LegacyGT.com

Sway Bar question - all 6th Gen Legacies?

I've read quite a bit about the benefits of the sway bar upgrade - I have a question. Does this upgrade benefit all 6th Gen Legacies? Did Subaru correct the issue at some point on their own?

I bought my 2019 Legacy 3.6R 10 days ago - loving it so far. But I can resist a $100 upgrade! This is my very first Subaru. :)

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've read quite a bit about the benefits of the sway bar upgrade - I have a question. Does this upgrade benefit all 6th Gen Legacies? Did Subaru correct the issue at some point on their own? I bought my 2019 Legacy 3.6R 10 days ago - loving it so far. But I can resist a $100 upgrade! This is my very first Subaru. :)

You will get many opinions on this topic :) There are quite a few members who will swear by sway bars, and then there are others who haven't installed them. I belong to the second category. I have never felt any "sway" problems or had any trouble keeping the vehicle in straight line in my 2016 3.6R from the day I bought it .... but then again I do drive like a grandma I guess :lol:

I never had problems with keeping the car going straight before or after my 20mm rear sway bar, but it sure reduces body roll around corners. My route to and from work has multiple roundabouts and the effect is quite noticeable there. I wouldn't be unhappy with the car without the upgrade, but it's a big enough difference to warrant the fairly cheap upgrade IMO.

I've read quite a bit about the benefits of the sway bar upgrade - I have a question. Does this upgrade benefit all 6th Gen Legacies? Did Subaru correct the issue at some point on their own?

I bought my 2019 Legacy 3.6R 10 days ago - loving it so far. But I can resist a $100 upgrade! This is my very first Subaru. :)

Do to the size of the vehicle I recommend an adjustable 22mm Whitle Line or Perrin..

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I've read quite a bit about the benefits of the sway bar upgrade - I have a question. Does this upgrade benefit all 6th Gen Legacies?

Benefits are solely in the seat of the pants of the beholder. The rear suspension of all Gen 6 Legacys is virtually identical, so the effect of a different RSB will be the same across model years.

Did Subaru correct the issue at some point on their own?
There was nothing to "correct." Subaru engineers chose what they considered to be the optimum rear roll stiffness for "average" driving environments. Some drivers prefer it to be stiffer, and Subaru just happens to have other suitable RSBs in the parts bin.

My advice is to keep the OE 16mm RSB for at least 6 months, then replace it only if you decide you really need something stiffer. Consider that the 19mm RSB will be twice as stiff in torsion as the OE 16mm bar.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

Benefits are solely in the seat of the pants of the beholder. The rear suspension of all Gen 6 Legacys is virtually identical, so the effect of a different RSB will be the same across model years.

There was nothing to "correct." Subaru engineers chose what they considered to be the optimum rear roll stiffness. Some drivers prefer it stiffer, and Subaru just happens to have other suitable RSBs in the parts bin.

My advice is to keep the OE 16mm RSB for at least 6 months, then replace it only if you decide you really need something stiffer. Consider that the 19mm RSB will be twice as stiff in torsion as the OE 16mm bar.

I thought the Limited trim had an upgraded suspension (at least for the '17 model year)?

Sent from my SM-T380 using Tapatalk

I thought the Limited trim had an upgraded suspension (at least for the '17 model year)?

As far as I know, the only changes were slight tuning of shock/strut damping, and possibly changes to bushing compliance. The basic suspension geometry was unchanged.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I was happy with the upgrade. I suppose the car was fine without it but I was daily driving European sport sedans for years that felt glued to the road. I found the roll disconcerting. My wife on the other hand likes the lighter feel. (She had a Saturn Vue now a Forester).

Lighting Mods

Low Beams: D4S - OSRAM XENARC 66440 CBI HID BULBS

Highbeam/DRL: 9005 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 9005NBUHCB BULBS

Fog: H11 - OSRAM NIGHT BREAKER UNLIMITED 64211NBU-01B BULBS

Subaru 20mm RSB

For normal driving, this is a VERY modest upgrade. When you get on it in the twisties (take a hard turn), is when you'll notice the benefit.

Sway bars are ONLY for when you're turning (i.e., the suspension is loaded). A RSB will transfer grip from rear to front, minimizing oversteer, making the car feel more tail-happy. Note: there's plenty of built-in under-steer, so don't worry about the car becoming unsafe with a 20mm OEM replacement.

I'm not going to cover imperfections in the road, for which a thicker anti-sway bar will increase harshness slightly.

Edited by gathermewool

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

yes the 20mm rear bar benefits all legacies that do not have it. it keeps the car flatter when turning and when going down the twisties... also allows you to take the clover ramps faster so you can merge better on short entrance ramps

Hmm this thread makes me wonder. Was thinking about seeing if there is any benefit in trading my 15 for an 18 or 19.. In part for improved handling/stability but it doesn't sound like it ll be worth it for that?

You'd mostly be wasting your money upgrading if your goal is better handling....

If I upgrade, it'll be to the global platform...

'15 FB25

Magnatec 0W-20 + FU filter (70,517 miles)

RSB, Fr. Strut Bar, Tint, STI BBS, LED er'where

You'd mostly be wasting your money upgrading if your goal is better handling....

If I upgrade, it'll be to the global platform...

That's what I was afraid of. Need to put new tires on it soon so was debating whether I should still make that investment or not. Perhaps I should get the sway bar done tho bc Ive gotten very tired of this car getting air time and become floppy every time I hit a bump. Became very obvious after driving a Merc as a rental for a few weeks.

Has anyone noticed a ride detriment with the bigger 22mm swaybars? I drive some really, really rough sealcoated roads that are twisty as heck. Car still rides great but not over that garbage. Getting outhandled by Traverses and Cherokees in it.

Has anyone noticed a ride detriment with the bigger 22mm swaybars?

If you're asking for your 1999 Legacy (per your profile), you should probably post this question in the 3rd Gen forum.

spacer.png

So, I had my Legacy on the highway for the first time - about 70/75 mph or so. And when I first got up to speed, there was a very odd sensation that there was a significant crosswind.

I don't know if it was one of these things... I'm leaning towards #3 because it seemed to get better as I drove:

1. Suspension "challenges" (would a sway bar change help?)

2. EyeSight messing with me

3. Simply adjusting myself to the steering sensitivity of the Legacy.

To be fair... my last car was a MB E350. That car just tracked and actually got better with speed.

So, I had my Legacy on the highway for the first time - about 70/75 mph or so. And when I first got up to speed, there was a very odd sensation that there was a significant crosswind.

I don't know if it was one of these things... I'm leaning towards #3 because it seemed to get better as I drove:

1. Suspension "challenges" (would a sway bar change help?)

2. EyeSight messing with me

3. Simply adjusting myself to the steering sensitivity of the Legacy.

To be fair... my last car was a MB E350. That car just tracked and actually got better with speed.

Rear Sway will always help the side to sway the New Lane assistance tries keeping car within the lanes as well so it's that electronic factor and new technology

Rear Sway will always help the side to sway the New Lane assistance tries keeping car within the lanes as well so it's that electronic factor and new technology

Going from a Merk to a Legacy Gen 6? There is no comparison. It is going to feel like a shopping cart on the highway.. Going faster doesn't make it better, there is a learning curve. Unfortunately it's learning to accept that the car does what it wants. LOL>

I felt the same way at first, these things felt downright dangerous on the highway. My first problem is the dealer had the tires inflated to 45 psi when I bought it. Once I got to the recommended 33 and 32 it was much better, but it didn't get decent until I did the SSD strut bar and a conservative 19mm rear sway bar. You could go stiffer I'm sure....but its a completely different car now.

Sent from my HTC U11 using Tapatalk

Edited by DougKelly20

I felt the same way at first, these things felt downright dangerous on the highway.

Sorry to appear abrupt Doug ... but IMPO that comment is ridiculous. Whilst you might get some sort of support to that statement from a very "tiny section" on this forum, and I take on board the comments from others from the more constructive larger forum section who might consider that handling is "improved" by adding a sway bar ... to even suggest that "these things are dangerous on the highway" is ignorant in the extreme. I don't know what your driving habits are ... and perhaps if you are the sort of person who gets a buzz out of going full bore around corners, then maybe you would be somewhat disappointed in your vehicle .... but if you wanted a race car then you should have looked elsewhere.

Sorry to appear abrupt Doug ... but IMPO that comment is ridiculous. Whilst you might get some sort of support to that statement from a very "tiny section" on this forum, and I take on board the comments from others from the more constructive larger forum section who might consider that handling is "improved" by adding a sway bar ... to even suggest that "these things are dangerous on the highway" is ignorant in the extreme. I don't know what your driving habits are ... and perhaps if you are the sort of person who gets a buzz out of going full bore around corners, then maybe you would be somewhat disappointed in your vehicle .... but if you wanted a race car then you should have looked elsewhere.
You're right the language was extreme, my apologies...but the tire pressure issue made the car very twitchy....and as I do drive very aggressively and came from a wrx and optima sxt, both with tighter suspension, it took me by surprise how different it was and how much it seemed to wander around.

The main point you should take from my post is that those upgrades were awesome and they weren't expensive. Anyone who does spirited driving should consider them.

I felt the same way at first, these things felt downright dangerous on the highway. My first problem is the dealer had the tires inflated to 45 psi when I bought it. Once I got to the recommended 33 and 32 it was much better, but it didn't get decent until I did the SSD strut bar and a conservative 19mm rear sway bar. You could go stiffer I'm sure....but its a completely different car now.

Strut bah? Eh? On the towa's? NE accent.

Wow. IMPO you calling him out for a simple statement of his experience prior to his upgrades is.... I don't believe in labeling or putting people into boxes. The great part about this forum is being able to speak our minds without the PC police repremanding anyone. I have been called stupid and shamed on this forum. What a person posts matters, isn't that why the forum is here for? My 3.6R isn't my first Subaru and we have at least 10 in my family. I have driven every generation of the Legacy including the 2nd Gen GT, 3rd Gen GT, rare 5th Gen GT... Plan on test driving the new XT or whatever they badge it 7th Gen. Anyways, the handling on the car is scary and more attention has been paid in the new generation. I hope nobody has been seriously hurt by stability issues with this car.

Wow. IMPO you calling him out for a simple statement of his experience prior to his upgrades is.... I don't believe in labeling or putting people into boxes. QUOTE]

Beamer .. what a surprise that you have come out in support of the OP :lol:

I think the OP's statement "that these things are DANGEROUS on the highway" deserved ridicule, as have some of your previous statements .. not all, but definitately some. (Just for one example, when you complained about poor vehicle tracking but admitted that you had mismatched tires fitted?????)

I have no problem with you and anyone else expressing an opinion on the road holding capabilities of these vehicles, and then suggesting mods that might give them their preferred ride .... but to make a blanket statement that "these things" ... (meaning thereby ALL these cars) are "dangerous on the highway" is in my opinion, without evidence and baseless.

That is not to say that you haven't had problems with your car ... and I have previously said that if what you are saying is genuine, then you must have a real lemon, and like many other forum members, I can't believe why you have not ditched the car. But your individual unfortunate experience does not justify you, or the OP, to categorically state that "these things are dangerous on the highway" ..... there might well be other vehicles that perform better on the highway ( I don't know for a fact if that is true or not, but let's assume it is) ... but to label ALL these Subaru models as DANGEROUS, is with respect, stupid.