LegacyGT.com

Ryan's Double Unicorn

Shogun506

In other wiring related news - I've been able to get my steering wheel audio controls to work properly with my headunit now so I've got fully functioning cruise control, audio controls, illumination and everything else on my wheel. Interior feels like a 2015 now.

Anyone who wants to do this I've written a series of youtube videos on modernizing your steering wheel (and the rest of the interior is in my channel too):

IMG-20200711-082418.jpg

One day I'm planning to repaint the interior to tie it all leather and do some leather upholstery on some pieces.

Also decided to throw one of those universal lips on the front since I can't find a well-fitting polyurethane lip for this bumper.

20200701-211804edit.jpg

Looks good but feels wrong being one of those cheap weatherstripping type lips..

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Channel is legit, just subscribed. Watched the Headlight video, kinda wished there was the video on taking everything apart.

Thanks, yeah I skipped it because I showed how to do it in the video about converting JDM to USDM headlights.

Did you use the idatalink maestro sw for the steering wheel controls?

Yes - there are other options out there from other companies but either way you have to buy something for it to work. I like the idatalink because you can program each button to have a second function when you hold it down for a second, so really you double the functionality and can add things like voice control etc.

Right on, that's what I've been eyeing as well and specifically for that second function program feature.

Looking at your steering wheel I'm guessing you used the firmware for the 08-09 Legacy updated steering wheel rather than the 05-07 firmware?

Thanks, yeah I skipped it because I showed how to do it in the video about converting JDM to USDM headlights.

Sorry meant more of the taking the headlight fully apart like baking and re-sealing.

Just dropped a full 2016 STI catback onto my car and it is absolutely perfect. Nice tone, not too loud, and ZERO drone. Much better than the OBX catback I tried on my last wagon.. and that ass tho.. :wub::wub::wub:

20200715-184421.jpg

20200715-175556.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Hey Shogun,

Taking a look at your videos, in your audio install I seen originally you tapped into the OEM speaker wires for your doors, but in the amp install video I see you ran the blue KnuKoncepts speaker wires back into behind the head unit. Did you just solder the blue 12 gauge wires to the OEM speaker wires? Also I know you mentioned in the speaker video that you dont plan to sell the car so you didnt care about removing the connectors on the front and rear doors but wouldnt the safer move been to cut the speaker connections from the aftermarket harness so the stock harness stays pretty intact? Asking for my reference, I installed the Pioneer 2770NEX in my car and got some components waiting to install. I dont know if I want to wait to get the amp or just go ahead and install the speakers. I think I should be fine without the amp for now but unsure, learning CarAV as I go

Hey Shogun,

Taking a look at your videos, in your audio install I seen originally you tapped into the OEM speaker wires for your doors, but in the amp install video I see you ran the blue KnuKoncepts speaker wires back into behind the head unit. Did you just solder the blue 12 gauge wires to the OEM speaker wires? Also I know you mentioned in the speaker video that you dont plan to sell the car so you didnt care about removing the connectors on the front and rear doors but wouldnt the safer move been to cut the speaker connections from the aftermarket harness so the stock harness stays pretty intact? Asking for my reference, I installed the Pioneer 2770NEX in my car and got some components waiting to install. I dont know if I want to wait to get the amp or just go ahead and install the speakers. I think I should be fine without the amp for now but unsure, learning CarAV as I go

Hey so I used the car's regular speaker wiring for the door speakers. After installing the amp, yes I ran the 12 gauge to the OEM wiring for now. You can definitely solder them but I used that solder heatshrink stuff since I find it gives a pretty secure connection in tight spaces. In terms of the car harness vs the aftermarket harness, if you decide to use the OEM wiring you can definitely make the cut and run the wires on the aftermarket harness side since it feeds into the OEM harness anyway. That's definitely a safe way to go if you want to preserve the car harness. I'm trying to remember why I cut the car harness and I think it had to do with the fact that it was already cut from someone tapping into a few of those wires for a subwoofer signal so I just decided to make all the connections there instead of patching that back up and and then cutting the Pioneer harness.

I can't find any specs for the Pioneer 2770NEX but depending on how much power it has and how much power your components need, you might be good without an amp. The Polks handle up to 100RMS and the DMH1500 only gives something like 22 watts RMS so I needed the amp for the speakers to achieve their potential.

Lastly, if you install an amp and run wires directly from the amp to the doors instead of using the car harness that's a good option as well. I did that with an older car one time and didn't find the benefit to be worth the trouble. I plan on running those wires eventually and bypassing the thinner wires in the car harness if I have the floor carpet out for something in the future but for now the car harness is the 90% solution.

Yea, the 27700NEX does RMS Power of 22 watts with a Peak Output of 50 watts while the Morel Speakers I have can take a Maximum RMS of 90 watts and a Peak Power Handling of 180 watts. Crutchfield doesn't list a minimum RMS needed so I might toss them in, they even added some speaker harness to connect the factory harness to aftermaket kit so I dont have to splice them in.

Edit:

Looks like I was living in 2025 lol the real model number of my headunit is 2660NEX not 2770NEX. Started to realized there was an issue with the model number when google searches were coming back kind of wild

Edited by Dre617
Wrong Model

That’s a fine looking wagon. Did the facelift front end bolt right up?

Bolted up to the frame surprisingly easily, just needed the JDM "meat" to put on the bones but everything can be done without any cutting or serious modification