 5th gen GT shipped from the west coast to the east coast

Everyone says go get a LGT. Its not all that easy. Where I am, the nearesg ones available 400ish miles away

Well you'd be spending at least $10k (and lord knows how much down time) to get your car to the same level that the GTs came with stock. Would you drive 400 miles for $10k? I would.

heck one of the guys here had his 5th gen GT shipped from the west coast to the east coast

Yup, I had mine shipped across the US:lol: I really wanted 2012 or would have settled for 2011. Their usually is one 1 or 2 (if any) 2011 or 2012 for sale across the country, so their isn't a lot of selection. A 2012 popped up in my area 9 months ago, but it was scratched all up.

Well you'd be spending at least $10k (and lord knows how much down time) to get your car to the same level that the GTs came with stock. Would you drive 400 miles for $10k? I would.

Likely, it also isn't going to be reliable or have a good resale value.

I bought this car 3000 miles away, my truck 600 miles, my boat 800 miles. All those were rare and sought after models. [i would not buy a 2.5i more than 1 hour away.] I kind of like the hunt of finding what I want. 400 miles really isn't too bad. Ask detailed questions in advance, try to have someone inspect the car, do your homework to line up everything. As for getting the car drive out the night before, do the deal in the morning and drive it home. Bring a friend, sibling, father and make a road trip and adventure out of it.

Everyone says go get a LGT. Its not all that easy. Where I am, the nearesg ones available 400ish miles away

Traveling 400 miles is the easiest option available to you by far. That's, what, maybe 8 hours by car and maybe 100 bucks in gas each way? You could rent a car for a day and drive the LGT back no problem. Or just have it shipped if you really wanted to.

All of these options are going to be less expensive and more reliable then trying to turbocharge an engine that was never meant for it.

Archived