LegacyGT.com

Sticking caliper - what are my options?

VtspecB

The right front sticks enough that after a 30 mile trip at highway speeds there was noticeable smell and some small amount of smoke when stopped to inspect it.

I bled it last night with no change in the symptoms, the fluid did not look cooked or any different than normal. I then put the entire car up off of all fours and started it, put it in 1st and as expected all wheels turn except front right.

Any suggestions on the next step? What else can I do to eliminate other possibilities for causes of the problem. I'm running ATE fluid, Hawk pads and SS lines. The lines appear to be intact and there was no problem bleeding it. Additionally there's only 36k on the car.

As others have noted its $300+ from the stealership for a new one. I've read about replacement calipers from these guys but there is nothing specific to the GT and I'm pretty certain the calipers are GT vs. 2.5i specific due to the rotor size difference.

Lastly I've also read about the rebuild kits, worth the trouble? Is it relatively easy to do?

Thoughts? suggestions? Please post is up.

Thanks!

1) Go to Autozone

2) Enquire about a reman caliper

3) Purchase reman caliper

4) Swap

5) Return your caliper for core

6) done.

In my experience, a reman caliper has been $75 including a $50 core charge. Might be a little more for the Spec-B, but it's not a 4-piston alum. caliper so it shouldn't cost TOO much. Probably ~$125 incl $50 core or something.

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/proper-flip-key-interesti-159894.html"]Flip Key Development Thread[/URL] "Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." - E. Hubbard

1) Might be a little more for the Spec-B, but it's not a 4-piston alum. caliper so it shouldn't cost TOO much. Probably ~$125 incl $50 core or something.

Nothing special about the spec.b calipers, although Vimy might say differently.

A remaned is certainly the easiest way to go. I'll also look at greasing the pads ... thanks capt.

The link I posted above is for the LGT caliper. I can only assume that the brakes are at least similar between the LGT and the Spec B...

If only Autozone had reman'd rear calipers...

I just had a problem with my front driver's side where the pins were fine but one of the caliper pistons was frozen up. You might want to check that too. If you can't squeeze it in with a standard c-clamp then there's your problem. I had to take my caliper of and crank it in a vice to break mine loose...

Welby ... I read your post on pulling out the piston, replacing the seal and putting it back together eventhough it was kind of pitted. Did this work in the long run? Is it easy enough to do (taking appart the caliper) and putting it back together?

Went with a reman'd from a local parts store. I installed it last night, works great.

I didn't even consider that in the first place because, silly me, I called the stealership asked for prices on new and reman'd and they said "oh that's a 2006, they don't make remans for them yet. $300 for a new one **stands w/ hand out**"

That's what you get for listening to the dealer .... g-damn crooks!

Welby ... I read your post on pulling out the piston, replacing the seal and putting it back together eventhough it was kind of pitted. Did this work in the long run? Is it easy enough to do (taking appart the caliper) and putting it back together?

It seems like it's holding up fine, but who knows for how long, lol. Every now and then I still get a slight vibration on braking, but I'm wondering if my stuck piston actually warped the rotor a little bit. I'm not going to worry about it unless it gets bad again. If it does, I'll get a rebuilt one like you did :)

Is the car still under warranty? If so it should be covered.

-mike

I just past 36k ... wouldn't have mattered anyway Kinney Subaru in Rutland, VT (trying to smear their name as much as possible) is worthless!

Not only can they not diagnose and fix simple problems, but to cover their tracks they claim it is related to the non-factory parts that are installed and charge you for the estimate. Needless to say, they are not mod-friendly.

Avoid them at all costs.

Archived