LegacyGT.com

JDM bilstein 5056 coil sleeve for rear. DONE

dukeneverwinter

pyro, I understand now. Thank you both for the feedback.

Do any of you know the spring rate of the sti pink springs wagon specific? I have those on my other car and yeah, that's stiff! But once you add substantial weight in the trunk, the ride becomes comfy.

The Outback bumpstop is a bit bigger than the Legacy GT one. But bottoming out still could be an issue I suppose.

Yes but the outback’s rear suspension also has an almost 1in body lift. If you want to run spacers in the back, you need to put a spacer on the bumpstop as well. Not super hard to fab up as the stock one has a pretty long threaded section. Just pull it off and stack some washers under it.

pyro, I understand now. Thank you both for the feedback.

Do any of you know the spring rate of the sti pink springs wagon specific? I have those on my other car and yeah, that's stiff! But once you add substantial weight in the trunk, the ride becomes comfy.

59N/mm or ~335lb

Wagon/sedan have the same spring rate, but the wagon one is ~10mm longer.

Edited by utc_pyro

59N/mm or ~335lb

Wagon/sedan have the same spring rate, but the wagon one is ~10mm longer.

Really? My car feels like it is 450 lb or more. Very stiff, like a race car almost.

The 05 has the rallitek overload (350 lb) and it feels way softer. So that must be the dampener setting then or something..

Binding I guess could be the word? I am not sure if there is enough room between the spring purches for the spring to not fully compress before I run out of travel to the bumpstop.

I'll draw a picture and post tonight or tomorrow

Sent from my LG-LS997 using Tapatalk

Not sure if I get it but, are you saying that the sleeve is too tall? Or are you saying that the spring has little travel left due to the amount of preload you have?

Recalling the previous discussion with utc_pyro, and if I got this right this time :spin:, assuming your 10" spring has 167 mm of max displacement and you have 42 mm of preload, that leaves you with 167-42=125mm of displacement. Our shock may have 123+25=148mm of total displacement. So you do run out of spring displacement while still being left with a noticeable amount of shock displacement (148-125=23mm). Is that what you meant?

Running out of spring travel.

You guys are both far more practiced at putting thought to paper.

The measured amount of shock shaft is around 140mm or so. Hard to measure exactly with everything installed.

According to the specs I found via Eibach. These 350lb 10in springs have a fully compressed height of 4 inchs. So 101.6mm

The second picture is from the metal base of the bump stop to the landing pad. Not sure it would be possible to fully compress the bumpstop. So I may be able to only use about 125-130 mm or so of travel anyway.

baadf2f6c5d5933805cc9a0e40b7fe56.jpg5f2e967d4011f90def3bcb42ab3cfc59.jpg

Edited by dukeneverwinter

So, would the solution be to add spacers and decrease the amount of preload? I think it would be reasonable given your goals. If you were to add 1" spacers, then you can gain some more travel. Or, longer springs could help a little?

As for me, I did the whole install this past Saturday afternoon. As I previously said, I was using 1" HDPE spacers combined with the rallitek springs and stock USDM top hats. It resulted in 450mm ride height between fender and hub.

When I swapped the springs with the Eibach, I decided to install these 2" heavy duty ADF spacers (I know pyro, it goes against what you advised :spin:). Then, I put as little preload as I could (i.e., just enough turns to fully engage the adjusting nut). I can't believe it but it resulted in exactly the same ride height!! So zero adjustment needed at this point. And I am very happy with how it rides. No too harsh at all. The ride almost feels like my STI pink springs but more comfy. Loving it. Wife approves too.

Next test will be to fully load the car, as if we were to go on a trip, and see if I can adjust the ride height. That will be interesting...

Edited by xt2005bonbon

I ordered 12" springs and will use a spring compressor to preload to the pount I can thread them. Again, not ideal, but we would have to find a 7" long sleeve that had the snap ring seat in the perfect spot.

I had orginally ordered the 7" sleeve. But the snapring seat is in the same spot as the 5". So there would have been almost 2 inches sticking past where the shock shaft enters the shock.

I see. I forgot to mention that my sleeve is sitting on groove #3 (middle) out of 5 of the shock (not the lowest like you I think). Now that I think about it, if you did like me or selected the highest groove, it would have also helped decrease the amount of preload.

Also, did you notice that you can flip the sleeve when you install it on the shock body?

Edited by xt2005bonbon

Because I occasionally rally cross, I am hesitate to be able to bottom the shock can at all. I need to maintain use of the bump stop. So if the 12" springs don't work with preload, i'll probably use a spacer for the shock AND find a way to space out the bumo stop a little also.

I see. I forgot to mention that my sleeve is sitting on groove #3 (middle) out of 5 of the shock (not the lowest like you I think). Now that I think about it, if you did like me or selected the highest groove, it would have also helped decrease the amount of preload.

Also, did you notice that you can flip the sleeve when you install it on the shock body?

I saw that it was possible. But one side had a tapered spot and the other was a square edge type. I selected the square edge so it would sit on the snapring squarely

Well bummer. 12" springs won't work as is. At least woth my cheapy spring compressors. No room between the shock and spring for the "claws" to fit. So for now, i'll just use 1/2" saggy butt spacers and space out the bump stop.

I wonder if aftermarket coilover top spring perches and mounts would work? Time to research.

• 2 months later...