LegacyGT.com

How many miles on your CVT? Any Issues?

I brought my 2011 Legacy 2.5i CVT with 135,000 miles on it to my local dealer after receiving the warranty letter. For over a year now I've had the stumbling and stalling after coming to an abrupt stop. After inspection, they replaced my torque converter under the extended warranty with no questions. I am very happy with the service I received and the car runs great now.

• Replies 600
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm new to this forum (just started having transmission problems). Mine is 2.5l, 4-cyl Outback. Is it the same CVT as a 2010 Legacy (I also own one of those)?

My problem started a couple of months ago when I noticed an occasional squeal and slight hesitation when cruising between 30mph and 65 mph. I took it to the dealer, they tested and couldn't identify the problem. I took it back last week and the said it's the transmission. I bought the car used, 2 years ago. It had 89,000 miles then and now has about 125,000. We love the car, but don't love the $9000 price tag of a new transmission.

I'm in Toronto. Any suggestions about how to proceed. Looks like we missed the extended warranty that I've seen discussed. Thanks.

5subes, call Subaru of Canada and ask if they intend to offer the same warranty that we received in the States.

Thanks for the suggestion. Mine has 125k miles. I think that they offered only up to 100k, is that correct? I'll certainly try anyway.

Thanks for the suggestion. Mine has 125k miles. I think that they offered only up to 100k, is that correct? I'll certainly try anyway.

INCORRECT. Every car in the campaign (starts with 2010 model year) gets the warranty -- regardless of mileage -- until July 31, 2018.

After 7/31/2018, then it is 10 years or 100k miles, whichever is first.

Just contact SOA and explain your situation and give them your VIN number.

Laughing at Oneself and with Others is Good for the Soul[emoji16]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

INCORRECT. Every car in the campaign (starts with 2010 model year) gets the warranty -- regardless of mileage -- until July 31, 2018.

After 7/31/2018, then it is 10 years or 100k miles, whichever is first.

Agreed!! see page 3 of this article:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/jensen/2017/07/07/facing-complaints-subaru-offers-extended-warranties-on-1-5-million-vehicles/3/#504ef9a66492

Continued from page 2

The new warranty extends it to 10 years or 100,000 miles, whichever comes first.

Vehicles that are already older or have higher mileage have a one-year extension, ending July 31, 2018.

The automaker also says owners who paid for transmission repairs after the normal warranty expired are eligible to be reimbursed.

I would make sure Subaru Canada is included in this campaign.

Just under 67k miles on mine and only the occasional strange surge forward when I first start braking.

35k miles on a '15 crosstrek cvt, but it behaves substantially different from the '14 legacy. No issues there either.

I'm new to this forum (just started having transmission problems). Mine is 2.5l, 4-cyl Outback. Is it the same CVT as a 2010 Legacy (I also own one of those)?

My problem started a couple of months ago when I noticed an occasional squeal and slight hesitation when cruising between 30mph and 65 mph. I took it to the dealer, they tested and couldn't identify the problem. I took it back last week and the said it's the transmission. I bought the car used, 2 years ago. It had 89,000 miles then and now has about 125,000. We love the car, but don't love the $9000 price tag of a new transmission.

I'm in Toronto. Any suggestions about how to proceed. Looks like we missed the extended warranty that I've seen discussed. Thanks.

In response to my own post, here's an update. When the dealer told me that it probably needed a new transmission, the service advisor said that we could first try to drain and refill the fluid. $400+ later, I drove away and heard the same squeal a couple of times. Subsequently (for a week) the squeal is gone! I've done a lot of city driving this week and have also driven a return trip, Toronto to Buffalo, with NO problems! Hopefully changing the fluid (which they told me was quite dirty) has corrected the problem. I also informed the dealer that I was aware of the Warranty extension in the US, but they were 'unaware' of this in Canada.

Thanks again for the help in this forum.

Here is the invoice on my wife's 11' legacy that had just over 100k miles and was able to get it repaired no charge. Faulty trans torque converter. Anyone know what the actual charges would be? Im guessing torque converter alone is just under 600 bucks... 4ab8ad3de61ba1945c4a7b87aa96eba8.jpg

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Edited by tocinoman25

Follow me on IG @chefodiycarguy

and @chefo.soriano

I received the letter. I have 93k and the car maybe once every two months when coming to a stop feels like it will stall but it never does. I also can't hit the gas too soon when I'm in reverse then switching it to drive or I get a clunk/unnatural feeling. Never had any other car do this, and I live in a busy street, so I can not doddle when backing out of my driveway onto the street.

Looking at that repair order, I'm surprised the description says they replaced the TC but only "top off" the fluid as opposed to exchanging all the fluid. However, the line item "12 SOA635304 CVTF-II" indicates they billed for 12 quarts of cvt fluid suggesting a full fluid change was completed.

Reading all the posts here and in the Outback forum has gotten me a bit worried about my CVT. Just yesterday I experienced an extreme dip in RPMs while waiting at a light. I've experienced dips before, but this time it felt like the engine nearly stalled as if I dropped the clutch in a manual. It did recover however, but this is unnervingly similar to what others have experienced.

I sent an email to Subaru Canada about this warranty extension and this is what they sent back:

Dear MasterPeon:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Subaru Canada Inc.

There is no program of this nature in Canada at this time. However, if something is released and it is applicable to your vehicle you will receive a notification via first class mail.

Best Regards,

Rachel | Assistant Manager, Customer Loyalty,

Subaru Canada, Inc. | 560 Suffolk Crt., Mississauga, Ontario L5R 4J7

http://www.subaru.ca

So basically, Canadians don't get this. Lucky Americans!

Reading all the posts here and in the Outback forum has gotten me a bit worried about my CVT. Just yesterday I experienced an extreme dip in RPMs while waiting at a light. I've experienced dips before, but this time it felt like the engine nearly stalled as if I dropped the clutch in a manual. It did recover however, but this is unnervingly similar to what others have experienced.

I sent an email to Subaru Canada about this warranty extension and this is what they sent back:

Dear MasterPeon:

Thank you for taking the time to contact Subaru Canada Inc.

There is no program of this nature in Canada at this time. However, if something is released and it is applicable to your vehicle you will receive a notification via first class mail.

Best Regards,

Rachel | Assistant Manager, Customer Loyalty,

Subaru Canada, Inc. | 560 Suffolk Crt., Mississauga, Ontario L5R 4J7

http://www.subaru.ca

So basically, Canadians don't get this. Lucky Americans!

I received the same answer from Subaru Canada, word for word. Us Canadians get no respect.

I just dropped my 2.5i na to the dealer. I had to make them aware of the TSB. The service advisor was actually surprised by it. He wasn't aware.

Looks like they are going to take care of me and my Legacy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just dropped my 2.5i na to the dealer. I had to make them aware of the TSB. The service advisor was actually surprised by it. He wasn't aware.

Looks like they are going to take care of me and my Legacy.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Are TSBs covered for free under this or only free under B2B? What TSB and what was it for? My issue is so sporadic so I'm not sure how to approach the dealership.

Are TSBs covered for free under this or only free under B2B? What TSB and what was it for? My issue is so sporadic so I'm not sure how to approach the dealership.

I believe they used the TSB as leverage to get the CVT repaired. My subaru dealer called back and said it was specifically the torque converter and that the repair will be covered, no charge to me. Repair will be covered under the warranty not the TSB. They should have it done by Friday.

I was able to recreate the stalling in my car. I kinda wish I got video of it. But the way I was able to get it to stall was:

Let me just preface this by saying, this worked on my Legacy. It may or may not work for yours. Please be extremely careful trying this. I won't be responsible for damage to you, your legacy or any other property. Find a place where you can try this. Open parking lot or something. Just be careful.

Okay....

Put the car in drive and drive normally for a about 15-20 sec.

Then put it in manual mode.

Continue to drive normally using the paddle shifter.

Find a stop sign. Preferably one where there's not a lot of traffic.

Coming up to a stop sign don't use the paddle shifters to lower the gears.

As you apply the brake to slow down, when you get close to the stop sign press more firmly on the brake, almost like a short stop.

When I did this the car shuddered terribly, stalled then died. I had to put it in park then restart the car.

Good Luck.

I'll try that. What speeds should I be going prior to stopping?

Do you get these issues without using manual mode? I've never found a reason to use manual mode. I wish the gear ratio for manual mode was more like a sports car but I feel I can just stomp on the gas with the CVT and get the same results.

I'll try that. What speeds should I be going prior to stopping?

Do you get these issues without using manual mode? I've never found a reason to use manual mode. I wish the gear ratio for manual mode was more like a sports car but I feel I can just stomp on the gas with the CVT and get the same results.

I was in a residential area, so around those speeds when slowing down. I have experienced the issue less frequently while in automatic mode as well. I was just able to duplicate them in manual mode.

Also this is my wife's Legacy. I have a LGT....I do get the sports car feel! :cool: