LegacyGT.com

Stock turbo died at 176K

Hello all,

I'll keep it short. After 80k miles on a stage 2 protune (176k total miles on vehicle), the stock turbine on my 2007 LGT auto has failed.

I've been off the forums forever but I need some advice for replacement. The dealership quoted me 3k for new turbo and oil pump. I said thanks, but no thanks.

Since I just replaced the septic system in my home, paying 3k for replacement turbo install.

I'm basically looking for a used or rebuilt VF46 turbo to purchase and I will purchase an OEM Subaru oil pump and have my local shop install.

I don't want to sink a ton of cash into an old car and I really like my current pro tune so I want to keep the stock turbo.

What is the most trustworthy place to source a decent VF46 turbo and should I replace any gaskets on my Cobb DP while I'm at it?

Also, what's a reasonable ballpark cost to expect to pay for used turbo and installation?

Thank you.

Where on he east coast are you located ? Assuming your in the USA.

How bad is the old turbo ? how much shaft play ? did it put metal into the oil system ?

The oil cooler will hold onto metal particles and release them over time.

Your close to the point where you should replace the timing belt while your in there for the oil pump.

You should get the new $15.00 gasket for the turbo to DP as well as the gasket for the turbo to up pipe and new oil return hose.

Some of the Vendors on here should be able to get you all you need.

Try, www.tuningalliance.com in CT email them or www.AZPinstalls.com in NJ

TA can rebuild your turbo too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thank you so much. I'm located in central VA (Lynchburg area). The closest reputable tuner to me is about 3 hours away. I got my tune (which has been amazing) from Brentuning in MA.

Timing belt was done at 103k but you're right maybe should look into doing it again.

I will find out about metal in the system. Thank you again.

My local shop will install the replacement turbo for me. Now I just need to source it. Anything I should be careful of when I'm breaking in the turbo. Will replacing the oil pump and getting an oil change take care of any shavings?

Start by draining the oil and checking for glitter. If it's there, consider replacing the shortblock and rebuilding the heads. If you're OK, to be safe you should replace the oil cooler and clean the OCVs. Also check/remove any banjo filters. I lose track of where they are on the '07.

Before you go dropping the pan and opening the oil system, how exactly did your turbo fail? My turbo had a weeping oil seal after 168K original miles, I replaced it with a VF46 and there have been no issues. If it had failed via the turbine shaft snapping I would have went through the other hoops. When i pulled the turbo i also pulled the banjo screens they were clean and my turbine still spun freely it just had excessive shaft play, this is prob the best case scenario for any turbo failure on a Subaru.

Drain the oil first if there are flakes or small chunks (run a magnet thru the oil)that is when you would want to make a call to invest or divest. Could be a sign of a larger issue like a failed bearing that clogged up something. Turbo EJs aren't the stoutest engines :(

05-09's have banjo filters, the 07-09's have them up top on the OCV's. They are positioned vertically not horizontally like in the 05-06. My theory is, when you shut the engine off in a 07-09 as the oil pressure drops it tends to pull any lose particles out of the banjo filter. Then when the engine is started next that oil gets filtered by the oil filter...that's why 07-09's seem to many fewer issues.

Make sure you replace the oil return hose from the turbo when replacing the turbo.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Make sure you replace the oil return hose from the turbo when replacing the turbo.

Great point that's not brought up too often. The hose degrades quickly in that environment and well, it's sh*tty to discover a leak after going through all the trouble of getting the turbo on. I replace the lower clasp with a band clamp as I can position it juuuust right to be able to reach with a real long extension from underneath :)

I think turbo failure mode will dictate your next steps.

If it's excessive shaft play, get your mechanic to swap in a new/rebuilt unit, and do a few maintenance items when you're in there.

If the shaft snapped and wrecked the bearings in the turbocharger, it is possible that metal from the turbo made its way into your oiling system and you will have to decide how you want to handle that situation.

I pulled my vf46 off at 95k km (50k miles ish?) when I upgraded. Was planning on keeping it as a spare but could be convinced otherwise. Not sure on shipping but I can ship from the US as I’m 30 min from Washington state.

I'd be super interested in this. I'll PM you. Thanks.

Before you go dropping the pan and opening the oil system, how exactly did your turbo fail? My turbo had a weeping oil seal after 168K original miles, I replaced it with a VF46 and there have been no issues. If it had failed via the turbine shaft snapping I would have went through the other hoops. When i pulled the turbo i also pulled the banjo screens they were clean and my turbine still spun freely it just had excessive shaft play, this is prob the best case scenario for any turbo failure on a Subaru.

Drain the oil first if there are flakes or small chunks (run a magnet thru the oil)that is when you would want to make a call to invest or divest. Could be a sign of a larger issue like a failed bearing that clogged up something. Turbo EJs aren't the stoutest engines :(

Excessive shaft play. Not catastrophic. Car is parked now but runs and ides fine, just makes noise when going into boost. Hence the letting it sit bit.

05-09's have banjo filters, the 07-09's have them up top on the OCV's. They are positioned vertically not horizontally like in the 05-06. My theory is, when you shut the engine off in a 07-09 as the oil pressure drops it tends to pull any lose particles out of the banjo filter. Then when the engine is started next that oil gets filtered by the oil filter...that's why 07-09's seem to many fewer issues.

Thanks. I will replace the hose. Looking to source all gaskets and hoses from one vendor.

Great point that's not brought up too often. The hose degrades quickly in that environment and well, it's sh*tty to discover a leak after going through all the trouble of getting the turbo on. I replace the lower clasp with a band clamp as I can position it juuuust right to be able to reach with a real long extension from underneath :)

Makes sense. Thanks.

I think turbo failure mode will dictate your next steps.

If it's excessive shaft play, get your mechanic to swap in a new/rebuilt unit, and do a few maintenance items when you're in there.

If the shaft snapped and wrecked the bearings in the turbocharger, it is possible that metal from the turbo made its way into your oiling system and you will have to decide how you want to handle that situation.

No wreckage that I could tell. I assume that would have been noticeable. Just shaft play, noisy turbo. No loud bangs or anything like that. It is a slow ang gentle (kinda screamy) death.

Several times I had everything lined up and the turbo inlet seated only to find that the drain hose wasn't connected. I stopped went to Auto Zone and bought a foot of braided hose in the same dia. extended it by about 3 inches got it installed on the first attempt.

You guys rock. Oil pump and hose ordered. Just hoping to hear back from fellow forum member about his used VF46. I hope I hear from him soon. Want to get my ride back up and running.

I'm pretty sure there won't be metal in the oil but won't know till I drain it.

Thanks again for all the advice. Got the parts ordered and the turbo on it's way from an awesome forum member. I'm hoping my GT can get a 2nd lease on life. She's an old bird with 176K, but she still looks good and has a lot of corners left to carve. I'm not ready to say goodbye.24174174_10154889194131010_5761444637571831411_n.jpg?_nc_cat=0&oh=2660bac77f154149f08b9e47cd6372a3&oe=5B6C7315

• 2 weeks later...

So thanks to you all for all your help. Just wanted to give an update. Got the car back on the road today. New (to me) replacement VF46 turbo. New oil pump, went ahead and did the timing belt and water pump too since I'm at 177K. Car runs great. Taking it easy but turbo seems to spool well. There were no metal shavings in the oil.

My only issue now is a rough idle that wasn't present before the swap. I'm going to try and reflash my stage 2 tune and see if that helps. No CELS, just idles lumpy. Any ideas? I'm almost there. Once I get the idle sorted, I'll be good to go.

Thanks.

Archived