LegacyGT.com

05 5EAT - Car Starts, but Dies Right Away?

Hey guys,

Car started doin something it hasn’t done before...just as I was getting home from my sister’s place (15 minute drive) I pulled into the driveway and it started idling poorly, as if it were going to die. As I came to a complete stop in my driveway, car idled rough and died, while I waited for the garage door to open.

I started her back up and without pressing the accelerator, it died again. Is this a fuel system problem? Thanks in advance!!

Not sure about the pending codes, I’ve only tried starting it three or four times since running into this issue, so I don’t know if it’s recoginzed that there is a problem just yet. Should I start her up a few more times to see if it throws any codes? Or is it harmful to do this if the fuel pump has failed? Thanks again guys.

Open the gas cap and have an assistant turn the key from Off to On (not Start) while you listen at the tank. You should hear the pump run for a second or two. If it does, hook up a fuel pressure gauge. If not, check voltage at the pump, and if voltage is good, replace the pump.

• 3 weeks later...
I can hear the pump run for a few seconds when I turn the key to the "On" position. I have a multimeter and want to check the voltage, but dunno where. Are there any walkthroughs available? What kind of voltage should it read? I can't seem to find it in the specs. Thanks!

Since the pump is running, it most likely has good voltage. Next step is get your hands on a fuel pressure gauge, tee in after the FPR, and follow the test procedure in the FSM.

Unfortunately, the Harbor Freight gauge is worthless. The $50 gauge from AutoZone does the job.

Sounds like a tired fuel pump. My outback was doing the same thing, new pump and all is good! Relative has you on the right track for diagnosing!

Just an FYI, If you buy an aftermarket pump like AEM or Walboro, you will need to use 2 o-rings for proper fitment.

Thanks guys, I am thinking of just replacing the pump and hoping it fixes my problem. My wedding is coming up in October, so I would like to minimize the overall cost of this.

Berge, do you have a link for the pump you bought? It looks like an OEM could cost around $400. Also, did it come with a new filter? Thanks again!

I bought my fuel pump from Subimods. Cost was around 100 I believe and yes and it came with o-rings and new filter. Make sure to use both black o rings on the fuel pump when you install it so that it has a good seal.

Archived