LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

• Mega Users
Nope. 3rd. That's the odd tcc behavior. Id have to give it a significant amount of gas to get up the hill and that would disengage the tcc. It wouldn't lock up at all while going up mountain passes unless I started going up above 50mph. If I started out slower, it would hang up at the stall speed and sit there heating up the fluid.

Engine temp never went higher than normal. I stopped often enough for fuel that I could feel out the car in acceleration and deceleration, gear change harshness, etc.. fluid looked exactly the same after the trip as before the trip. (overheating would have caused the fluid to "burn" and discolor) I drove I-80 across.

Towing has a LOT to do with the driver.. I knew i'd be okay towing, guess I just freaked out since i'd never towed with a CAR before. It's still almost a brand new car, I mean 20k miles on a 2009 3.0R.

yeah...thought i made that point before (when i asked questions before towing). the car did better towing that than my f150 5.0 with a 7000lb boat trailer. got better gas mileage doing it, too. lol

Unless you're an asshole. Then it's close to 4K rpm.

The repair manual says at sea level, stall speed for turbo is 3100-3500, non-turbo is 2400-2800.

The outlined procedure to test the stall speed is:

-bring the car up to normal operating temp

-mash your foot on the brake pedal firmly

-put the car in 2nd gear

-press the gas pedal gradually and take notice when the rpms stabilize, stop accelerating

-don't do it for more than 5 seconds counting from when you touch the gas pedal until you've gone WOT

The manual says if you do it for too long you can damage the ATF and the clutch. It doesn't say which clutch. David?

Edited by fishbone

Specifically, 2009 non-turbo stalls 1900-2300 rpm, where turbo stalls 2300-3200. That is a massive difference.

Only because the turbo motor makes more torque at the lower rpm!

It's probably the same torque converter

Now that's thinking out of the boxer!:lol:

fyi all 05 + legacy's have built in code reader

Stall test should not harm any clutch. It's bad for the torque converter.

On my sunbird I bent all the vanes inside. It was about 5000 rpm stall at the end and worked great !

Lol I have done way worse than you ! I built boost until the ecu got power down signal from the tcu.

Brake boosting or even trans brake are commonly used .

And I haven't really herd of any specific issues to the 5 eat converter.

If there was I'd surly be having them !

Nope it's why the gt is faster than the h6. The gt actually has more low end and mid range torque . The gt has lag but once the turbo catches up it has more power everywhere

One for the top brass:

What is the task of the lone exposed diode on the VB unit (capacitor, fuse, switching, volt. reg, etc.), and what symptom(s) would one expect to encounter if fully/partially burned?

TIA, gents.

can anybody field this one (mr. dave/frank :)?)? can snap a pic if description unclear...

thanks frank -- bah, i didn't even think of temp sens. you're probably right -- i was hoping like hell for a fuse/capacitor. pics attached; i was referring to the red guy in the center.

here's the thing: i had a fluke short of two wires (YR, Blk) of the giant harness (B21?) care of the turbo oil feed. when the two ultimately wore through enough to short, it was taking F/B#12 out instantly @ 'on' key turn iirc -- being a 20* evening, it activated my AAA card, lol.

so as i see it, the #12 fuse did its job with the direct short, but it appeared that the YR wire had been exposed far longer than the black, and as i understand the pinouts this wire is a very heavy fellow with regards to the 5eat and may have seen some intermittent (-) contact, again via the oil feed which i imagine must carry some ground.

i may be jumping to conclusions, but my mind can't help but to tie my long-standing P0700/740 (tcc sol) to this unfortunate sneaky situation; i just think that if it were something more mechanical like worn clutches (as some others have reported with this code), i'd have certainly seen a failure by now. i have no slipping whatsoever, and i get the sport flash on proper cue (in M2+ on slight incline @ 1/8 throttle or so [mostly M3+]) to suggest procedural vb replacement.

0427141302.thumb.jpg.8010a4bf8fe8b3d2777c7c454cf8a756.jpg

0427141302a.thumb.jpg.b39771377b10c7756df9a8ca755a36e4.jpg

Edited by underpowerd

The 1-2 lazy shift, as far as I can tell, is there on purpose to smooth out the operation of the 5EAT and ensure a comfy ride. As a result, it may sometimes lead an overly cautious and OCD performance oriented enthusiast owner to question whether or not the clutches are slipping.

That is the ONE thing that my IPT valve body did not do a whole lot about. It is a learned behavior by the TCU. I know this because upon TCU reset, it shifts kick-ass. It also shifts kick-ass after a short stint of driving like a jackass. Then the trans firms up.

Basically I need to stop driving like an old person 90% of the time.