LegacyGT.com

Official 5th Generation Suspension Thread

On Koni website they recommend 1447 front and 1055 rear.

link

Your recommendation is stock springs with 1453 front and 1055 rear?

Along the way they verified that 1447s were appropriate for 10-14 Legacy as well as 05-09 Legacy. I disagree with them and believe that the 1453 is more appropriate with stock 5th Gen Legacy springs, but their listing doesn't differentiate between the use of stock springs versus lowering springs.

On Koni website they recommend 1447 front and 1055 rear.

link

Your recommendation is stock springs with 1453 front and 1055 rear?

Yes. But the only disadvantage of my recommendation is that Koni won't warranty the 1453 on the 5th Gen because they spec 1447.

Yes. But the only disadvantage of my recommendation is that Koni won't warranty the 1453 on the 5th Gen because they spec 1447.

dang, i wonder how different the valving is between the 2. the comparison you did between the full extension/full compression of the 1453s, 1447 and stockers made it pretty simple to see the 1453s are the way to go if you're going to stay up near stock height which i need to because VT

In your build I see you used H&R Sport springs. You like them?

Yes. Very much. They are our stiffest option.

dang, i wonder how different the valving is between the 2. the comparison you did between the full extension/full compression of the 1453s, 1447 and stockers made it pretty simple to see the 1453s are the way to go if you're going to stay up near stock height which i need to because VT
The 1447s have a hair more damping over the 1453s according to Koni, because the Legacy weighs a few more pounds than the WRX. But frankly, it would be virtually imperceptible for any of us, plus, you can just turn the knob.

That's what I worry about, as with my luck I'd have one go out and be stuck buying a new one...

Anyway - pulled the trigger on the 8610-1447Sport/8010-1055Sport combo. Will be running them with a fresh set of '14 OEM springs. I'll probably give the install a go over the holidays...

• 2 months later...
Koni made the full assemblies with the intent of replacing the 1453 insert for 08-14 WRX. When they found that 08-10 had a different perch height than 11-14, and the full assembly would not work for all WRXs, they brought the 1453 back into production to recapture the 11-14 market. Along the way they verified that 1447s were appropriate for 10-14 Legacy as well as 05-09 Legacy. I disagree with them and believe that the 1453 is more appropriate with stock 5th Gen Legacy springs, but their listing doesn't differentiate between the use of stock springs versus lowering springs.

I don't think I've posted this, elsewhere, but I used 1453's back in 2014 right when I found out they'd fit my Outback (it's now at Legacy height). With a stiffer front spring, they never provided enough dampening at any setting up to max. The 1055's in the back had no problem with the same 300lb/in rate and I run them well below maximum. The 1453's started to leak and lose damping a while back and since Koni doesn't certify 1453's for the Outback, my warranty was denied (they now require a valid copy of registration in addition to the receipt). I bought a pair of 1447's and swapped them in and their damping is significantly higher and better matched with the 1055's for my rates. I'm sure it's on this site or in the thread elsewhere, but Koni's published data is:

8610 1453sport

Tested at .33m/sec (13in/sec)

Compression – 900Nm, Rebound 1150Nm

Tested at .13m/sec (5in/sec)

Compression – 650m, Rebound 850Nm

8610 1447Sport

Tested at .33m/sec

Compression – 1100Nm, Rebound 1700Nm

Tested at .13m/sec

Compression – 850m, Rebound 900Nm

If you're a suspension tuner you know those numbers border on useless for knowing how the shocks will perform, but they're definitely stiffer at high speed and in my opinion they're clearly stiffer at low speed, as well. I have no idea if they might be more digressive and assume their curves are roughly the same shape. In summary, having an extra fraction of an inch of extension is a very good thing and supports GTeaser's thesis to prefer the 1453s. However, the damping is very significantly "sportier" on the 1447s if that is something you are interested in and for people lowering with higher rates I strongly recommend them. Since they're OE-fit Konis they are definitely still very smooth and not harsh.

I saw some info on KW variant 1's and they look interesting.

They are height-adjustable only and by all accounts seem to be dialled in perfectly for a sporty street setup.

I am thinking of these because part of my requirement is I cant go too low because roads are horrible here and I want to be able to dial in the height just right, not too low but also not too high. It would be neat to get front and rear height equal instead of the usual Subaru saggy butt.

They have an 08-up WRX fitment. As I understand reading this thread these (and all other 08-up WRX fitment struts/shocks/coilovers) will work on 5th gens using 5th gen top hats?

Couple questions:

Has anyone been able to adjust the front end lift during launch out of the koni inserts and eibach springs?

I am noticing more floatiness than I was used to before, I am not sure what has changed but I am going to try firming up the dampers. I was considering removing the strut lifts in the front thinking maybe too much air is getting under the car. Should I instead try some kind of lip or is there a functional splitter that could do move air around the car?

I will be checking tires and suspension out this weekend when i change my oil, but just want to get some opinions. The floatiness seems to come on strong around 70 mph. It's not as bad as stock, but definitely not like when I first installed the suspension.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Have you tried a quarter turn more stiff on the front struts?

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

I will try it, and it has been relatively colder than usual. I am guessing the weather affects the dampening.

I will try it, and it has been relatively colder than usual. I am guessing the weather affects the dampening.

I've noticed that ambient temperature does affect them, but opposite from what you'd expect with a system that essentially uses hydraulic type fluid, colder fluid being thicker, warm fluid being thinner with less viscosity. The hotter it is out the stiffer they seem, and when its cooler outside they seem softer.

8610 1453sport

Tested at .33m/sec (13in/sec)

Compression – 900Nm, Rebound 1150Nm

Tested at .13m/sec (5in/sec)

Compression – 650m, Rebound 850Nm

8610 1447Sport

Tested at .33m/sec

Compression – 1100Nm, Rebound 1700Nm

Tested at .13m/sec

Compression – 850m, Rebound 900Nm

Nice to see some data that hopefully helps people see that the resistance the struts provide is strain rate dependent (always sad to see folks slowly pushing down a strut and saying "see, it's defective - look how easy it pushes down")

Looking at the data, I wonder where the OEM struts fall - the 2010-2012 and 2013-2014...

• 3 weeks later...
Don't be a dummy like I was replacing the arms recently. I replaced the entire arm with new ball joint from Subaru. If going that route, pop the axles out heat the knuckle and the ball joint comes out easy enough. Don't bang on the arm like I was trying to get it out. If you have no rust in your area maybe, otherwise go with a map torch and heat it up. Breaker bar / impact + penetrant for the bushing bolts.

Never followed up here.. ended up with Super Pros and Whitelines up front along with fresh set of Moog endlinks while I was at it. And bought some slightly used LCAs from a member here. Scrubbed, cleaned, and painted them fresh, then proceeded to take all of the parts to the shop for them to deal with the rusted bolts and bushing pressing. :lol: Labor$$$ well spent.

Now that I've inherited the car full time, I'm getting some good opportunities to actually push it around turns to/fro work. Loving the Konis with H&R. I might actually dial them up another 1/4 or 1/2 turn (after I install the thicker RSB) to get a stiffer feel. Any one have links or insight into braking upgrades? Having a hard time finding fitment info for 4/2 pots or other kits and i know a set of 06-07 WRX 4/2 pots are up for sale. I realize it's probably over kill, but I mostly like the look of the piston calipers over sliders (not buying covers). If y'all suggest to really forget about it, I'll just paint the oem ones and call it a tie.

Edit: found this thread and post: https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5152806&postcount=29

question remains, as I'm not a cool GT dood :) but at least has given me additional info.

Edited by Loya1ty

Never followed up here.. ended up with Super Pros and Whitelines up front along with fresh set of Moog endlinks while I was at it. And bought some slightly used LCAs from a member here. Scrubbed, cleaned, and painted them fresh, then proceeded to take all of the parts to the shop for them to deal with the rusted bolts and bushing pressing. :lol: Labor$$$ well spent.

Now that I've inherited the car full time, I'm getting some good opportunities to actually push it around turns to/fro work. Loving the Konis with H&R. I might actually dial them up another 1/4 or 1/2 turn (after I install the thicker RSB) to get a stiffer feel. Any one have links or insight into braking upgrades? Having a hard time finding fitment info for 4/2 pots or other kits and i know a set of 06-07 WRX 4/2 pots are up for sale. I realize it's probably over kill, but I mostly like the look of the piston calipers over sliders (not buying covers). If y'all suggest to really forget about it, I'll just paint the oem ones and call it a tie.

Edit: found this thread and post: https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5152806&postcount=29

question remains, as I'm not a cool GT dood :) but at least has given me additional info.

If you want better brakes for your 2.5i, you could swap to the larger 2.5GT/3.6R front and rear brakes. The will be functionally better but they won't look cool...

If you want better brakes for your 2.5i, you could swap to the larger 2.5GT/3.6R front and rear brakes. The will be functionally better but they won't look cool...

I'll look into that option as well, then. I was reading that it didn't really make sense to do the pot upgrade for the GTs for the reason you stated (marginally better, if at all than the OEMs). But if I'm going for the looks, and the pots will still get me closer to the GT performance, I might just do that route instead.

I resonated strongly with a 'lessons learned' post in the thread I linked though... lol buy calipers, then endlessly looking for how to rebuild them, parts list, etc. since I'm sure due to the price regardless of the seller that they aren't ready to mount immediately.

You could also look into the Cadillac brembo upgrade, its cheaper than the STI brembos and you could add whatever graphics you want to the calipers. Couple with the 2 pot rear brake it would probably look pretty good and work better than the Gt or 4 pot brakes.

You may need spacers or different wheels to clear the calipers though.

You could also look into the Cadillac brembo upgrade, its cheaper than the STI brembos and you could add whatever graphics you want to the calipers. Couple with the 2 pot rear brake it would probably look pretty good and work better than the Gt or 4 pot brakes.

You may need spacers or different wheels to clear the calipers though.

I just read about 60 pages on info from Nasioc and lgt :lol: so much for getting work done today. Definitely has my interest. Would certainly go that route over used 4/2 pots that are a crap shoot for reliability. Pains me to spend most of the money on tiny brackets though. I might just do some searches for 3D printers I can use.

If just wanted to forego the money savings, I might just snag this kit: https://www.fastwrx.com/collections/brake-kits/products/subaru-four-pot-two-pot-full-brake-upgrade-2011-legacy-2-5i

We'll see.. still have some life left on the pads so I have time to formulate a plan.

• 1 month later...
Finally got the 26mm OEM swaybar installed in my '12 - very noticeable difference in body roll up front - I love it! I wish the engine didn't need to be lifted up for it to get installed though! It had been sitting in my garage since '13-14 when I bought it and couldn't install it myself (I tried, but when it became apparent I had to lift the engine, I didn't see any locations I was comfortable doing that from, so I abandoned)

I'm kinda hoping my oem clutchfork will fail so I have a better reason to swap in the 26mm FSB

Sent from my ONEPLUS A5000 using Tapatalk

Go spray some brake cleaner down the opening for clutchfork until all the grease is gone, :lol: