LegacyGT.com

Test drove a 05 LGT have some questions

VaughanCustoms

So I left work yesterday and went and test drove a 05 Legacy GT here is the ad

http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-sale/vehicledetails.xhtml?zip=30518&endYear=2008&modelCode1=LEGACY&showcaseOwnerId=65661955&startYear=2005&makeCode1=SUB&listingType=used&listingTypes=used&searchRadius=50&mmt=%5BSUB%5BLEGACY%5B%5D%5D%5B%5D%5D&listingId=354953513&listingIndex=1&Log=0

This car is considerably slower than my Cobra but man overall is it fun to drive. The things that concern me are the mileage and what they are asking. The other issues are that it has 140,000 miles and the dealer just now put a timing belt on it. Tells me that the PO may not have taken the best care of it. The tech that worked on the car noticed it had some aftermarket performance clutch in it and it felt nice but when you take your foot off the gas and decelerate there is a bad chattering sound. I was wondering if this is normal for performance clutches on these cars. My Cobra has a clutch good for like 600 foot pounds and it doesnt chatter at all. It had some typical little scuffs inside and out and the paint on the hood scoop looked pretty rough. Is this common? To be honest I love cars and really enjoyed this car and wanted to take it home but I knew I shouldn't just make a inpulse buy lol. What do you guys think?

Waaaaay overpriced. $8-9k tops for that car.

Clutch shouldn't chatter. Can't comment on the hood scoop paint but mine in that same color looks pristine. . and it's similar miles and also lived in GA most of its life.

There's a lower mile, better condition 05 LGT 5-speed in the classifieds here for $9500, and it's in your backyard.

Which car are you talking about lockmedic? The blue one in the classifieds? I really want that car but with that car I am stuck because I dont have the cash because my current car has not sold. With a dealer I can finance and when my car sells I can pay the loan off.

True but last time my bank was a real piece of crap lol. I have like a 715 credit score but because at my current job I make less than I used to and like half of my pay is commisssion they did not want to loan me money. Good news is I got a new job yesterday so put in my 2 weeks today and I will be making about $15,000 more a year at the new place :)

Yes, the blue one in the classifieds looks way better condition than the one in that ad (nudge nudge wink wink)

Seriously though, you're willing to pay another $3000 to be able to finance? There are plenty of banks and credit unions that'll give you a loan for 10k... I've done it through Georgia's Own Credit Union a couple of times and they're great to work with.

I'm self-employed. I promise you I have a harder time borrowing money, yet I'm still able to do it. If you have documented income that shows on your tax returns, commission/salary/hourly pay is generally not too relevant to them. It's all about your debt to income ratio, and whether or not the collateral is worth what you're asking to borrow.

You do have to be willing to jump through a bunch of hoops just to hear the word "NO" a few times tho.

Find another bank.

Lightweight flywheels will make noise when you let off the gas, especially at higher RPMs, but I think of it more of a whining noise than a chatter.

This. The noise on decel happens to every car once you swap to a light enough flywheel. I personally wouldn't describe it as a whining noise though, as that's not what I've experienced in my own car and other Subarus.

Well I desided against that car anyways and going to buy a car from here but curious to what the noise was and if there was any reason for it. Good to know for the future though.

The reason is because science. :lol:

The stock DMFW on the LGT weighs in at 28lbs. Most LGT LWFWs weigh around 13 lbs. Considering a DMFW is specifically built to decrease NVH, there would be a lot more NVH coming into the car when going to a single mass, LWFW.

Makes sense, I am going from a Cobra Mustang that still has a old school style clutch setup and flywheel. I mean performace clutches can get as crazy as you want with really any hp range. Where as the LGT has a DMFW and hydraulic clutch. Then my other car my 1967 Mercury Cougar everything is mecanical so this is a transition to say the least.

Archived