LegacyGT.com

Official jdm conversion/aftermarket body thread

I was quoted $1100 to have it shipped to me from Yahoo auctions. Safe to say I didn't order it from them.

yep that sounds about right. you need friends in jpn and deep pockets. even worse with covid. only shipping service out of jpn is DHL, which is by far the most expensive, even for small items. My front sti brake lines were $50 to ship at 450g. thank goodness i did all my big part before the pandemic.

s402 lips go for $1200-$1400 depending on condition. then $1000 to ship. $2400 is a lot of money for something that close to the ground. i'll remove mine in the winter.

Edited by 05MNLGT

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Still kinda crazy that's how much it was just for the lip even with covid. I bought a facelift STI bumper from the yahoo auctions and that was $1,100 to ship with DHL. The bumper I get, the lip not so much. For comparisons sake, I bought an OEM front lip for my S2000 from the UK and that was only $150 in shipping. I also bought a new STI lip off Nengun for the non-STI JDM facelift bumper I have and the shipping was only ~$170 via FedEx coming from Japan. DHL was like $20 more.

I haven't talked to madrig about this yet but I had the idea to buy a new STI lip from Nengun or wherever and have it shipped to him for the carbon fiber treatment. That way he has the template for others and I can have multiples in case one ever gets trashed for probably the same cost as one authentic lip pre-shipping costs.

Edited by DoctorDaveLGT

I don't think he does but could be wrong. I know he has a non-STI JDM facelift bumper with the Subaru under spoiler (not the lip) like me and we casually mentioned in my build thread trying to find a lip solution for that under spoiler.

See post 29 for clarification on under spoiler. https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/doctors-05-white-wagon-281690p2.html

I don't think he does but could be wrong. I know he has a non-STI JDM facelift bumper with the Subaru under spoiler (not the lip) like me and we casually mentioned in my build thread trying to find a lip solution for that under spoiler.

See post 29 for clarification on under spoiler. https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/doctors-05-white-wagon-281690p2.html

Just saw your thread, looks great. We'll be twins once you get that bumper on. I have the body-painted option lip on mine but I feel I need some kind of polyurethane lip as well.. If madrig gets something going I'd be interested in that.

Thats too much, you can get a lip from Japanparts for $600 shipped.

$1000 is overkill

agreed, but you're buying from a control auction company. they charge what they want. they are a rip-off. why i don't deal with them for big items. for my lip i paid extra for additional protective packing, which raised the weight and size. without it, it would have been $500 to ship, but i have friends who ship for me.

other auto parts companies in jpn are shipping out tons of parts daily. they need low cost shipping to stay in business. yahoo and other auction site dont. most business comes from inside jpn and surrounding communities.

Edited by 05MNLGT

that was how hkc-speed was doing it. buying a container and having locals fill it to the top.

y'all need to do the same. One container load would outfit a number of cars

did that with valleylegacy 4 yrs ago for a bunch of larger parts. bumpers, fenders and wheels. my next plan is to import a tbsti wagon. lots of them cheap there.

Edited by 05MNLGT

I've been dealing with a company called JDM Buyer based in Texas that has a service where you share container space. I purchased a pair of Recaro's through them. However, with COVID there've been significant delays so I can't recommend them yet. I purchased back in April and they are still trying to fill their container. I knew what I was getting into so I'm not too upset about it.

What I don't like about their service is that they will hold all of your funds, even if they exceed the final auction price by a significant amount ($700 in my case), until the entire process is over and the items are on their final leg to you. Hopefully that will change if this aspect of their business is to grow.

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

I don't see any issue with sharing, the type of service improves with more customers. You don't purchase space per se, but they have a schedule of fees based on the type of item (which is based on their volume, presumably. Have you checked out their website?

muFreight.co
A JDM Container Sharing Service from Japan 🇯🇵 to NYC 🗽
 🌐 Website📷 Instagram✉️ Email

Bessie II's Thread

For those of you completing the facelift jdm conversion. If you have a facelift USDM legacy, would you mind trying to install the jdm bumper without the jdm lights or fenders. I’m reading conflicting info that says the bumper works without needing the fenders and lights.

For those of you completing the facelift jdm conversion. If you have a facelift USDM legacy, would you mind trying to install the jdm bumper without the jdm lights or fenders. I’m reading conflicting info that says the bumper works without needing the fenders and lights.

Dunno about the facelift one but you can actually install the JDM facelift spec B bumper on the non-facelift USDM legacy without changing the lights or fenders if you cut a tab on the headlight area... BL5BO did this check him out on YouTube

Dunno about the facelift one but you can actually install the JDM facelift spec B bumper on the non-facelift USDM legacy without changing the lights or fenders if you cut a tab on the headlight area... BL5BO did this check him out on YouTube

Preface it works but for facelift it has been common knowledge that the fenders and headlights are needed to make the front bumper work. Im trying to get confirmation if a facelift bumper will work without needing JDM lights or jdm fenders.

Preface it works but for facelift it has been common knowledge that the fenders and headlights are needed to make the front bumper work. Im trying to get confirmation if a facelift bumper will work without needing JDM lights or jdm fenders.

... what's common knowledge is that the USDM facelift bumper does not work with the JDM facelift bumper without the fenders and headlights. I'm trying to save you some $$ since you're showing an 05 in your sig. This is what I'm referring to and I'm willing to bet most people haven't contemplated putting the JDM facelift bumper on the non-facelift USDM model without a whole front clip:

Screenshot-20200812-153149-You-Tube.jpg

If you already have a USDM facelift front then you're out of luck unless you do the whole conversion.

The reason I ask is because some one sent me a picture of an outback using a facelift bumper with usdm fenders and lights.

... what's common knowledge is that the USDM facelift bumper does not work with the JDM facelift bumper without the fenders and headlights. I'm trying to save you some $$ since you're showing an 05 in your sig. This is what I'm referring to and I'm willing to bet most people haven't contemplated putting the JDM facelift bumper on the non-facelift USDM model without a whole front clip:

Screenshot-20200812-153149-You-Tube.jpg

If you already have a USDM facelift front then you're out of luck unless you do the whole conversion.

Can you post that picture? I am really curious now as I have a facelift jdm front end on my 05.

0adfb0ccdf0bb1577b385117de578e38.jpg

Facelift jdm bumper with USDM lights and USDM fenders.

I want to clarify if it’s only possible on the outback or if the bumper bolts on to USDM lights and fenders.