LegacyGT.com

6MT Master Swap Thread

HAMMER DOWN

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

anyone know if the 4EAT wagon driveshaft will fit into the R180 rear diff? or do i need to swap the plate from my r160 diff to make it fit? the driveshaft is the last of the parts necessary for my swap and will be here tomorrow!

input appreciated

:spin:

When I installed my spec B transmission with a Spec B driveshaft it bolted right up to an R160 rear end out of a WRX. As such I am assuming the yolks are the same

well wasn't the 06 spec B a 6-spd with an R160?...makes me question which spec b driveshaft you have.

I know first hand that r160s and r180s have different flanges.

well wasn't the 06 spec B a 6-spd with an R160?...makes me question which spec b driveshaft you have.

I know first hand that r160s and r180s have different flanges.

The 06 spec B was a 5 speed. The 07 was the first 6 speed Spec B which had an r180 rear end. The flange on the spec B 6 speed driveshaft bolts right up to an r 160 WRX rear end. I know this because I crawled underneath my car and bolted it up. WRX r160 and STI r180 flanges are different.

Edited by KCwagon

you'll also need an AUTO legacy drive shaft.. and 07-09 Spec B rear axles.

Please go read the thread. this question is answered about 1000 times.

i know wrx r160 and sti r180's are different, but what about a legacy r160 and wrx r160? i will be bolting up a 4eat legacy wagon driveshaft to my 04 sti r180. do i need to swap brackets from the r160 to the r180?

i know wrx r160 and sti r180's are different, but what about a legacy r160 and wrx r160? i will be bolting up a 4eat legacy wagon driveshaft to my 04 sti r180. do i need to swap brackets from the r160 to the r180?

Yes.

The 06 spec B was a 5 speed. The 07 was the first 6 speed Spec B which had an r180 rear end. The flange on the spec B 6 speed driveshaft bolts right up to an r 160 WRX rear end. I know this because I crawled underneath my car and bolted it up. WRX r160 and STI r180 flanges are different.

Very interesting. Didn't mean to sound like I was doubting you. So STi's and Spec B's much have different R180 flanges then...

Just for for people currently debating on doing this, here is what I paid for parts

$3500 shipped

33,xxx miles 2007 sti 6 speed

- clutch, pressure plate, slave cylinder, fork, fork pin, throw out bearing,

- shifter and all linkage

- reverse and neutral light switches and connectors/cables

- all four axles

- driveshaft

$80 picked up locally

2003 wrx 3.54 rear diff 55,xxx miles on car (saw odometer of car it came from)

$100 shipped

*Assembled FROM 4/30/2005 legacy 2.5i 4eat driveshaft

call salvage yards all through out the states, easiest way to get them. Just go to ebay and search 06 legacy driveshaft and then personally call the place that has the listing and you can just offer them what you think is fair and they will all work with you. Mine should have been $140 shipped, but I talked them down.

*note there is a driveshaft assembled PRIOR 4/30/2005. I took a chance assuming the one we need is from 4/30/05-2009 model, so I did not purchase the prior 4/30/05 unit.

Now I can sell the STI clutch assembly, four axles and driveshaft for money back in my pocket! I could even sell my 5speed swap for more cash, but I dealt with putting my wrx back to stock from a 6speed (got WAYYYY more money parting it out), so it is just easier, saves money, and less work to keep my 5 speed stuff.

I'll be doing the swap at the end of the week, and add some info to the thread if needed.

DK

Edited by wrxtacy2003

For you guys arguing aboot the rear diffs there are a few things you gotta understand

The rear diff is realy two things a hypoid gear set and spyider gear differential.

Seams like most differential issues are with the spider gear set what distroys the spider gear sets is 1 wheel spining.

And this will distroy any diff.

Im sure the 180 is stronger than the 160 but if a 160 set up with a mini spool or shimed up lsd clutches would handle big hp.

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Does anyone know if the neutral safety switch parameters can be changed with an Accessport. The reason being - When I swapped a 6 speed for the 5, I left the 6 speed neutral safety switch in the transmission. I know the grounds are opposite for the 5 and 6 speed. It would be nice to fix this via computer rather than via my garage floor. I also read on another forum that the Neutral Safety Switch effects the avcs. (no avcs in neutral) Is this true?

If anyone definitively know the answer let me know.