LegacyGT.com

Cobb Flex Fuel - Am I missing something?

Cobb hasn't done whatever programming/development work is necessary for the 5th-gen GT ECU to be supported, so even if you did manage to get the Cobb kit physically installed, you wouldn't be able to take advantage of it with an Accessport.

Wouldn't matter if you had an 08-14 WRX, you still need a custom tune for that kit (they don't have an OTS map for it) - maybe call Cobb and ask them about fitment? Maybe if the connectors, harness lengths, etc. will work, you could go with that kit?

The code is not written to tune the ecu for flex fuel.

If and when that happens cobb will release a kit specific to the 05-09 lgt and 10-12 lgt.

Hope this helps

Dave

[sIGPIC][/sIGPIC]

Providing unmatched customer service and a Premium level of Dyno/E-tuning to the Community

cryotuneperformance@yahoo.com

facebook.com/cryotuneperformance.

I can agree to what others have said. You can make it work and all, but physically, the ecu can NOT support the system. As it is not “written/coded” for the flex fuel.

When I was talking with my tuner last year, it was not available, I emailed him about a month ago, still nothing.

Maybe if we can swap the actual Ecu to a wrx..? Then maybe we have a chance.

Cobb will never do it. I was laughed out of their booth when I asked about the possibility of a parts kit with no tune. He said 05-09 MAYBE but I doubt we'd ever see them come out with a new product for a decade old car. 10-12s are just way to rare for them to even think about it as they would have zero chance for profit. There is a list of almost 40 dudes with 4th gens saying they are ready to put cash down and Cobb hasn't even responded to them.

Simply get two tunes, one for 93 and one for e85. Its easy to swap maps via the AP. But, you have to make sure that you are about bone dry in the tank before swapping.

BUT, you need the supporting mods to run e85. That needs to be done first.

I made a post recently in a local Subaru group about how the tuned H6 life is a thirsty existence (18.5 gal tank, ran it pretty low, 93 oct was $3.89 so I paid nearly $70 to fill the tank on a sedan), and at least 5 different people commented something about switching to e85 or flex fuel.

I'm like, dudes, that territory has barely been plumbed by the turbo model of my car, what in the world makes you think anyone would've developed that kind of stuff for the oft-ignored H6? :lol:

I made a post recently in a local Subaru group about how the tuned H6 life is a thirsty existence (18.5 gal tank, ran it pretty low, 93 oct was $3.89 so I paid nearly $70 to fill the tank on a sedan), and at least 5 different people commented something about switching to e85 or flex fuel.

I'm like, dudes, that territory has barely been plumbed by the turbo model of my car, what in the world makes you think anyone would've developed that kind of stuff for the oft-ignored H6? :lol:

The real question is, how would that be better? E85 would increase fuel consumption...

I think their thinking was that the comparatively low price of E85 around here (<$2/gall in some places) would offset the increase in consumption, saving on total money spent on fuel. Whether or not that's accurate is debatable.

I think their thinking was that the comparatively low price of E85 around here (<$2/gall in some places) would offset the increase in consumption, saving on total money spent on fuel. Whether or not that's accurate is debatable.

AFAIK, consumption is around 30% greater when using E85 (or, only get 2/3 of the normal distance per tank). So, it has to be cheaper by quite a bit.

We try to drive it in the city here in the FFV minivan, just because I want to support the only E85 station for miles that happens to be around the corner from me. In hopes that if Cobb ever releases flex fuel for the LGT, I can use it.

However, for the NA 3.6, I don't think there's much of a benefit, other than maybe cost if it's super cheap for you. It's not like you can turn up the boost MORE on the 3.6 - it's at 0 psi permanently - and you can only increase timing so much. You can't increase compression to take advantage of the 105 octane or whatever it is.

I may well be wrong - I'm still learning - but I THINK the big advantage of E85 and why people here like it is that you can turn up the boost much higher than with CA91 (or even good 93/94) without detonation. So, instead of maxxing out at 18 psi, you can crank your turbo up to 25 psi and still not blow up your engine. Sure, you need 30% more E85, but you'll also see more power, and safer..

E85 use compared to 93 is about 25% higher, plus parts and a tune... the breakeven would probably take years if at all.

I don't think I've ever used the word "breakeven" with this car :lol::lol::lol: I'm going corn because it makes me swing a bigger sack - the fact that its cheaper than 93 is the justification to the wife. :p

I THINK the big advantage of E85 and why people here like it is that you can turn up the boost much higher than with CA91 (or even good 93/94) without detonation. So, instead of maxxing out at 18 psi, you can crank your turbo up to 25 psi and still not blow up your engine. Sure, you need 30% more E85, but you'll also see more power, and safer..

Doesn't seem right to me. A 1000 lbs. of bricks or feathers is the same. 25psi will lift heads regardless of fueling i would think.

Doesn't seem right to me. A 1000 lbs. of bricks or feathers is the same. 25psi will lift heads regardless of fueling i would think.

What he means to say is above 18ish psi the heat coming from the charged air is more than the stock intercooler can dissipate before it is pushed through the engine. E85 helps resist detonation common with increased cylinder temperatures on higher boost and 93 octane. The heads lifting...well that is another dilemma no fuel can fix.

• 11 months later...

Just a little more info on the e85 talk.

Recently spent a large amount of coin on engine with two tunes, 93 and e85. Emptied the tank two about two gallons and filled up from a BP station. The car has ethanol percentage indication installed. BP fill up with 14 gal of their e85 and two gallons of 93 was showing between 69 and 71. Drove around nice and easy for most of that tank until I got down to 1/4 tank.

I understand that Shell gas is supposed to be quite the stuff so I opted to fill up from their e85 station. Knowing that they get their corn from third party vendors, I however assumed that being a company that is proud of their product, their corn would be held to a higher standard as well.

I filled up with there e85 and my ethanol read 45. :eek: I get 15 to 20 on pump gas around the Chicago area. :confused: So now I have to baby my car for another couple of hundred miles because my e85 tune does not know how to act with this mix. I eventually reflashed back to my 93 tune just to get the engine to smooth out enough to drive the thing through that tank.

So the fun begins when I get back down to a 1/4 tank. Instead of going back to BP for my corn. I think.., come on now.., this is Shell we are talking about. I pick another Shell station, flash back to e85 tune in the station and fill up.

I get back in the car and see my full tank reading is now 30. WTF are they selling at these Shells in this area that does this. They are selling e15 as e85.

I drive the forty miles back to my house slow and easy as I can manage.

I get to within two blocks of my condo, turn onto the street leading to my place from the intersection and pop, pop, pop, smoke.

I pull in and I have a hole in my block on an engine with 1500 miles.

Archived