LegacyGT.com

Supercharged 3.6R

I’m actually getting the 6th Gen kit here. http://raptorsc.com.au/subaru/liberty-3-6r-supercharger-system/

I understand what the OP meant to actually post. I’m working (slowly) with nameless on a catback or a conversion from an STI one, also as far as tuning is concerned, I have a few 6th Gen tuners that can help. Some of the tunersc that say they handle the install and tune are even local too in the event a remote tuner can't handle this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As much as I like Raptor, their headers and S/C kits, which are well thought out (especially the water-cooled ones), I would advice caution. This platform doesn't lend itself to mechanical compressors and parasitic load... a bi-turbo setup with stand-alone engine management would be far safer/better but not really optimal for DD or eventual sale/trade-in duty.

The EZ36D and its 6th gen Hitachi ECU and 5th gen Denso ECUs do not have the routines and room in the micro-code to allow for boost management/control, aftermarket MAP sensor support, dealing with larger/extra injectors properly (even Ecutek - which I do not recommend going to - struggles with this on the 3.6R and hacks the $#&! out of the memory space to cram in RaceROM functions, including custom tables).

Once supercharged - everything will become a limiting factor - from engine oil temps (AVCS limp mode) through mass-air metering accuracy and limits, calculated load and torque needing scaling and extrapolation of all load-related tables, fueling/ignition, knock prevention/correction strategy config to torque amplification at low RPMs by the mini-TC mated to the Lineatronic TR690 CV and CVTF temps.

You can probably swing it up to about 4-5psi of boost, but anything beyond (where it actually becomes worth it) and you're in Danger Will Robinson territory.

You should look into ItalianLegacy's (Ghio's) horror stories (most not on here... NDA) and perhaps just trade in for a end-of-production STI to use as the track toy.

Avoid Prime Motoring. Speak to AZP Installs about where to get this thing dial-ed in locally if you go through with it (perhaps Moto East in PA?).

Nameless is another mistake, especially for the 3.6R with supercharger and (hopefully) headers, some 400-cell GESi metal core cats. Drone and Rasp galore.

As much as I like Raptor, their headers and S/C kits, which are well thought out (especially the water-cooled ones), I would advice caution. This platform doesn't lend itself to mechanical compressors and parasitic load... a bi-turbo setup with stand-alone engine management would be far safer/better but not really optimal for DD or eventual sale/trade-in duty.

The EZ36D and its 6th gen Hitachi ECU and 5th gen Denso ECUs do not have the routines and room in the micro-code to allow for boost management/control, aftermarket MAP sensor support, dealing with larger/extra injectors properly (even Ecutek - which I do not recommend going to - struggles with this on the 3.6R and hacks the $#&! out of the memory space to cram in RaceROM functions, including custom tables).

Once supercharged - everything will become a limiting factor - from engine oil temps (AVCS limp mode) through mass-air metering accuracy and limits, calculated load and torque needing scaling and extrapolation of all load-related tables, fueling/ignition, knock prevention/correction strategy config to torque amplification at low RPMs by the mini-TC mated to the Lineatronic TR690 CV and CVTF temps.

You can probably swing it up to about 4-5psi of boost, but anything beyond (where it actually becomes worth it) and you're in Danger Will Robinson territory.

You should look into ItalianLegacy's (Ghio's) horror stories (most not on here... NDA) and perhaps just trade in for a end-of-production STI to use as the track toy.

Avoid Prime Motoring. Speak to AZP Installs about where to get this thing dial-ed in locally if you go through with it (perhaps Moto East in PA?).

Nameless is another mistake, especially for the 3.6R with supercharger and (hopefully) headers, some 400-cell GESi metal core cats. Drone and Rasp galore.

Thanks and I spoke with AZP in regards to installing this already and they directed me Precision Tuning. I’m using AZP for my suspension purposes.

Prime said they can handle and if I see things going south then I can look elsewhere. Most likely to a spot in CT that said they can handle it too.

Also thanks for the tips. I prefer to use the Legacy as it will be sort of a sleeper as most people have STIs. I did consider that but it’s just something I wanted to do as it will be a nice challenge.

OK. Good luck, hope for the best but careful with the t00ners.

They will all (most) say they can handle it, because they'd love to help you part with your $$$.

I'd find the somewhat local t00ner who say I can't/won't and here are the 4 reasons why and persuade him to try

over anyone who says they can handle it (hint: they can't). I've worked on too many 3.6R tunes in the past 8 years

and know the ROM structure of both the previous and current-gen well enough to be able to say that.

If you proceed, it will be a bit of a bumpy road as Gio found out.

See if you can find someone who uses Epifan's SubaruEdit to tune the 2015+ 3.6R, that's likely your only hope.

I'm also surprised AZP recommended Precision - maybe given location and relative distance... odd. CT place is great for fabrication, not so much t00ning.

OK. Good luck, hope for the best but careful with the t00ners.

They will all (most) say they can handle it, because they'd love to help you part with your $$$.

I'd find the somewhat local t00ner who say I can't/won't and here are the 4 reasons why and persuade him to try

over anyone who says they can handle it (hint: they can't). I've worked on too many 3.6R tunes in the past 8 years

and know the ROM structure of both the previous and current-gen well enough to be able to say that.

If you proceed, it will be a bit of a bumpy road as Gio found out.

See if you can find someone who uses Epifan's SubaruEdit to tune the 2015+ 3.6R, that's likely your only hope.

I'm also surprised AZP recommended Precision - maybe given location and relative distance... odd. CT place is great for fabrication, not so much t00ning.

Yeah AZP said they could do the installation but told me to go to Precision for the tuning where Precision said they can handle it all.

I even contemplated putting the new Ascent engine into the car but I thought since there's more experience dealing with the 3.6 that I would get more help from people.

Thanks again

If you're not monitoring and logging yet, and if your 3.6R is on an older stock reflash, I would highly recommend:

a. updating to latest ECU and TCU reflashes (PAK files with new CID/CALIDs)

This will form the basis for your future tune, else you will get stuck on an older microcode revision with no easy way to update later

b. arming yourself with a Tactrix OPv2 + Btssm

or OBDLinkLX (latest firmware) + Btssm combo.

Monitor and log your 3.6R to get a sense of how it runs now.

This will give you the invaluable baseline/benchmark to refer back to once thr S/C, new injectors and anything else goes on. A/F Learn and Correction ranges, IAM, FKC, FLKC, Timing, Load, MAFv stability, IAT, IMT, ECT, Int/Exh VVTi angle sync between banks, etc.

I’ve actually contemplated buying a 718 but it isn’t practical for if I have my guys with me. I also don’t want a Charger. I decided to work on what I’m familiar with and attempt to make it what I want for more fun.

I wanted to test out what I could on this platform with the AWD and available mods, if it doesn’t work then I’ll part it out and get my Cayman or TTS. There’s plenty of people supplying me with helpful information instead of just saying ‘buy an STI’ and I appreciate those who don’t discourage a project.

Yup. In terms of ROM structure and logic its the same as any 2015+, bar some eyesight3 tidbits and regional and emissions spec diffs.

But in terms of memory addresses and ECUID, CID/CALID - the 2018 is unique to its own Model Year designation.

Tuning approach will be the same, tuning support for a 2018 ROM will come at the price of someone defining the ROM structure and table addresses (fairly tedious even if the t00ner of choice has extensive 2015, 16, 17 definitions). That will help tremendeously though.

Careful what you ask for... it will run but it will not easily a. pass NJ/PA/CT/NY inspection, emissions b. ECU and TCU will be in a constant tug of war with S/C, boost and new injectors (bye bye silky smooth idle) c. lots more phantom/ghost knock (bye bye power and MPGs with low timing) d. and perhaps most importantly - the S/C should be supplemented with supporting mods which can easily double the build cost (engine oil cooler, CVTF cooler, exhaust headers, full exhaust with metal core GESi HO cats, fuel pump)

It will be fun for a while and will run for a while, until boom and partout or boom and rebuild.

All for 2019 econobox Accord V6 or Camry V6 or last decade Audi S4, M3 -like performance with 50% of their reliability and consistency.

The EZ36D H6 was designed as NA and should stay NA.

Great highway cruiser, touring car and nothing more.

I would only attempt FI if sponsored (like Gio) or with money to burn on a project car or track toy.

The EZ36D H6 was designed as NA and should stay NA.

Great highway cruiser, touring car and nothing more.

+1

Laughing at oneself and with others is good for the Soul![emoji2]

Laughing at Oneself and with Other is good for the Soul😆

Archived