LegacyGT.com

1995 Legacy 2.2 Wagon HELP!!!

I have a 1995 Subaru Legacy LS Wagon 2.2, I started with a misfire on 3 code just one day when i started it and it ran poorly until it warmed up, I got home and changed the plugs and wires. Then had an issue where it was hard to start. I replaced the coil pack when I realized the spark was not as strong as before. From there it was fine the next morning, I drove it to work and then it wouldnt start after. I instantly thought cam and crank senors to no avail. The whole time though it seems like it wants to fire up with an occasional backfire but never takes off, I keep jumpers on it when trying to start it, so its not the battery, Other things i have tried, Mass air sensor, idle air control, Throttle positioning , fuel pressure regulator, knock sensor, air filter, ECU, ignition control module (ignitor), alternator less than a year, battery, and the timing belt is a year old, the cam marks line up on both sides and the tension is good. Please give me something here all vacuum lines appear good and connected, I have read many threads online and haven't got a solid lead.

it seems like it wants to fire up with an occasional backfire but never takes off,
back fires are usually associated with timing issues.

what brand of plugs and wires did you use?

how does it run once it starts?

try measuring your fuel pressure.

Run a compression test and hydrocarbon test too. I had the same problem that I chased down to the head gaskets. It ran kind of crappy when the engine was cold but then as it warmed up in few miles of drive it cleared right up.

Just head to the local auto parts store and rent the tools you need to measure everything for just a fully refundable deposit.

back fires are usually associated with timing issues.

what brand of plugs and wires did you use?

how does it run once it starts?

try measuring your fuel pressure.

I have taken the covers off to verify I haven't jumped time thats what baffling me. I used bosch plugs and wires. It only starts for literally 2 seconds and thats with excessive cranking. When it is cranking or well almost starting it sounds good. I have a fuel pressure tester ordered that should be here middle of next week, a compression tester and noid light. With those I should be able to rule out more. It almost seems as if it is getting to much fuel, I already replaced the pressure regulator. Im wondering if the return line to the tank may be clogged? Maybe the wires to the injectors are bad and not sending a pulse letting them drowned out the cylinders?

when it fires , it runs for 2 seconds and dies?

look for the large vac hose, big as your thumb,

that runs from the IAC, passenger side intake, rear,

to the very bottom of the black plastic air plenum, from filter to throttle body.

it connects on the very bottom and is hard to see.

if disconnected, this will cause the engine to start and die.

maybe make it hard to start.

good luck?

Archived