LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

Yes, Fred ran 275/40-17 on a 17x9+45 wheel on Shrek IIRC.

Those were falken rt615k which are just a hair narrow compared to other 275s. That made them sit better on a 9" wheel without a lot of slop. The tires also have a decent sidewall.

For example, NT01 runs a tad wider. Those tires were not as good on my 9" wheel as they should have been. The car would get a little squirly.

I am getting a similar effect with the Q50. My 265 tires on 9" wheel. Today, those tires are going on a 9.5" wheel. It doesn't help that they don't have a very good sidewall as they bulge a tiny bit more than 275 615ks on a 9" wheel. They are Michelin pilot sport 4s.

If I still get some slop, I will have to bite the bullet and go for a lower UTQG rated tire with a stiffer sidewall or I will have to look at a "wide" 245 or 255.

I ran a 255/40/17 615k at Laguna Seca...remember, it is a narrow tire, acceleration was not easily measured. It made about a 1 to 2mph difference at top end going over turn 1. But, the 275s had more grip.

Long story short, if you run a 275/40/17 on a 9" wheel, make sure it is a narrow tire...else, run a 255/40/17 that runs wide.

With your 3.6R, my first recommendation is to run at least a 10w40 on track days, and if you get stickier rubber, find someone to make you a custom baffle for you don't want to have oil starvation and boom!

There is so much to share even with my very limited experience. I'm sure there are several guys on here who have a lot more to share.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

Enlighten me a bit further on what you mean by "custom baffle". I'm familiar with oil starvation and that the 3.6 can suffer from it on track days, but where/what are you suggesting I add a baffle to? Not quite sure on that term/application.

I should state that my longterm goal is to eventually be able to outshine the local WRX/STI trackhogs in my 3.6R, though that's an expensive road to travel, so I'm working my way up bit by bit as I can afford.

Edited by Humble Rumble

Oil pan baffle.

Less tire width will teach you to be a better driver because it will force you to be smooth and keep the tire at the grip threshold from turn in all the way thru corner exit. It will make you efficiently fast. Whereas a wider tire will give you a false sense of carrying the most speed you can through the entire corner.

Edited by GTEASER

I got my insurance bill for my 2009 Outback today. I was shocked that it was 40% less than my GT. My 2012 2.5i was about 15% less my GT. It is nice surprise, but I still not sure why the difference is so great.
Since you are one driver with 2 cars, how do you have the miles split between the 2 cars?

Since you are one driver with 2 cars, how do you have the miles split between the 2 cars?

It is actually 3 vehicles one driver :) 1K on my Syclone (maximum of 2500 miles), I estimated 12k & 12k for this year on my Subaru's. I eventually think I will get both of them down closer to 10k miles per year and qualify for low mileage credits.

It is actually 3 vehicles one driver :) 1K on my Syclone (maximum of 2500 miles), I estimated 12k & 12k for this year on my Subaru's. I eventually think I will get both of them down closer to 10k miles per year and qualify for low mileage credits.

You have a Syclone?? Cooooool! Any pics?

Pulled my in-car footage from Subaru Speed Expo the other weekend. Got my fastest lap, as well as a 2-lap battle with a VA STI and a Nismo 370Z. I think I did a pretty decent job keeping up with them! Very pleased with how my car did, can't wait to do more track stuff. :)

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sJzXb1VVG0]Subaru Speed Expo 2018 - Legacy 3.6R - 1:21.064 [ABCC North Course] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LahldCoUMMk]ABCC North Course - Legacy 3.6R vs STI vs Nismo 370Z [subaru Speed Expo 2018] - YouTube[/ame]

^^^ uh oh...I think we have another addict here.

Baffled oil pan and thicker oil.

Transmission cooler.

Race pads.

"It's within spec" - SOA :rolleyes:

"Depth is only shallowness viewed from the side." - Fredism

"So, how much did it cost for your car to be undriveable :lol:." - Stephen (very close friend)

"You have done so much it would be stupid to go back." - Sunny of Guru Electronics

2018Q50RS | 2015WrxThread | Shrek

I've had friends have issues with aftermarket serpentine belts on the 2.5, they tend to squeal since they're just a short and curly too long. Going OEM always fixes the problem, so I'd recommend just hitting the dealership or grabbing an OE one online. Just my experience...

you're right scuba, the sonoma gt was the 2wd version, though considerably toned down since it wasn't turbo'd

Yup I think so, and VERY toned down! IIRC those beasts were 4 and something seconds to 60mph trucks from the factory, in the early '90s!

WRX's of the time were 6.5 second cars lol

My local Subaru got back to me and quoted me $1,695 to add a engine remote starter to my 2013 Legacy 2.5i Prem. I know the part is not more then $300 but DAM that's one expensive labor, I'm going to be sick. I'm waiting (2) more Subaru dealership to get me prices.