LegacyGT.com

Tuner in Pittsburgh Pennsylvania

Looking for a tuner in Pittsburgh. Just installed a vf52 and just want to get its benefits in my 2005 lg manual gt. Ihave no engine mods and really dont plan on any other than something that be safety related to having installed the vf52. I have read much of the e tune, os, access port, dynos and remain totally confused. The car runs fine I just need to have it tuned.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

The car runs fine I just need to have it tuned.

I would seriously doubt that your car is running fine with a VF52 on a stock tune and stock parts. My advise would be to park it until you find a tuner.

I'd also recommend with that turbo that you install a catless up pipe (if your uppipe is catted), a High flowing downpipe, either a bullet proofed stock TMIC or an aftermarket TMIC, an electronic boost control solenoid, bigger injectors, Higher flow fuel pump, and then get a solid Stage 3 tune with fueling. Do it right.

If you don't want to do it right, go back to the VF40 stock turbo.

Appreciate your input. I guess you missed my comment about not doing engine upgrades unless they are safety related because of the vf52. I cant go back to the vf40 because it went south ie the reason for the vf52. This is my back up car for winter driving. My DD is an 02 vo6 with a 2.6 Kenne Bell SC. So I will keep hunting for a tuner and constructive comments from viewers. In Pennsylvania, especially the Pittsburgh uncatted up/down pipes wont pass a state inspection. I appreciated you comments. Thanks

You will be ok for a bit on a stock tune vf52. Just won't be utilizing its full potential. I would try and stay out of boost. Definitely get a downpipe, accessport, and etune and let her fly. I ran my vf52 to 300 wheel with external wastegate, big topmount, and 850 injector. Fun little turbo. Stock downpipe is easy to swap out to pass inspection, stock injectors are fine for it as well.

Auquachuck1 - we are happy to answer any questions you have about moving forward safely. We have had quite a few customers do as you have due to the failure rate of the vf40. It still provides more performance than stock with the stock dp and a proper calibration.

Shoot us an email at cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com with any questions you have and we can try and steer you down the right path.

Thanks

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

The only local tuner with a Dyno is TPG Tuning in Blairsville. You can get the vf52 tuned on a stock "everything else" but the turbo will not be the restriction in your system and you'll be leaving up/ya on the table.

As others have said, park it or drive very carefully until you get tuned.

"Striving to better, oft we mar what's well." - Bill Shakespeare - car modder

Moore Performance is one of the top Subaru shops around, and close to Pittsburgh. I've been to the shop a couple times and the guys were cool - see if they have a tuner on staff or one to recommend.

If you decide to go with an e-tune, Cryo and Tuning Alliance are the two active on this board that offer that service. I've had good luck with Phatbotti and Clark Tuner also, fwiw.

Good luck with the car!

Code....thank for the input....actually close to upper Burrell....Im in Plum

Gex...good idea about the down pipe it is easy to get to and to remove once a year.

FYI...the engine has been cleaned(oil/ filter and flush X 2) and the vf52 has been installed, the engine hasnt been on the road yet but has been run for a few hours to make sure everything was ok with the turbo. Banjo filter removed.

Yeah if you can swing it the downpipe is a big gain as to what we can be do from a calibration standpoint in terms of power. The stock dp works but is a limiting factor for sure.

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

And once you add that downpipe and more boost, you'll eventually blow apart your stock TMIC. So, count on getting it bullet proofed or buying an aftermarket one.

It's a slippery slope. That's my point I was trying to make above.

You can probably do without the electronic boost solenoid, injectors, and fuel pump.

But at a minimum, I'd consider you think about this list of mods:

1) Uppipe

2) Downpipe

3) TMIC - something to address the stock one leaking

4) Tune

Looking for a tuner in Pittsburgh. Just installed a vf52 and just want to get its benefits in my 2005 lg manual gt. Ihave no engine mods and really dont plan on any other than something that be safety related to having installed the vf52. I have read much of the e tune, os, access port, dynos and remain totally confused. The car runs fine I just need to have it tuned.

Any help will be appreciated.

Thanks

Hey Aquachuck,

Shoot us a PM we can help you out, while we aren't located in PA, we do offer Etuning for subarus. We've had alot of experience with vf52's and etuning and its a great combo! Do you have a cobb accessport? Or are you planning on going the Open Source route? Like others have suggested, if you can you should atleast try to get a downpipe as that is a big choke point on these cars. I can provide you with a more detailed summary of etuning and process overview if you'd like, just let me know.

Also with your car being an 05/06 I highly suggest getting rid of your stock up pipe and going either a used sti catless up, or an aftermarket uppipe. The cats are known to disintegrate and kill your turbo, which will kill your motor.

Best of luck, let me know if you need any help/clarification.

-Brian

Contact us for all your tuning and performance parts needs! Etuning the legacy community since 2008!

Follow us on FACEBOOK | INSTAGRAM

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

• 1 month later...
I recently found out about PRL Motorsports in Export, PA. AWD Dyno and some really nice builds. They may be my go-to for an E85 tune very soon.

I'm in Pittsburgh and going the same route as you aqua. I'm having Moore install some of my parts and can't say enough good things about them. They are very honest and do great work. It's a good sign when it takes weeks just to get your Subie in their door. I am using BrenTuning for my e-tune and they suggested the following with my VF52 upgrade:

DW65c Fuel Pump

Electronic Boost Control Solenoid (I got Grimmspeed)

Forge BPV (Full Recirc)

I already have these engine mods in the car:

CNT Catted Down

Perrin TMIC (found used on ebay for $500)

Q300 exhaust (not necessary for gains)

I will also be installing a Perrin Inlet tube this weekend. It appears they recently revised the inlet again. The instructions are now dated 6/2016 and the inlet manufacture date is 7/2016. The collar is plastic instead of metal and there is a new type of connection for the PCV hose as well as new directions on how to connect it for our LGTs - I will be documenting the difference soon. From what I can tell the revised inlet now allows you to attach the PCV diagnostic tube/gray electronic connector to the inlet.

I'm in Pittsburgh and going the same route as you aqua. I'm having Moore install some of my parts and can't say enough good things about them. They are very honest and do great work. It's a good sign when it takes weeks just to get your Subie in their door. I am using BrenTuning for my e-tune and they suggested the following with my VF52 upgrade:

DW65c Fuel Pump

Electronic Boost Control Solenoid (I got Grimmspeed)

Forge BPV (Full Recirc)

I already have these engine mods in the car:

CNT Catted Down

Perrin TMIC (found used on ebay for $500)

Q300 exhaust (not necessary for gains)

I will also be installing a Perrin Inlet tube this weekend. It appears they recently revised the inlet again. The instructions are now dated 6/2016 and the inlet manufacture date is 7/2016. The collar is plastic instead of metal and there is a new type of connection for the PCV hose as well as new directions on how to connect it for our LGTs - I will be documenting the difference soon. From what I can tell the revised inlet now allows you to attach the PCV diagnostic tube/gray electronic connector to the inlet.

Is that your spec b that is sitting down there?

No - I wish! I've got a 5EAT and I'm in SS. I'll likely have Moore install everything in the next week or two. Here's hoping the 5EAT holds up with the VF52. I'm going conservative with my custom tune at least.

I've been trying to find some more LGT owners in the area. They are rare to spot but I recall seeing a white LGT a couple times around the city. Perhaps that's you.

Archived