LegacyGT.com

RCE black vs H&R springs

Hi all,

currently I'm riding on 2011 WRX 17" wheels with 225-50-17 tires.

I have KYB shocks, 2013-14 front springs and 2010-12 rear springs. I enjoy the ride and firmness/comfort but am looking for lowered stance. I have been researching this thread and wants to pick between the RCE or H&R.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/h-r-lowering-springs-200651p6.html

How different is the ride between RCE and h&R compared to stock 13-14?

I am looking a little firmer/planted ride, avoid nose dive and lurches. At the same time i dont want to be too firm that driving on freeways speed (>60mph) over bumps or uneveness causes the car to jump.

tgt323 said her ride is bouncier than stock?

PLease help me pick one.

Both of those are going to be firmer than stock. Near as anyone has been able to guess, Eibach springs are about the same stiffness as the '13/'14 springs, but with about a 1" drop. Those should be a good match to the KYB replacement shocks, since those seem to be valved the same (or close to it) as the '13/'14 OEM shocks (which are made by KYB).

Dunno if you're also considering Koni shocks, but those would do a lot to help control the bucking and diving you're mentioning, even on OEM '10-'12 springs (not sure why you'd do that, though). You might end up feeling a little oversprung with the RCEs or the H&Rs on OEM shocks, which will give you the jumpy feeling over bumps and around curves.

Hi all,

currently I'm riding on 2011 WRX 17" wheels with 225-50-17 tires.

I have KYB shocks, 2013-14 front springs and 2010-12 rear springs. I enjoy the ride and firmness/comfort but am looking for lowered stance. I have been researching this thread and wants to pick between the RCE or H&R.

http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/h-r-lowering-springs-200651p6.html

How different is the ride between RCE and h&R compared to stock 13-14?

I am looking a little firmer/planted ride, avoid nose dive and lurches. At the same time i dont want to be too firm that driving on freeways speed (>60mph) over bumps or uneveness causes the car to jump.

tgt323 said her ride is bouncier than stock?

PLease help me pick one.

where are you located? I have 13/14 springs on my konis and am going back to stock this spring. maybe we could work something out if you're interested in konis?

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

Both of those are going to be firmer than stock. Near as anyone has been able to guess, Eibach springs are about the same stiffness as the '13/'14 springs, but with about a 1" drop. Those should be a good match to the KYB replacement shocks, since those seem to be valved the same (or close to it) as the '13/'14 OEM shocks (which are made by KYB).

Dunno if you're also considering Koni shocks, but those would do a lot to help control the bucking and diving you're mentioning, even on OEM '10-'12 springs (not sure why you'd do that, though). You might end up feeling a little oversprung with the RCEs or the H&Rs on OEM shocks, which will give you the jumpy feeling over bumps and around curves.

Would you be able to elaborate more on what oversprung means? tgt232 had them installed and stated that it was "As far as the driving goes, it feels almost the same as stock. Only difference is it's a little more bouncy, but not that noticeable". I saw the EIbach and seems theyre are the likely match for my setup but I am still exploring. Thank you!

Looks like KYB made a replacement Strut for the 13-14 cars that Rock Auto (take that for what its worth) is specific to the 13-14 as in its not the one they make for the 10-12 (even though they interchange physically).

Capture.PNG.c74bd190eb80baa12cdfbaebc6bd5537.PNG

Looks like KYB made a replacement Strut for the 13-14 cars that Rock Auto (take that for what its worth) is specific to the 13-14 as in its not the one they make for the 10-12 (even though they interchange physically).
Well would you look at that! Nice find!

The simple explanation is that if you're oversprung (or underdamped), the springs will overpower the shocks, which usually results in the wheels bouncing over bumps, kinda like if you had a dry shock.

For the more involved version, take a peek at this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damping_ratio#Oscillation_cases

So being oversprung, the car will bounce since the shock cant compensate the harder spring rate. Over all the car will ride like a bouncy ball and more dangerous over uneven roads at high speed? Am i right? Thanks. If that is the case, ill go for the eibach or just stick to stock springs. Thanks

So being oversprung, the car will bounce since the shock cant compensate the harder spring rate. Over all the car will ride like a bouncy ball and more dangerous over uneven roads at high speed? Am i right? Thanks. If that is the case, ill go for the eibach or just stick to stock springs. Thanks
Exactly. When I put H&R's on my 2012, the bouncing was down right scary as hell and I almost sh!t my pants a few times before I hurried to get Konis on there.

Exactly. When I put H&R's on my 2012, the bouncing was down right scary as hell and I almost sh!t my pants a few times before I hurried to get Konis on there.

I see. That is unfortunate :(. Even though I have the kyb, I don’t think it’ll live up to the H&r spring rate. Does anyone have photos of ho much drop the Eibach gives? Since they’re nearly spec’Ed as the 13-14 springs

I actually emailed KYB about this earlier in the week since they aren't available anywhere online. I also had questions about the Excel-G stiffness compared to stock. The reply I received yesterday:

"The '10-'12 Excel-G (339223/339222) on average have a 10-15% increase in damping vs. OEM. The 13'-14' (3340107/3340106) have a 70% increase in rebound & 10% increase in compression vs. the 339223/339222. I show all four part numbers available for any of our retailers to order."

Their response is a bit confusing since he/she used different terms when talking about the same thing between different models. What I took out of it, is that the KYB 13/14's are 20% stiffer than the 10-12 oem and they have much more rebound control.

KYB has a list of retailers on their site ranging from autozone, jegs, etc. There's about 15 if i remember correctly? I checked at least 10 of those sites last night and not a single one even showed a result for the 13/14 part number. Rockauto and Orielly are the only ones i've found that show a result but they dont give pricing or allow you to buy them. I clicked the "notify me button" on rock auto about a month ago, and haven't heard anything.

There's another site wrenchmonkey.com that shows them available, but to call for pricing. I'll email them shortly and report back.

I also responded to KYB's email last night and asked for a specific place to purchase from since their system shows them as available. Still waiting on a response.

Not in a huge hurry to get these as they wont be going on until it warms up. The 13/14 KYB sound like a great inexpensive solution for people that want to improve their sloppy suspensions that don't want to go the Koni insert treasure hunt route.

Sounds like the 10-12 have the same increase over stock for both compression and rebound where they valved their 13-14 to have a little more compression resistance and much higher rebound force (less resistance than stock) in order to keep the tire on the road after taking a hit.

My guess is she's a social media person reading from a script and poorly paraphrasing.

If you go with Excel-G I would consider the 13-14s as they sound like a version 2 point 0. If you go with KYB I think other guys on this site can better say what is going to work for you and your needs.

Just heard back from KYB again. Since the 13/14s were just released, retailers have not taken stock of them yet, but they should be able to order if you were to request it.

I'll be ordering these within the next couple of months once it warms up in the garage. There may be some gently used Koni inserts available in the near future.....

I actually emailed KYB about this earlier in the week since they aren't available anywhere online. I also had questions about the Excel-G stiffness compared to stock. The reply I received yesterday:

"The '10-'12 Excel-G (339223/339222) on average have a 10-15% increase in damping vs. OEM. The 13'-14' (3340107/3340106) have a 70% increase in rebound & 10% increase in compression vs. the 339223/339222. I show all four part numbers available for any of our retailers to order."

Their response is a bit confusing since he/she used different terms when talking about the same thing between different models. What I took out of it, is that the KYB 13/14's are 20% stiffer than the 10-12 oem and they have much more rebound control.

KYB has a list of retailers on their site ranging from autozone, jegs, etc. There's about 15 if i remember correctly? I checked at least 10 of those sites last night and not a single one even showed a result for the 13/14 part number. Rockauto and Orielly are the only ones i've found that show a result but they dont give pricing or allow you to buy them. I clicked the "notify me button" on rock auto about a month ago, and haven't heard anything.

There's another site wrenchmonkey.com that shows them available, but to call for pricing. I'll email them shortly and report back.

I also responded to KYB's email last night and asked for a specific place to purchase from since their system shows them as available. Still waiting on a response.

Not in a huge hurry to get these as they wont be going on until it warms up. The 13/14 KYB sound like a great inexpensive solution for people that want to improve their sloppy suspensions that don't want to go the Koni insert treasure hunt route.

This means that the KYB excel-g replacement for 13-14' is "more well-tuned" than 10-12' KYB Excel-G?

I was looking for the replacement struts ~1.5 yr ago and the 13-14 didn;t show up.

Do they usually take a few years to develop new shocks?

My GT's previous owner had paired Eibach with 10-12 KYB struts. It rode pretty good with that combo. For money it was a good value and a significant improvement. I do not know what the life expectancy is for the KYB's with lowering springs.

This means that the KYB excel-g replacement for 13-14' is "more well-tuned" than 10-12' KYB Excel-G?

I was looking for the replacement struts ~1.5 yr ago and the 13-14 didn;t show up.

Do they usually take a few years to develop new shocks?

id say so since they're designed for the stiffer spring rate of the 13/14 springs. they would probably go great with the eibachs then.

• 3 weeks later...
Anyone acquired these yet? I put an order in with shockwarehouse.com as they show them available and are a kyb-listed distributor.. but just now I looked at my tracking and it says the shipment was cancelled by vendor. Waiting on response from them explaining this.

Anyone acquired these yet? I put an order in with shockwarehouse.com as they show them available and are a kyb-listed distributor.. but just now I looked at my tracking and it says the shipment was cancelled by vendor. Waiting on response from them explaining this.

I was a bit leery of that site since it was the only one showing up with the parts. Yesterday I googled the part numbers again, and summitracing came up. It says orders will ship 3/30. Their prices were also like $5 cheaper per strut. I'd give them a shot.

wow, this is looking good. I'm trying to wrap my head around it all.

13/14 kyb excel g on a 2010 with RCE Black springs? I'd like to keep ABOUT the same stock ride height. Or go with 13/14 stock springs? Im used to tanabe gf210 on my WRX, but trying to stay "family legacy" haha

wow, this is looking good. I'm trying to wrap my head around it all.

13/14 kyb excel g on a 2010 with RCE Black springs? I'd like to keep ABOUT the same stock ride height. Or go with 13/14 stock springs? Im used to tanabe gf210 on my WRX, but trying to stay "family legacy" haha

I will say owning a 14', the stock suspension with a bigger rear bar is pretty damn good (I have a 2mm Whiteline set to 22mm). I used to own an 02 WRX wagon with USDM STI springs and 25mm perrin bars and its close to that in performance running both through the same countryside. Only difference is the weight and size of the Legacy over the WRX. My car too is a family hauler rocking car seats and nerf guns in the trunk.

I called up ShockWarehouse. The tracking email I got was a system blip. KYB was delayed sending the parts to them, associate said should be on their way to me on Monday. Crisis adverted. Helpful guy on phone.
what's your install timeline on these guys? are you going to do them soon after you get them?

Targeting this weekend or next. I should note that I will also be installing Eibachs, Group N front top hats, adjustable rear LCAs , and significantly backing off on the rear negative camber. All of this will probably make it difficult to distinctly compare the performance increase of the shocks alone.

Archived