LegacyGT.com

Bent valve second time around

I did a head gasket replacement (both sides) last year, apparently during the disassembly or rather the re-assembly a #2 cyl intake valve bent. I was very cautious on timing mark placement during re-assembly etc... Put head back on and again #2 cyl intake valve bent, only one though ! I presume both valves open and close at the same time. I'm about to undergo this again this week. What advice do you offer for me to re-assemble it again, in hopes of NOT bending a valve again ?

Thanks in advance for ALL of your replies !

Regards,

Scott

Thanks for the reply - that's my concern, the timing, I was really careful looking at the sprocket marks, on both sides, basically I have NO compression in #2 and I'm puzzled as to how it got bent ! This is the driver side head, when putting the belt on do I need to compensate some way due to belt tension ?

Thanks for the reply - that's my concern, the timing, I was really careful looking at the sprocket marks, on both sides, basically I have NO compression in #2 and I'm puzzled as to how it got bent ! This is the driver side head, when putting the belt on do I need to compensate some way due to belt tension ?

Count the teeth. I have had it look in time, only to find that things tensioned and the timing marks were not in alignment. I always hand crank the engine a few times to check if everything is in time. Do you know the number of teeth you should have between the cam pulley timing marks and the cam pulley marks to the cam sprocket?

Number of teeth ? No I do not know. Hand crank engine around a few times - what do I need to look for ? - Timing marks on all 3 sprockets ( I guess ?) What is the crank rotation to cam rotation (ratio) ? When is TDC on the crank and cam ? When I remove timing belt is it correct that all 3 marks should be on ?

Update - I have removed the intake manifold and for some reason I thought I should check the compression on #2 - with tester in place I cranked engine over by hand and measured a 15 psi for that cylinder. #4 cyl. was about 40 psi. - I presume these numbers are not exactly true due to I removed the intake. Once I get that head off I hope to see a valve problem, perhaps I didn't "lap" that new valve enough the first time ? More to come...

Thanks for the "pic" - is the count the same for SOHC ? - update, I removed the head last night, no bent valve, but I did a water leak test and found the valve I changed last year has a leak, gonna have to re-lap the valve, hope this works !

No. They are different. Search for the SOHC timing belt.

Thanks, upon further review and examination, I can't find anything wrong with the head and the valve train. The previously stated water leak was wrong, I had the position wrong. I did another test last night - no leaks. I'm gonna change the variable timing solenoid, new head gasket and re-install the head and hope for the best. Thanks again for your replies..!

Update - I re-installed the head with a NEW gasket and it started right up ! - no mis-fire and no codes, although I get an intermittent code 0028 & 0026 - intake valve control solenoid, I'm just gonna change the oil and filter on Sat. 4/21 and see how long that'll last before anymore codes etc....

Thanks again to all who have replied !

Archived