LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your Outback today? V3

Funny I may have gained one that hovers around 70mph.

Luckily it's 80+ around here or you'll get run over. ;)

Trying to determine if this is road feels or actual speed shakes. Had the tires rotated and balanced... Not much changed. Time for my suspension update and alignment.

FYI, 2020 Outback is getting a turbo XT model again. 2.4L DI flat 4 with 6 speed CVT. Similar power as 4th gen NA and turbo models, but a decent boost to mpg and an 800 lb boost to towing.

Maybe in 2023 i'll start looking at used cars...

* Build Thread * 26.53 MPG - 12 month Average *

yeah. forgot to mention that I got rid of a slight steering wheel shake around 80mph after replacing all pads and rotors. was not expecting that.

Idk if you were experiencing fade/pull to one side or the other when braking harder but now that is gone as well. Feels great now, kinda wish I wouldve got a more aggressive pad, maybe after a week or so they'll bed more and have a harder pedal feel. Either way I'm satisfied

FYI, 2020 Outback is getting a turbo XT model again. 2.4L DI flat 4 with 6 speed CVT. Similar power as 4th gen NA and turbo models, but a decent boost to mpg and an 800 lb boost to towing.

Maybe in 2023 i'll start looking at used cars...

so ugly though. :hide:

Idk if you were experiencing fade/pull to one side or the other when braking harder but now that is gone as well. Feels great now, kinda wish I wouldve got a more aggressive pad, maybe after a week or so they'll bed more and have a harder pedal feel. Either way I'm satisfied

no pull for me. But I also wished my pads were more agressive as well. Haven't driven much though. We shall see how it goes.

The new XT will just be a replacement for the aging H6 models. 2019 officially marks the death of the Subaru H6 motor.

On topic, I've been slowly putting my OBXT back together. New (used) motor is in, exhaust is mostly on, engine harness is on and just about everything is connected. Just slowly finishing up attaching the intake manifold and the mess of vacuum lines I have to deal with. I've forgotten where all my vac lines go so I'm just going in blind trying to remember stuff now.

GsT6xsH.jpg

Funny I may have gained one that hovers around 70mph.

Luckily it's 80+ around here or you'll get run over. ;)

Trying to determine if this is road feels or actual speed shakes. Had the tires rotated and balanced... Not much changed. Time for my suspension update and alignment.

Well the shake is back. Only thing I can think of is the aftermarket axle I had put into 2-3mo ago. May head to the junkyard to hunt down a used oem one and see what that does

Got a CEL today. P0021. Just cruising along at 60 on the freeway. No symptoms.

Took the hopefully easy way out and bought cheap oil did a flush (it's amazingly dirty looking for only 7 minutes of idling) then refilled with my normal Motul. Hopefully that cleaned out the OCV. Other wise I'll have to pull and clean it.

Yeah. This is one piece of info I always have on my 'dash' since it tells me that my ocvs are working OK when their angle stays in sync at all times; which also implies that oiling to the turbo is working OK, and the banjo bolt filters are not clogged (in case you still have them). At least, that is how I interpret this data.

Well the shake is back. Only thing I can think of is the aftermarket axle I had put into 2-3mo ago. May head to the junkyard to hunt down a used oem one and see what that does

I'm wondering if 220K on my front hubs is making this happen. I just don't have time right now for a suspension update.

Wow that's up there so I'd be inclined to say most likely. Even bushings, endlinks maybe with the sway bar. I just passed 80k so I find it a bit odd that it's been inconsistent that past 15ishK

Yeah. This is one piece of info I always have on my 'dash' since it tells me that my ocvs are working OK when their angle stays in sync at all times; which also implies that oiling to the turbo is working OK, and the banjo bolt filters are not clogged (in case you still have them). At least, that is how I interpret this data.

I wonder if all this is because I overfilled the oil once? But when I was monitoring them I noticed the left hand side had trouble (compared to the right) keeping target. Like the VVT angle would stay low then shoot up then drop down. The VVTs for the right hand side were just more stable / fluctuated less.

I flushed the engine oil and changed it. Everything seems to be running smoother. I guess this time around my 5k oci with overfilling it didn't go so well. At least hoping that was it. I don't want to remove / clean an OCV or investigate why I am not hitting target boost.

I just boosted yesterday and didn't get a check engine light. So I got that going for me.

Edited by Rhitter

when do you feel vibration? rpm or speed dependent?

I've searched the infamous shake. There is a certain RPM range it is more noticeable and then gone. Theis new shake is the steering wheel itself, not the trans. Still would be best to swap in a replacement again.

Alignment is spot on, but at higher speeds probably 65+ it wiggles. All wheels have been balanced again after doing the rotors/brakes too

I wonder if all this is because I overfilled the oil once? But when I was monitoring them I noticed the left hand side had trouble (compared to the right) keeping target. Like the VVT angle would stay low then shoot up then drop down. The VVTs for the right hand side were just more stable / fluctuated less.

I flushed the engine oil and changed it. Everything seems to be running smoother. I guess this time around my 5k oci with overfilling it didn't go so well. At least hoping that was it. I don't want to remove / clean an OCV or investigate why I am not hitting target boost.

I just boosted yesterday and didn't get a check engine light. So I got that going for me.

mmh. I don't see why overfilling the oil would cause your VVT angles to be off. did you remove your banjo bolt filters ? And checking the ocv is really quick unless you have that air box thing on the driver side.

I've searched the infamous shake. There is a certain RPM range it is more noticeable and then gone. Theis new shake is the steering wheel itself, not the trans. Still would be best to swap in a replacement again.

Alignment is spot on, but at higher speeds probably 65+ it wiggles. All wheels have been balanced again after doing the rotors/brakes too

have you carefully checked the two bolts that let the brake caliper float? Sometimes they can get seized. when I swapped all four rotors I had one bolt out of 8 that was ceased.

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Banjo bolt is still in (filter / screen) it is oriented different in the 08s and seems to stay cleaner.

I have an air pump (Yay). I'll have some time on Sunday for my car. I'll probably just raise it though and not do any useful trouble shooting. Maybe try and replace a rear wheel bearing..

Banjo bolt is still in (filter / screen) it is oriented different in the 08s and seems to stay cleaner.

I have an air pump (Yay). I'll have some time on Sunday for my car. I'll probably just raise it though and not do any useful trouble shooting. Maybe try and replace a rear wheel bearing..

Which banjo bolt is in? Driver side or passenger side?

And yeah. Sucks to have that air pump.

Finally installed two led strips for the trunk area. SO freaking nice. These will be so useful while car camping, stopping on long road trip to cook some food 'on the go' and stuff. Not too bright, not too dark.

I cut these two strips from a 25 ft long roll. There are actually red/green/blue leds on these. But I decided to get them 'stuck' to white and hooked them to the trunk light switch (i.e. soldered the +/- wires in parallel to the light bulb connections). Not a heavy current load for the BIU (especially given the fact that I have leds everywhere already).

Next up will be a long led strip for the rear footwells, and a couple for the front foot wells. Those will be used in conjunction with a dimmer, remote control and stuff (so we can change color too). At least that's the plan for now. Discooooo :lol:

IMG_20190427_132405.thumb.jpg.f1f8374768cbc18447a3cd44845167d5.jpg

IMG_20190427_134920.thumb.jpg.cd59c80ffd39ac3146229a68fd9ea87e.jpg

IMG_20190427_142742.thumb.jpg.04886345804a9a73c2dda72f9e3e0782.jpg

IMG_20190427_200713.thumb.jpg.c0a786d9d790dc89dc318bb90f229faf.jpg

IMG_20190427_200654.thumb.jpg.142d180a1990578de0ccd2a607909afe.jpg

IMG_20190427_200628.thumb.jpg.10b410930adeb917cdb8d68f6530b1eb.jpg

IMG_20190427_200739.thumb.jpg.44052cb78fc196acbe53ee7f09669ad2.jpg

IMG_20190427_200618.thumb.jpg.8f77df7b551d84922fb31ca74f4ec0d3.jpg

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Attempted to replace a wheel bearing and gave up at putting the new one back on. The new hub won't slide far enough onto the axle spline that I can bolt it in place. It stays just far enough away that everything is annoying.

Reminds me why I haven't messed with anything in a long time.