LegacyGT.com

Ok, this thread is information to help those who are replacing their TPMS sensors with new ones and need to program the vehicle and activate the sensors.

Tools needed are the ATEQ QuickSet tool. This has been discussed in many other threads and does work on a 07+ Legacy. It can be used to extract the current sensor ID’s of working stock sensors and then also update the TPMS to recognize new sensors. The tool goes for $150 from RevolutionSupply (tpmsoutlet.com). If you plan on having a winter set and summer set this is perfect for you since it will store two sets of codes and you just pick winter or summer, upload it and drive.

Now for those who are buying 4 brand new sensors; you will need to have these activated. When purchased brand new they are in a “deep sleep” to describe it, and driving alone will not wake them. Yes these sensors sleep when you stop driving but they do not completely power down they wake back up when you start driving.

You have two choices in this department or maybe three… You can request where your buying your sensors from to have them “activated” or “triggered” before shipping but I do not know if many places offer that service, Or you can bring it to a local respectable tire shop where they are willing to and understand what you’re asking when you say you need new sensors activated and that they are already programmed to the ECM via the tool above… (I was not so lucky with this and every shop was so undereducated with TPMS it just wasn’t even funny, Including the repair guy at Long Subaru in Webster MA…) And lastly you can just buy the activation tool yourself as well the ATEQ VT5. I got mine from Tirerack.com but I’m not sure how long they will carry it, RevolutionSupply (tpmsoutlet.com) also has it but it’s a bit more expensive from them… Tire Rack used to have the ATEQ Quickset too, but had to pull it due to people not being able to figure it out, so they were losing too much money in possibly returns, or offering to have the users TPMS setup at a shop for free. The activation tool is quite simple, it’s just a radio frequency transmitter that uses a 9v battery and it sends the wake up signal to the sensors… Took me all of 5 min to do yet when I asked the tire shop and Subaru they said it would take 30-45 min to calibrate/scan/program and trigger the sensors.

New sensors come with a few numbers on them. On mine there were two numbers that were identical on all the sensors, including the part number… Then there was a ASIC number and a LONG barcode. The ASIC number is 8 digits long and in decimal form. The barcode was 14 digits long and in decimal form too.

When you get the ATEQ Quickset you will see that the tool asks for either a decimal or Hex number for the ID’s Now if you’re on the latest revision of the software you can just enter in the 8 Digit decimal number (8 is as long as it would take so that automatically eliminated the barcode from being the ID). Now when you pull the current sensor ID’s from the car, you’ll see that they are in Hex, That’s just something to note. With the current revision of the software if you enter them in as Decimal and program the car, and then set the tool up to read the car again you will see the TPMS module in the car converted them to the HEX form for you, so really it doesn’t matter how you enter them as long as it recognizes that you entered hex instead of decimal.

Now all of this being said… What I did was purchased 4 new AirAware sensors from TireRack with 4 new DWS tires and the Quickset Tool. I installed the tire sensors and tires and programmed the vehicle for the new sensors. Unfortunately after 15 min of driving my TPMS light was back on… SO after searching all over the web I found out that new sensors need to be activated, and of course it took me hours to find out that Subaru ones are not like some GM ones and they need a radio frequency wake up and won’t work with just a large magnet as some have described online.

I also spoke with Jonas from TireRack and he told me that he owns a Subaru and has the quickset tool and it works perfectly fine, BUT if and when you purchase new sensors you need to wake up the sensors and they carry a tool to do that, the ATEQ VT5. Jonas also noted that he has both the quickset and the VT5. So the following day after I attempted to have a tire shop complete this process; I just bought the damn tool.

So if anyone in the Tri-state or New England area needs to replace their sensors, Wants current ID’s pulled or has a new set of sensors that need to be activated just let me know and I can do it for you.

The only thing I cannot do is get the Sensor ID’s from sensors that are already installed if you did not write them down and they are not programmed to the ECM, I don’t have the scanner that will check each sensor… that was a bit too expensive not knowing if I’ll ever need a tool with that power.

ATEQ Quickset Tool

attachment.php?attachmentid=287624&stc=1&d=1603219749

ATEQ VT5 tool

attachment.php?attachmentid=287625&stc=1&d=1603219749

AirAware sensors.

attachment.php?attachmentid=287626&stc=1&d=1603219749

VT5 And Quickset Application Chart's attached, CLICK ME << LINK to Quickset Manual.

ATEQ-VT5-Applications.pdf

2009-ATEQ-TPM-QuickSet-Application-Chart.pdf

635d3f22.thumb.jpg.380ad1d2fb2c62503f3f709e4bd7e1df.jpg

229c3be6.thumb.jpg.f61cf9c00944833124433c8b76d923f9.jpg

5e46c864.thumb.jpg.7921786098914adf7a4a20664c1e57cc.jpg

• 7 months later...

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/valve-stems-tpm-170653.html

Hope it's ok, I have a little info there too that may help some.

The TPM like what my 09 Spec has is only $37.00 from Alltiresupply

They are different then what is pictured above. Mine are about 1" wide and 2.5" long.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

This is awesome that this was found!!! Sticky for sure!

I didn't think it was even a remote option so I've been running two TPMS computers. I have one computer for the summer tires and one for the winter tires. The computer swap takes about 15 minutes and the cost for the module was ~$70. Programming was free since I bought it from the dealer and had them do it during an oil change.

This option is a bit more expensive now than it was when I bought it, but you can still get just the programming unit alone if your sensors are already active... Mine were brand new so thats why I needed the extra unit.

No updates on disabling it either... From what I have read the dash needs a special signal to disable that light, but then again, just de-solder the damn LED that lights it up. It's not linked to the service engine light and doesn't affect anything else to my knowledge, but it is a nice feature to have sometimes.... When its working really.

• 6 years later...

I have an 08 legacy. The ATEQ Quickset tool doesn't seem to be writing the new TPMS codes to the ECU. The new wheels came from a 15 BRZ. When I activated the BRZ new codes I had to tell the QUICKEST the BRZ was an FRS. For those who have successfully written new TPMS codes to your legacy.... Did you have to use another make/model when programming the Quickset tool?

Thanks!

I've used the ateq quickset for the past 7-8 years with no issues on my legacy, I always select my legacy when using the quickset software.

I don't fully understand what you said though. Do you have the ID's for each of the brz tpms sensors?

*I think I understand now. When you pulled the ID's from the brz ecu, you had to select the frs instead? As long as you pulled the ID's, you should be good. Just write those down, and now make a new vehicle in the quickset software, and type those ID's in.

That's exactly what I did. Wrote the BRZ codes down. I also retrieved the Legacy codes and put them on a new "tab" which I selected an 08 legacy. Saved the BRZ codes as the summer set and the Legacy as the winter set. I also forgot to mention that when I plug the Quickest there's a message on the LCD that displays the odometer.... Has this happened to you?

Yeah, it's normal for the odometer to come on since the key should be turned to the accessory 2 position when you press the summer or winter button on the quickset.

The tpms light might not go off immediately, it might take some driving around before it turns off.

• 6 months later...

When programming the ateq quickset tool do I need to assign the correct sensor ID to its respective corner of the car?

I'd imagine that it does matter, but then again the tpms system doesn't tell me which tire has low pressure so it kinda seems like it doesn't matter.

I just got new wheels/tires/sensors through tirerack - they installed my sensors and mounted my tires but they didn't tell me which wheel corresponds to which sensor ID.

I have a 2013 legacy 3.6r

I've always just randomly typed the numbers in, I don't think it makes a difference.

If I ever did have a tpms problem, I figure a tire shop would be able to just take their handheld tool to each sensor and figure out which one is the problem, since I never assign the correct id to the correct position.

Archived