LegacyGT.com

What did you do to your 4th gen. Legacy today? Vol - 10

So my exhaust rusted out over the weekend and I need to have it fixed. I'm thinking now is a good time to do downpipe and exhaust. Priorities from most important to least: noise (needs to be relatively quiet), emissions (want to keep all cats, if possible), performance, price (but nothing crazy).

What kind of options do I have? Years ago, I brought a catted downpipe that I never installed, so I'd like to use that. I was thinking about a Borla catback system -- does that mate directly with the downpipe? What happens to the cat after the DP? Does it just get chucked?

Are there any quiet turboback systems on the market now?

You'll need a tune or Cobb AP for the down pipe. The mid pipe has a resonator, both cats are in the DP.

The Q300 is the lowest volume exhaust but it is still louder then stock.

A exhaust shop can make you a quiet exhaust.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

You'll need a tune or Cobb AP for the down pipe. The mid pipe has a resonator, both cats are in the DP.

The Q300 is the lowest volume exhaust but it is still louder then stock.

A exhaust shop can make you a quiet exhaust.

Q300 is quieter than the Borla?

So my exhaust rusted out over the weekend and I need to have it fixed. I'm thinking now is a good time to do downpipe and exhaust. Priorities from most important to least: noise (needs to be relatively quiet), emissions (want to keep all cats, if possible), performance, price (but nothing crazy).

What kind of options do I have? Years ago, I brought a catted downpipe that I never installed, so I'd like to use that. I was thinking about a Borla catback system -- does that mate directly with the downpipe? What happens to the cat after the DP? Does it just get chucked?

Are there any quiet turboback systems on the market now?

Mine rusted at both muffler flanges last year, just before I started my 6MT swap project.

New OEM midpipe from the dealer (mid-200s), new donut gasket, then I took it to exhaust shop to have them cut the rusted flanges off the muffler cans and new midpipe and just put straight pipes instead of flanges.

Shop charged me about $180 or so.So for about $400 I have new(-ish) OEM catback which with CNT DP produces nice growl at idle and no drone at speed.

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

Got a new battery for my wagon last night and took it for a drive early this AM. Gave the brakes a good push once it was warmed up and they suddenly got real soft. Looked underneath once I got to a stop and there was brake fluid dumping out near the rear wheel when I touched the pedal.

Shouldn't this be covered by the dealership? I had the one brake line recall checkup. Was there a second follow up recall?

Got a new battery for my wagon last night and took it for a drive early this AM. Gave the brakes a good push once it was warmed up and they suddenly got real soft. Looked underneath once I got to a stop and there was brake fluid dumping out near the rear wheel when I touched the pedal.

Shouldn't this be covered by the dealership? I had the one brake line recall checkup. Was there a second follow up recall?

Here's the thread you're looking for, though it's probably not what you want to read:

Rusted Rear Brake Lines - Subaru won't honor their recall?

Just the one as far as I'm aware. They may cover the failure anyway if you make a stink.

The original recall wasn't really a fix, more of a bandaid and ass covering move by Subaru.

Might want to peruse this thread:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/dealership-denied-rusted-brake-line-repair-recall-smoking-guni-269642.html

Edit: Snake beat me to it.

It is the single walled, dual tips that look awful IMO.

My dual walled Stromung tips filled the cut-outs and looked fantastic.

I have only seen the single-walled variety. I cannot speak to the double-walled.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Apparently there were two recalls for the brake lines. The dealership that did my airbag and the first brake line recall two years ago said to bring it in and they would look at it. I have a couple friends at the dealership and I think if I fuss enough they'll cover it. Know more tomorrow when I drop it off.

Definitely give that thread a read through. Thanks fellas.

I'm not a huge fan of the grapefruit shooter look.

The dual walled Stromung is much more subtle/ refined and less boy racer. IMO

I like the JDM element of the grapefruit shooters, it took me a while to warm up to them. That said, I'm pretty sure these Stromung are never leaving...

Apparently there were two recalls for the brake lines. The dealership that did my airbag and the first brake line recall two years ago said to bring it in and they would look at it. I have a couple friends at the dealership and I think if I fuss enough they'll cover it. Know more tomorrow when I drop it off.

Definitely give that thread a read through. Thanks fellas.

Wait for the dealership to give you an estimate and then call SOA immediately and file a claim. Chances are the dealership will not cover it on the first try, you’ll need to push SOA to get it covered but you need a repair estimate from the dealer first anyway. I got mine covered by SOA last fall but others have not been so lucky recently. Good luck!

Stromung dual walled/resonated tips are amazing.

[ATTACH]279229[/ATTACH]

I'm pretty torn on the Stromung look vs the HKS Silent Hi-Power, I really like them both. But the Stromung wins hands down on the sound, so that's what I'm running.

I like how the tips protrude out pass the bumper. On my sedan they don't and I suspect its contributing to my issues with drone.

Stromung dual walled/resonated tips are amazing.

[ATTACH]279229[/ATTACH]

I'm pretty torn on the Stromung look vs the HKS Silent Hi-Power, I really like them both. But the Stromung wins hands down on the sound, so that's what I'm running.

That's JDM rear bumper though, correct?

2005 LGT Wagon Limited 6 MT RBP Stage 2 - 248K

2007 B9 Tribeca Limited DGM - 258K

SOLD - 2005 OB Limited 5 MT Silver - 245K

SOLD - 2010 OB 6 MT Silver - 205K

That's JDM rear bumper though, correct?

Yes, that is a JDM rear bumper with the wagon Stromung.

This alignment is perfect to me.

The USDM bumper would tuck them and I might have drone.

Right now I have zero drone and it's glorious.

The length of exhaust can vary like crazy depending on who builds it. Some match the length of USDM wagon which is tucked (Stromung), some extend USDM wagon (Nameless) pass the bumper (+2-3")

I got mine (way-back-when) for $620 from autopartswarehouse. It doesn't seem to be that cheap anymore.

If you do go with Borla make sure it looks like this one, with the mid-pipe resonator and the T shaped Y-pipe:

https://www.borla.com/products/legacy_gt_catback_exhaust_stype_part__140123.html