LegacyGT.com

Why I built a track wagon...

My wagon was a regular participant thru 2013 at the Ridge. So it'd been 5 years since anyone had seen a black wagon at the track. When Pik showed up for his first day, more than a few people commented that they "knew that wagon". It didn't help that I showed up, too.

Driving the wagon for a couple of demo laps was way more fun than it should have been. Of course, the sound of the hubs failing over the course of the day was nothing new :-(

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I can’t comment on the noise level as I gutted the interior including the headliner prior to install...but it is solidly mounted and I don’t notice any weird noises. I have my old glass still if you are interested [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Welp, motor is toast. My guess is blown ring land in #4 cylinder. It just blows white smoke and I get a engine code p0304 cylinder 4 misfire. Then before or after the breather hose to popped off and spewed out the oil. Which, as stated before, caused a fire.

Now I have to decide between IAG, Outfront or Woolman for a closed deck block.

c1d37ee3ef2c1a0ecca71016f629e858.jpg

I am going to build a new motor for the track wagon. I am starting with a IAG closed deck stage 3 Tuff block. I am looking to get to a usable ~400 whp.

I am looking to swap out the VF52 with either the FP HTA71 or a Borg Warner EFR 6258.

Boxkita is helping me decipher the compressor maps to see which one will make power early and keep boost through the RPM range.

I am adding in a Crawford AOS v2, Perrin oil cooler and Killer B oil pan, pickup and windage tray and an Invidia cat-less DP (fingers crossed it shoots fire :lol:)

Still need to decide on headers or not, Boxkita says headers = more torque.

I now am officially overcommitted to the wagon...

If anyone needs advice on how to make bad decisions with money, I am here to help.

Haha, another quality chuckle from this thread. "Overcommitted" is a line I ended up crossing with the 6 speed swap and forged motor all the in the span of 18 months, (about two years ago). Feel ya brother...

Just looked at the price on the Stage 3 Tuff, ouch! Far be for me to steer you away as it’s obviously built for max abuse but are you sure you need to go that extreme? Seems like 400whp would be pretty safe on theie stage 2 series for about $1k less

Just looked at the price on the Stage 3 Tuff, ouch! Far be for me to steer you away as it’s obviously built for max abuse but are you sure you need to go that extreme? Seems like 400whp would be pretty safe on theie stage 2 series for about $1k less

Track wagon = race wagon . At this point. :-)

Gex you offering drives? I'll take you up. This motor is a prototype for the Slippery Pig's replacement.

Yeah. I am overbuilding for durability on track. This motor will spend most of its life around the red line and closed deck offers advantages in reduced chances of cylinder wall flex. In the big picture $1k more is a relatively small percentage increase for some piece of mind.

Why not run the IAG AOS? Also? Why not throw the DOM1.5XT-R on the turbo list? You should drive my car.

Uh...ok! I would like to take you up on that offer. When and where[emoji3]

Boxkita and I will be at the Ridge in Saturday for the race if you want to meet up there.

Track wagon = race wagon . At this point. :-)

Gex you offering drives? I'll take you up. This motor is a prototype for the Slippery Pig's replacement.

I'm right there with ya! I've got a 1-2 year plan and the dom 1.5xtr is right there at the top of my list as far as turbos go.

Want to buy my 6758? I’ve been wanting to drop a 7163 in anyway. 440 at 26psi on corn.

Can you post your dyno chart? I would like to see what the power curve looks like.

I have an update on my motor from Drive Auto Sports in Woodinville.

Need to figure out root cause. Luckily it sounds like my heads are still serviceable.

The guys were able to get your engine torn down this morning, and they found that cylinder #4 had a meltdown event.

Pauls best theory is that an injector went lean, causing the piston to meltdown. That caused an over pressurization of the crankcase, blowing off the breather hose. That allowed the oil to escape and cause the fire.

6fa18a1c71e855ecba44bf01b282887d.jpg69138e8dbfd279bff6c550a4346acc7e.jpg

I have an update on my motor from Drive Auto Sports in Woodinville.

Need to figure out root cause. Luckily it sounds like my heads are still serviceable.

The guys were able to get your engine torn down this morning, and they found that cylinder #4 had a meltdown event.

Pauls best theory is that an injector went lean, causing the piston to meltdown. That caused an over pressurization of the crankcase, blowing off the breather hose. That allowed the oil to escape and cause the fire.

6fa18a1c71e855ecba44bf01b282887d.jpg69138e8dbfd279bff6c550a4346acc7e.jpg

• 1 month later...

I got the wagon back last week! So far so good. Paul at Drive Auto Sports broke in the motor on the dyno. Drive has a DynaPak which mean they can simulate the car going up and down hills to go from load to vacuum which is needed for break-in. Break-in theory is damn near religion, but lets just say I am on team run it hard. Especially when the only new part is the block, breaking in new cams and valve train is different. The only thing that needs to 'break-in' is getting the piston rings set. If they don't get set quickly the motor will always use more oil. I will put my new fire suit on now and brace myself...

On the dyno the Cavalli Stage 2 made a ton of torque right off the bat. Paul wanted to see what it would do and it made 380 wTQ on 92 pump gas. He then asked if I had done anything to the 5MT like hardened gears. I said, no the trans is stock, which he replied, "no way I am sending you out with this then, you will zip the teeth right off the gears". So a 6MT with R180 upgrade is in my future, too bad my Boxkita Bucks expired :eek:.

He backed it off to a nice and smooth ~320wHP/350wTQ. It makes peak HP way up at 6800. The VF52 made all its power in the mid range and dropped way off up top. He also reconfigured my Tial EWG. Before it made a sound that I likened to a demonic trumpet. I guess it is not supposed to sound like that and it was causing boost flutter. The new COBB software allows the tuner to change the wastegate frequency. He bumped it from 15Hz to 30Hz and rerouted the vacuum lines from a 'push-pull' config to one way with the other venting to atmosphere. Result is the boost flutter is gone.

I am running Joe Gibbs Driven BR30 5w/30 break-in oil. I have put a bit over 100 miles on it so far and will be changing oil and filter tonight and then taking it out to Pacific Raceway tomorrow to run it.

Since my last outing there resulted in fire and an AAA call for a flatbed, I have also invested in a fire suit and a featherlight trailer.

2018-11-09_08-50-47.jpg.e8d15636154be870c4ffb1600ec8d18a.jpg