Timothy.B's - 2011 3.6R Limited - Build Thread

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NTxddCJittw]Quicker Upshifts[/ame]

As always, I enjoy these little tweaks I get from Ed at XRT. @1:20 is a good example. As of now this affects just 4k RPM or so and lower but much nicer shifts. On stock, you actually feel the delay between each shift. This is very quick. Almost dual clutch like. He said sometime later on he'll work on getting the shifts quicker at the top end of the rev range. Also seems to have heighten take off a bit as well.

Yeah, I've been wanting to try out the CVT 3.6R and see how it compares. Although, they seem to have a decent amount of powertrain loss compared to the 5EAT.

The 5EAT is good for 300wtq/whp pretty reliably. They could have always used the 6 speed A90E from Toyota but not sure what it can handle. Same one in the BRZ.

Or they could have done like lots of the other auto makers and gone to 7 or 8 speed auto's.

CVT was the worst thing Subaru did. There is such an extensive history of fail with that design I'm surprised they used it. I bet its got in a few years just like all the others who adopted it and ran from that sinking ship.

CVT was the worst thing Subaru did. There is such an extensive history of fail with that design I'm surprised they used it. I bet its got in a few years just like all the others who adopted it and ran from that sinking ship.

Like nissan...oh wait no. Like toyota...nope not them either still use it in the prius. I think more and more companies are going with cvts than ever before especially as their reliability improves.

The cvt has its place in subarus lineup but we desperately need something that can put the power down, I don't see anything from Toyota being helpful seeing as how the brz is rwd. I am sure there is a reason they stepped away from traditional autos, maybe space/packaging constraints, maybe a gamble on how good the cvt could be...maybe its just a stop gap measure until something really cool comes out. :rolleyes:

They should just put a manual six speed with the 3.6. That would be real nice.:hide:

As much as I agree and would love to see this happen, I think that would draw too much attention away from their bread and butter: the turbo flat-4. The 3.6R can already be made nearly as fast as current STIs with a strong tune and some light modding, so you remove the extra hp drain between the 5EAT and a proper 6MT, and you have lineup-leading performance from a non-flagship car. Subaru would be shooting their own marketing in the foot.

CVT offers improved gas mileage over traditional auto, and less expensive than a 7 or 8 speed auto. And better than a manual too. Efficiency is driving drivetrain design until more efficient power can be made.

BBPeik makes no one want to ever swap a 6MT into anything :p

I think they went with the 5EAT because of the gearing in it worked well with the 3.6's power output. I really would have liked to see a 6 or 7 speed auto though. I bet they're going to CVT's because they're being forced to run better mileage and improving the CVT that they already had was the cheapest option vs developing a whole new transmission.

Edit: Literally just said it at the same time as GTeaser, haha.

Edited by Timothy.B

CVT offers improved gas mileage over traditional auto, and less expensive than a 7 or 8 speed auto. And better than a manual too. Efficiency is driving drivetrain design until more efficient power can be made.

Agreed, and also form a green house gas stand point not having the transience associated with rpm fluctuation from shifting helps with control of emissions in a huge way. But, every efficient power transmission device I've seen is also weak, but that's what makes them efficient, they are at their threshold. On paper CVT sounds great, in application it has not been reliable, even in non-performance applications.

• 1 month later...
Decided to go white stitch for the wheel and shifter. I think it looks a lot nicer like this. I'm thinking about re-creating the design on the center console arm rest and maybe eventually the door arm rest. These we're bought from Aliexpress.com and DHGate.com.

3uiMaGb.jpg

z78McGk.jpg

GEzaekE.jpg

Looks good. I like it better than the red. It would match the GT interior better as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So have you installed the suspension? Also anything come of the Oil Consumption? So you have 18x8.5 +48 with 245/45/18 correct? Are you not getting any type of rubbing between tire and Strut? Car looks excellent by the way. Steering wheel/shifter wrap combo is killer.

Still on stock suspension. Saving up for a house so it's on hold until we move in. It's next major mod to go on. Oil consumption seems to be about 1.5qts at 3200 miles. It's been pretty much the same amount of consumption since I've got he car so I haven't really worried much about it anymore.

I haven't had any issues with rubbing. One of the reasons I went with this setup was I wanted to keep the scrub radius as close to stock as possible. She handles well for having a boaty suspension. I just have the upgraded links and sway bars.

My drivetrain noise has gotten much worse now that the colder temps have come and I've been beating a bit harder on the car. I'm gonna reload the stock ROM again and drive around on it for a week before I take her in. Going to go to a different dealership this time and have a tech ride with me. It's gotten pretty noticeable. Especially on hard take off. Sounds like I have a supercharger. No bueno.

Thanks for the compliments! I can't wait to do the color matched grill. I think that'll complete the front end. I'm gonna do the same mesh as Tanner (MRLancaster?) and use it on the lower grill portion as well. I wish I had those nice seats that the dark interior Legacy's have. And the black interior pieces. The ivory needs to be whiter and less tan for my liking.

I wish I had those nice seats that the dark interior Legacy's have. And the black interior pieces. The ivory needs to be whiter and less tan for my liking.

Keep on the lookout for a wrecked Legacy or Outback in your area on Craigslist or similar. We had a 2011 Legacy here in the KC area about a year ago with good interior parts.

On a side note, my Outback is for sale and it has great interior parts ;)

• 1 month later...

Some minor updates. My rear differential was replaced under warranty. Never said why it was failing. I guess they send parts away to be inspected? Much better now. Car is no longer whining :lol: Also waiting for a boost tester to check intake for leaks. Once I confirm all is well, planning on testing Boostane for bringing the car up to 99 octane from 93. Only needs about 1/4 of a 32oz Boostane Professional bottle for a full tank.

I've got a package of VLED's coming, I'll update when I install them.

^^Your buddy wanna make form 26mm front sway bar bushings?

Whiteline AU and Hard Race Japan is the only place to get these, that I'm aware of.

Guess what my buddy made. Already tested on a 2013 3.6R Outback. Also is gonna be sending me some 20mm ones for the rear. Will install on a warmer winter day here.

MVIMG_20171126_183809.thumb.jpg.801db9a59f8f8fd03a4d7bd07f47f36c.jpg

Edited by Timothy.B

Some minor updates. My rear differential was replaced under warranty. Never said why it was failing. I guess they send parts away to be inspected? Much better now. Car is no longer whining :lol: Also waiting for a boost tester to check intake for leaks. Once I confirm all is well, planning on testing Boostane for bringing the car up to 99 octane from 93. Only needs about 1/4 of a 32oz Boostane Professional bottle for a full tank.

I've got a package of VLED's coming, I'll update when I install them.

Guess what my buddy made. Already tested on a 2013 3.6R Outback. Also is gonna be sending me some 20mm ones for the rear. Will install on a warmer winter day here.

Very nice indeed!

So what does your buddy need to get me a set?

Since I now have a 22mm rear bar, I'm thinking this is the next weak link (for me anyway). I bought a universal set of 26mm busing and mounts from Prothane, but haven't had a chance to R&D them in yet. I know about the hump under the factory bushing and had a few ideas to get around that but a drop in bushing would be easier by far. Dare I request a group buy?

Very nice indeed!

So what does your buddy need to get me a set?

Since I now have a 22mm rear bar, I'm thinking this is the next weak link (for me anyway). I bought a universal set of 26mm busing and mounts from Prothane, but haven't had a chance to R&D them in yet. I know about the hump under the factory bushing and had a few ideas to get around that but a drop in bushing would be easier by far. Dare I request a group buy?

I think he's still working out any bugs with his mold and pricing but he sounds up to it. He's done all sorts of little DIY hacks for the older gens to fix suspension issues with them. I'm using his RalliTEK knockoff that fits in the transmission mount. Uses a urethane mix that is more dense than the RalliTEK "soft" but less than the "race" version that people have complained about creating a bunch of NVH.

(rubber is around 60 on the durometer scale, he uses 80 for his molds) and the stuff you usually see sold online is 90, even more dense. It's a happy medium between NVH and performance.

I'll keep everyone updated on when things become more readily available. I wil let him know there's interest which I knew there would be. He's got one for the 24mm FSB on the LGT's so I'm sure that'll be flying off the shelf in no time.

Tim you can skip the Boostane testing, I used to even be 'sponsored' by them a few years ago, not worth it and not needed on the EZ36D, in fact similarly to Torco and a few other like products, it will coat your spark plugs, AF and O2 sensors and entire exhaust track innards with a copper/orange colored ash/dust (which in and of itself is no issue but can shorten the lifespan of the plugs and sensors).

I'm actually having some pinging issues right now that I need to resolve so Ed can't really advance the timing anyways. Thought it'd be nice for a little bump in power.

Nads, GTeaser, whoever else, with the larger 26mm FSB. The custom bushings are up https://m.ebay.com/itm/Subaru-Front-Sway-Bar-Performance-Bushing-26mm-2012-2014-Legacy-Outback/173012129198?hash=item28485395ae:g:jQ4AAOSwRbtaIwDB