LegacyGT.com

2005 LGT Limited to 2006 Mazdaspeed 6

Just wanted to share this with the board. Moved from a heavily modified LGT to a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6.

I have to say, the Six has a much better fit and finish, and the acceleration and suspension do not leave me wishing I still had my Legacy.

I have to say...Bravo Mazda.

But, my Legacy did provide me with tons of fun, not to mention lots of stuff to post on this board.

I only have 300 miles on her, but I am looking forward to comparing her to the new spec B when it comes out.

B4

244561868_CIMG1770(Large)(Large).thumb.JPG.5b06387778be3c689e33d250850b8e4c.JPG

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I guess the ambient temps stay pretty cool over there in Japan

Or perhaps its the higher octane Jap fuel that keeps detonation at bay.

Back in the states right now, and this will stay here while I am in Japan. Don't have a car in Tokyo..kinda pointless.

So far so good with boost pressure etc.. I have read lots of complaints about boost failing past 4200RPM. So fo far I am not having that issue.

It's been really hot here in VA, so I am sure it could do better with a bit cooler air.

But, as I said, so far so good.

B4

Hmmm... this posting is odd...

I seriously considered the MS6, but in every magazine head-to-head comparison, the MS6 was just thrashed by the stock Legacy GT in a straight line. The numbers weren't even close. If it was just one magazine, then I would have questioned it... however, it was every magazine comparo.

The one thing that I don't like about the LGT is the interior fit and finish and the seats aren't that good.

Just wanted to share this with the board. Moved from a heavily modified LGT to a 2006 Mazdaspeed 6.

I have to say, the Six has a much better fit and finish, and the acceleration and suspension do not leave me wishing I still had my Legacy.

I have to say...Bravo Mazda.

But, my Legacy did provide me with tons of fun, not to mention lots of stuff to post on this board.

I only have 300 miles on her, but I am looking forward to comparing her to the new spec B when it comes out.

B4

You're shitn' me ....

*heavily modified* LGT??? vs MSP 6...STOCK? Just add suspension ALONE and it will run circles around the MSP6. Give me break.:lol:

Okay, I watched the video. It said that the Legacy GT is faster from 0 to 60 and it said at the end that the LGT was faster in a straight line. The reasons it gave for the MS6 superiority were not due to its acceleration. So, I don't see how a heavily modded LGT could be slower than the MS6. This is consistent with the reviews that I have read or the video that you even posted.

The RSsportsCars.com said that it is the fastest Mazda Sedan ever. Okay, but is it faster than the LGT?

Here's the R&T comparison. Take a look at the autocross numbers. It wasn't even close. Legacy GT was number 1 at 54.9 seconds and Mazdaspeed 6 was number 6 out of 7 at 56.7 seconds.

R&T ROADandTRACK.com -- Comparison Tests - All-Wheel-Drive Sport Sedans (3/2006)

Okay, I watched the video. It said that the Legacy GT is faster from 0 to 60 and it said at the end that the LGT was faster in a straight line. The reasons it gave for the MS6 superiority were not due to its acceleration. So, I don't see how a heavily modded LGT could be slower than the MS6. This is consistent with the reviews that I have read or the video that you even posted.

The RSsportsCars.com said that it is the fastest Mazda Sedan ever. Okay, but is it faster than the LGT?

Here's the R&T comparison. Take a look at the autocross numbers. It wasn't even close. Legacy GT was number 1 at 54.9 seconds and Mazdaspeed 6 was number 6 out of 7 at 56.7 seconds.

R&T ROADandTRACK.com -- Comparison Tests - All-Wheel-Drive Sport Sedans (3/2006)

This was the final review from Edmonds, the video source. Notice that under *PERSONAL PREFERENCE* they picked the LGT overall (price independent). Two out of three.

Inside Line: 2006 Mazdaspeed 6 vs. 2006 Subaru Legacy GT spec.B - Final Rankings and Scoring Explanation

I have read and seen several side by side comparisons and depending on the publication both vehicles win (depending on driver's preference).

My neighbor just bought a Speed6 and I drove it... I'm not running out to trade mine in. After getting back into my car I really appreciated the LGT. Much more solid feel (doors and seating) and when you look at the dash you realize that you have the controls that you need for performance and a little luxury but no gadgets for the sense of having gadgets.

The Mazda is a softer car "period". Suspension, seats (softer and higher seat position), loose/wide gear throw and thinner feel. Even my neighbor agrees that the gear box is slushy (and as Edmunds says) you have to shift... frequently.

I have always said that Mazda was the PONTIAC of Japanese cars... dash board is way to bright, way to much HARD PLASTIC and every gadget you could possibly want (and most that you don't care about) are there... and the Mazda Speed 6 carries on this tradition. If that isn't enough you can get the leather seats in TWO TONE... Black with White inserts (I can only hope that this decision cost some designer their job).

The car is quick... I would say probably side by side with a LGT but I would have to question the fit and finish being BETTER then the Subaru and I will wait and see regarding the AWD system as this is not Mazdas specialty.

Finally, unless Mazda steps up to the plate or other tuners do you may be limited on mods. Mazda tried a couple of other Mazda Speed vehicles in the past (Miata and Protoge) and with the exception of the RX7, tuning options have been limited. Also, keep in mind with a limited run of Speed 6's (I believe 1,000) I don't think you will see many tuners going out of the way to produce products for the handful of owners who are intersted in upgrades.

Mazda has made a great entry into the sports sedan market however they came in knowing what Subaru had and now they will have to try to stay one step ahead. If you are looking for a fun sedan that is definitely in competition with the LGT and are happy with the current package with limited modification option the Speed 6 may be for you.

For the rest of us there is the Subaru Legacy GT!

congrats on the new purchase...but like the rest above me said...what were u smoking when u made that decision.

You should have just waited for the 07 spec B...or chgd the suspension of ur LGT.

Well i guess it must not snow in VA much or else u would have stayed with the LGT

Regardless....enjoy ur new ride....its good....really good...the LGT is just better :)

I was going to wait for the Mazdaspeed 6 before I got my '05 Legacy Gt Wagon. But I feared the lag in a 2.3 liter turbo and a 3,600 lb car. How's the bottom end response? I think it looks great but I didn't like the interior (seen at the auto show) compared to the Legacy. But that's a minor issue of taste. Does it feel heavy in the twisties? While the Legacy isn't as nimble as my '99 Ford Contour SVT, it's pretty tossable with the accelerator. The upcoming Mazdaspeed 3 actually sounds pretty interesting. Very close to my original new car bogie - 3,000 lbs and 250 hp (so near yet so far - "to improve performance, add lightness").

This Mazdpseed has so far pulled very hard up to 5K. Due to the heat, and the car being black with black cloth interior seats, I have been pushing the AC quite hard. But, acceleration was on par with my 05 LGT. A note must be made when compareing the two. Most comparos, do a side by side with a MS6 and a Spec B. The magazines usualy get the vehicals as close as possible. Mine is a sport trim with no power seats, leather etc.. Only option was NAV so there is a slight weight savings. MY LGT was a great car, but I did spend a lot of money putting the cars performance to where I thought it should be off the lot. With the MS6, I belive the package was perfect when I drove it home. That is a huge diffrence between the MS6 and the LGT.

http://legacygt.com/forums/suspension-brakes/4456-tired-spent-all-day.html?highlight=Tired+Spent+Day

i was also considering the mazdaspeed6. they limited the quantities and made 5000 in 2006. Everyone assumed that it would be a one year run like the other mazdaspeed cars. Mazda announced another run for 2007 are dropping. I'm surprised you said the fit and finish was better than the subaru. When I drove one the interior felt cheap, but not as cheap as the v6 version of the mazda6. i've read there is little or no turbo lag for the car, but the tranny is lacking. I had a hard time picking between the two and I actually was 100% positive i wanted the mazdaspeed, but the dealers around me weren't try to work with me on the price. they thought their product was a hot commodity even though there were vehicles in their lots collecting dust.

I walked into a suby dealer and they were awesome! That's what sealed the deal for me.

Let me get this strait then B4.......are you saying the modded LGT is no quicker than the STOCK MS6?

Or are you saying the LGT was underpowered for the chassis whereas the MS6 is tuned to the chassis better?

As far as the MS6 goes.....

I'd like to see it in a wagon also:)

I like the look, one thing though....Please get a aftermarket catback on the car. The stock setup is just plain shameful:(

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Let me get this strait then B4.......are you saying the modded LGT is no quicker than the STOCK MS6?

Or are you saying the LGT was underpowered for the chassis whereas the MS6 is tuned to the chassis better?

As far as the MS6 goes.....

I'd like to see it in a wagon also:)

I like the look, one thing though....Please get a aftermarket catback on the car. The stock setup is just plain shameful:(

I agree with you on the exhaust, but I can live with it. If I could change anything, it would be the hood, first, it needs to be made from aluminum. Second it would be the speedometer it is done in 10mph increments, third the control arms (aluminum please).

I don't think it's fair to compare the a standard USDM Legacy GT to the Mazdaspeed. Because it is not a comparison of equels. When I do make a compariosn it would be with the Spec. B trim.

No, the stock USDM LGT in its stock trim is not as capable of a vehical as the MS6.

From my personal experience with my LGT and after 4 to 5k in mods, I am much happier with the MS6.

The car is just assembled better, and has a driving feel that my stock and modified LGT never had.

But, once again, I am not going to compare the MS6 to a regular GT again. It's competor is the Spec B.

B4

So you are saying as a "overall" performer correct?

As far as acceleration runs go unless you have a true factory freak it's just not much of a race.

After riding in a friends MS6 I would say as a "STOCK" setup it's overall abilities seem a notch above the "stock" LGT.

Is the aftermarket as small for the MS6 as it is for the LGT?

Toyota 6EATS .........SUCK!!!!!!

Is the aftermarket as small for the MS6 as it is for the LGT?

I haven't explored it too much. I have found a few tecnical forums, mainly because I wanted to read more about the engine. There are a couple out there, kind of like how this forum started in the beguining. (Yes, I have been around that long) but the car doesn't not have that large of a market share, and what is there is for the regular Mazda 6.

Which is to be expected. This car is not selling like hot cakes, hence all the discounts I recived before taking it home.

The few parts that I have found have not been worth the price of purchase to me. The stock car is just fine.

B4

Archived