LegacyGT.com

when did you change the plugs in your 2.5GT?

So I am at about 45k miles and the past few tanks, my fuel economy has dropped a tad (maybe 5% or so) - figured it was likely the plugs, so I have a set of NGK SILFR6B8 on the way and I'll install them either tomorrow or Sunday. Service manual calls for 60k, but a little early sounds about right for the GT. Curious what others have done.

The gas mileage in my 2.5i has slipped a little bit in the last year. I had adjusted my cluster mpg display and my calculate fill ups used to always be within +/- .1 or .2 or the cluster read out if not dead on. In the last year it has shifter and its now 0.5-0.8mph optimistic. It has 76K miles on it and I did the plugs at 60k (along with the fuel filter). I am kind of thinking maybe my O2 sensor is aging and that is account for my slight change in fuel efficiency. The overall mpg also seem a little lower as well, I track my fuel economy every fill up on fuelly app.

I did the plugs the first time I went stg2 which was at about 40k and then I just recently changed them again at 81k with all my other work. Switched to one step colder. The cost is so low that I will probably change them out every 40-50k miles.

I had adjusted my cluster mpg display and my calculate fill ups used to always be within +/- .1 or .2 or the cluster read out if not dead on. In the last year it has shifter and its now 0.5-0.8mph optimistic.
I'm not sure what the car uses to determine the mpg in the display. On average (over the past 112 tanks...) mine is optimistic by 5% or so (with an SD of 0.4%) - I get enough scatter because my calculated is based upon what the pump puts in that I figure 5% is about right. I haven't noticed any change in the delta between what I calculate and what the mpg display gives me (I've been too lazy to adjust it - it's consistent, so that's been good for me) - the 5% (about 1mpg) drop I have seen the past few tanks is similar for both the display and what I calculate.

if the plugs don't change it, maybe I'll try the fuel filter, too (was going to wait for that until I did the timing belt, etc. - opening the fuel tank is annoying... I liked the engine compartment located filter in my old 02 WRX...)

I'm at 45k and have been tuned since 10k. Car is on the third set of plugs and forth set is going in this week...:hide:

The former tuner recommended changing them roughly every year depending on how much it gets driven. I'm sure most will say that is way to often (I kinda lean that way too) but it's just how it has been done and I'll probably keep up with it. I figure it is cheap insurance.

Archived