LegacyGT.com

R.I.P. to another windshield :-(

Well, 15k miles into our first year with our beloved 2017 Legacy Limited 2.5, and the front windshield has bitten the dust.

My wife said that on her way home from work yesterday a huge rock was kicked up by the car in front of her and hulk smashed the windshield.

I suppose I am happy that it did not hit any painted surfaces of the car, or it would have done far worse damage and upset us even more.

I have read about the reported "weak" front windshields on our Legacy's here on the forums.... I warned my wife that we would have to be careful and expect that we could possibly have to replace it a few times through the years if indeed true....so I am not really surprised, just disappointed that it happened already.

Anyway, I guess that is what glass insurance is for!

UmwggAv.jpg

26CuaVk.jpg

That was a pretty big rock judging by the impact crater. I would guess that not many windshields would have held up even that well. And unfortunately it's right in front of the driver. Did she poop her pants a little?

Everyone should check into their insurance and see if your comprehensive has a specific glass coverage. My policy covers all glass work 100% with the liquid resin, but I'd be on the hook for full comprehensive deductible if I had to get the windshield replaced. I have some family that have an optional endorsement with their insurance companies but you have to ask for and pay a little extra for it ($25 a year, deductible $100 for glass only)

That was a pretty big rock judging by the impact crater. I would guess that not many windshields would have held up even that well. And unfortunately it's right in front of the driver. Did she poop her pants a little?

A agree, I told her it looked like a giant STONE hit her windshield not a little rock. I am sure any other windshield would have also broken and I am really glad it didn't hit the body.

She definitely pooped a little!

Everyone should check into their insurance and see if your comprehensive has a specific glass coverage. My policy covers all glass work 100% with the liquid resin, but I'd be on the hook for full comprehensive deductible if I had to get the windshield replaced. I have some family that have an optional endorsement with their insurance companies but you have to ask for and pay a little extra for it ($25 a year, deductible $100 for glass only)

Thanks for this info. We are lucky and our insurance covers glass 100% with no deductible, whether it be repair or replacement.

Could be worse, I got my first chip at 900ish miles on easter sunday. Thanks, Jesus.

Sent from my LG-H871 using Tapatalk

Ugh that sucks!!! Sorry to hear that. We were definitely fortunate that it did not hit any of the body.

I have Travelers and paid zero out of pocket both times I've had to use it on my '08 Legacy.

Just had another windshield installed last week.

Supposedly they won't use the epoxy to repair, IF, it's in the drivers line of sight.

They usually don't even ask. They just replace.

Yeah, that's accurate. I had a ding on the lower passenger side of the windshield. The guy that came out and did the liquid fill on my Outback said that there was a criteria they had to use. I can still see the fill when the light is just right, so that probably is one of the reasons why they don't want to put it in front of the driver's LOS.

I wonder if the liquid fill is a problem for EyeSight, too?

I have Travelers and paid zero out of pocket both times I've had to use it on my '08 Legacy.

Just had another windshield installed last week.

Supposedly they won't use the epoxy to repair, IF, it's in the drivers line of sight.

Yeah, that's accurate. I had a ding on the lower passenger side of the windshield. The guy that came out and did the liquid fill on my Outback said that there was a criteria they had to use. I can still see the fill when the light is just right, so that probably is one of the reasons why they don't want to put it in front of the driver's LOS.

I wonder if the liquid fill is a problem for EyeSight, too?

Thanks for the info. Our insurance told us that unless the crack is longer than a dollar bill, that they will try to repair it, but otherwise will replace it if it's not repairable.

The crack IS right in the line of sight of the driver though, so I would imagine they are going to replace it.

I honestly would almost prefer that they repair it. The car only has 15,000 miles on it and I don't like the idea of having the front trim, bezels, etc all taken apart for the front window to be replaced. Not to mention, I am sure it is not going to be replaced with OEM Subaru glass. I just don't want other problems down the road because the windshield was replaced, which I know is kind of a unavoidable risk when they are replaced.

Think this varies state to state. I some states where you have vehicle inspections, it won't pass if there is something obstructing drivers LOS and there are probably different levels of this even in those that do have inspections. hence the insurance company has no choice but to replace. In others they probably just go by what the minimal (or federal) safety standard is.

Thanks for the info. Our insurance told us that unless the crack is longer than a dollar bill, that they will try to repair it, but otherwise will replace it if it's not repairable.

The crack IS right in the line of sight of the driver though, so I would imagine they are going to replace it.

I honestly would almost prefer that they repair it. The car only has 15,000 miles on it and I don't like the idea of having the front trim, bezels, etc all taken apart for the front window to be replaced. Not to mention, I am sure it is not going to be replaced with OEM Subaru glass. I just don't want other problems down the road because the windshield was replaced, which I know is kind of a unavoidable risk when they are replaced.

You can always demand an OEM part. You may pay more, or the difference, but you get the OEM quality part.

Archived