LegacyGT.com

Cerebral_1's OBXT Build Thread

Cerebral_1

It's going to take me awhile to complete the goals for my build...but figure I may as well start this thread now. Given that my wife and I just had our first kid recently, this is going to go slowly! Nonetheless, this will be a good place to document my (slow) progress. Also, before people flame me, I acknowledge that this will be a fairly "standard" build.

:bbq:

BACKGROUND: I bought an '05 Champagne Gold OBXT Limited 5MT in September 2013 with 75k on the odometer back in Michigan, where I was completing my PhD at the time (I'm currently working/living in Pittsburgh). The car spent most of its life in California and thus is pretty dang clean!

It was actually in the shop at the dealership getting buttoned up for a few weeks between the time I expressed interest and the time I took delivery--apparently, the college girl who was the previous owner barely drove the car and put lower octane gas in it, which burned up the valves. Subaru mechanics took the engine apart, replaced all the valves, did the 105k service (waterpump, timing belt, etc.) and removed the AVCS banjo bolt. I knew I was assuming some risk buying this OBXT, but so far, so good.

GOALS: Quick and reliable all-around performer as my daily driver. I hope to drive it for as long as possible...but when the time comes for me to move on to another daily driver, my goals will change focus to Rally Beast! More details on this later, but I'm envisioning a built bored-out motor, lift, skid plates, Gorilla Offroad light bar, etc.

I'll update here as things are installed! Below is my wishlist and specific goals (YET TO BE INSTALLED UNLESS OTHERWISE STATED):

ELECTRONICS/TUNING

Cobb Accessport

TURBO/INDUCTION/EXHAUST

Grimmspeed Uppipe (DONE)

Custom ABE by Moore Performance Parts (DONE)

COBB Catted Downpipe

STi TMIC

VF52 or BNR 16G?

DRIVETRAIN/ENGINE/FUEL

Kartboy short shifter and bushings

Killer B oil pickup tube

Stock STi Clutch & Flywheel

SUSPENSION/BRAKES

Whiteline Front (25mm) and Rear (22mm) Sway Bars

KYB 2nd Gen front and rear shocks

Kartboy Endlinks

AVO RSB Reinforcement Brackets

LGT front and rear brake swap

WHEELS/TIRES

Enkei Tuning Raijin 18x8 black painted rim on 235/45r18 tires

EXTERIOR/INTERIOR

Tint - 15% Rear (DONE)

Gorilla Offroad mudflaps (DONE)

Black Plastidip'd emblems and grill (DONE)

JDM mesh grille (PENDING)

STi shiftknob (PENDING)

Auxiliary Input

GrimmSpeed License Plate Relocation Kit

If anyone has any thoughts or suggestions to do something different, let me know!:munch:

The first thing I did--after getting the tint done by TintPros in Cleveland--was take the car over to Moore Performance in Pittsburgh to get it up on the lift and drop the downpipe. We checked the turbo housing and shaft and everything looked A-1!

Later, I had them design, fabricate, and install an ABE--ceramic coated SS with side-exit quad tips. Pics are included here.

More recently, I had Moore Performance install the Grimmspeed uppipe and remove the passenger (turbo) side banjo bolt. Again, these mods were focused on reliability/insurance.

Excellent work by these guys--very professional and awesome shop!

1670499909_DSC_0611-Cropped(1).jpg.2a61a083480b53f71163218cef0fa981.jpg

645170915_DSC_0613-Resized.jpg.68ecc6dd0df5326b3c8e152fd934debf.jpg

Archived