LegacyGT.com

I think I’m Ready

Just to add during your process that most get upset with is the aligning of the timing marks on the belt itself. Do yourself a favor and don't worry about the timing marks on the belt, but to concentrate on the timing marks on the gears instead. Making sure they align with the marks on the block/cover. Hand rotate the motor several times making sure the all marks align back up. I've seen a few where they trusted their alignment the 1st time and when it came time to start the motor, it idle rough and stalled out. Then they had to go back and do it again.

Good luck!

My wife's balls are delicious.

Make sure you really check your front crank pulley while you have it off. Mine delaminated the weekend after I bought it, and chewed through the front timing cover. I went with a perrin aluminum crank pulley for about 1/2 the price of OEM and never have to worry again!

I almost didn't mention this, but why not.. be careful removing the bolts in the cover, especially the lower ones. I forget if the back of the bolts are exposed, I think they are. I'd hit them with penetrating oil to reduce the chance of the nut in the cover breaking loose. The cover is cheap, but it looks annoying to replace since you have to pull the cam gear. I'd also put anti seize on the bolts when you put them back in.

https://parts.subaru.com/p/Subaru_2005_Legacy-Sedan-25L-4AT-4WD/COVER-BELT-NO2-LEFT/49226202/13575AA12A.html

Thanks for the input Everyone, looks like nothing complicated to do except that timing marks between the blocks and timing belt. Any suggestion on putting back the crank pulley nut since I read that it should not turn counter clockwise cause might mess up with the pistons, I don’t have that special holder to use?

One more thing, do you have the toothed idler gear that sits down near the water pump?

Also, I think I remember reading that the crank pulley bolt is torque to yield and it's recommended that you replace it? Obviously you probably don't have to, but I did anyway. Hopefully someone will step in and correct me if I'm wrong on that.

I found the marks on the belt very helpful. Timing belts always feel weird to me because i expect the taut side to actually be tight and the tensioner side to have little play. It usually ends up with the taut side having some play but more slack on the tensioned side, before pulling the pin. The second guessing before turning over the motor is not necessary with the marks on the belt.

• 3 weeks later...
Judging by the condition of the belt, id say its never been replaced. Thats top 5 worst Ive seen that has not broken.

I’m trying a break test on it, still holds a lot of pounds I think the steel is the one holding it, it is a Subaru OEM Belt

22f9a1d56e8f31e2e1e4262ca96cf780.jpg

I notice that the Belt was installed backward, if you see the letters on that part should come off first. I think the tech installing it before is on a hurry. :lol:

Archived