LegacyGT.com

Humble Rumble's 2012 Legacy 3.6R Build Thread

Got a handful of things to update in this thread:

-Installed Rallitek 5EAT Trans Bushing (Soft)

-Installed Prothane Rear Diff Inserts

-Changed out my front pads to Carbotech AX6 from Hawk HPS 5.0

-Mocked up the Blitzen spoiler for the first time since mounting the side skirt and rear bumper extensions

5EAT Trans Bushing: Install is pretty straight forward, just make sure to follow the instructions and use a bench vise. I tried making this happen with a pair of C-clamps, and after struggling for 20 minutes, I went to a friend's who had a bench vise and the insert was in in less than 2 minutes. There will be a bit of noticeable increase in noise and trans vibration when it's first installed, especially in lower gears at higher rpms, but it will work itself in and subside as time goes on. Feels good on the car, shifts feel improved, less buck when downshifting and coming to a stop at a light. Recommended upgrade.

Prothane Rear Diff Bushings: The cross member inserts are easy as pie to install. The rear diff inserts take a bit of time and patience due to how close the spare tire well is. Support the diff while doing both. A standard angled box-end wrench is all that's needed to get the nuts off the rear diff, a ratcheting one will make your life easier. Just work slowly and make sure you don't strip them. Getting the rear diff inserts in is a pain just because of lack of space, just work slowly and with patience. Torquing them accurately is not possible unless you have a torque wrench with a pass-through attachment, but the amount of torque needed for them is 51.6 ft/lbs, which is easily doable with hand pressure. Just make sure they're tight. The inserts feel good, feels like the rear of the car hooks up better now, response feels improved. Recommended for any 5th gen, this kit should be compatible with all models and is very inexpensive.

Carbotech AX6 Brake Pads: So far, I've only swapped my front brakes to the AX6 pads, but with my initial impressions of them, the rears will soon follow. Did the swap due to an upcoming track day I have this Saturday. I went with the AX6's on recommendation of several experienced members here, along with the fact they're rated to 1000 degrees while the HPS 5.0 are only rated to 550 degrees and would not stand up to track temps. So far, they're really good. They bite hard and linearly. They're a bit squeaky and really dusty so far, but I'm chalking that up to a combination of being brand new, and my shims being nasty and being in need of replacement (got a full new set for the front on order now). One thing I will note is that despite the high amount of dust so far, the dust from the AX6's washes off like nothing. Quick stop at the self-wash and blast with the rinse, and they're good. The dust from the Hawk's was insanely stubborn, and I used to have to use a brake dust releasing agent which would discolor my tires too. We'll see how they hold up on the track this weekend.

rObUOUW.jpg.51c0583752a607b9f7fec5f148ea92d4.jpg

UVNKJOm.jpg.19a1b35f73e4277576f0e70b9671081b.jpg

YEMIp1H.thumb.jpg.a7c3061611ce56a34df8ebec70bfb48b.jpg

7pcKtqP.jpg.956310f9f7dbccd06365fade00aea8da.jpg

IoYSbQF.thumb.jpg.6850c63844fe615b0eb0f334eade8a29.jpg

qYu6koA.thumb.jpg.66059bc1d0ca4ef2405468fdef1adf10.jpg

rxiyDMu.thumb.jpg.a73c8a989d5bfd67e2bb52e5e6e23449.jpg

UUtfu12.thumb.jpg.464723193243d6d0e66787436b8d6b38.jpg

XGtpMiM.thumb.jpg.190838fd8b222ab1c735822f853af6c4.jpg

UQeEtth.thumb.jpg.90abd8d683c40c477b5fb7117c05c806.jpg

Glad you're liking the Carbotechs so far. If you haven't read up on their site about their compounds you should. Unlike other pads, the Carbotechs are not corrosive to your wheel finish when the dust gets wet. I too have had the same experience with the dust from Carbotechs, very easy to wash off. In fact I don't use wheel cleaner anymore, just wash soap and a brush.

I didn't even go that far haha. They were absolutely coated in dust, and I just took it to the high-pressure bay at the local self-wash and 99% of it just blasted aware. Great stuff, I'd stick with them for that fact alone.

• 3 weeks later...

Footage and pictures from recent track day.

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-sJzXb1VVG0]Subaru Speed Expo 2018 - Legacy 3.6R - 1:21.064 [ABCC North Course] - YouTube[/ame]

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LahldCoUMMk]ABCC North Course - Legacy 3.6R (XRT Tune) vs STI vs Nismo 370Z [subaru Speed Expo 2018] - YouTube[/ame]

vtHtNK8.jpg

p4iLz3K.jpg

mqBSFCn.jpg

MDWXxkm.jpg

aT4gF0S.jpg

Recent acquisitions. Gotta find access to a lift soon to get these on.

Cusco Power Brace Front Member (687 492 FM)

Cusco Power Brace Rear Member (687 492 RM)

Cusco Power Brace Rear Side Member (687 492 RS)

xBg6EAz.jpg

Edited by Humble Rumble

• 3 months later...

Oof, almost 4 months to the day since I updated this. Haven't had many new projects, and money's been a bit tight towards the end of the year, so only a few new things to update about. Trying to get some more projects progressing for the spring.

Akebono ProACT Ceramic Brakes Pads

Front: ACT1078

Rear: ACT1124

Was still running around on the Carbotech AX6 front pads and Hawk HPS 5.0 rear pads after my track day in the fall, and I finally just had it with the dust and noise. I swapped over to Akebono ProACT ceramic pads for daily driving, and I've got to say, they're perfect. They're exactly what I want from a daily driving pad: clean, quiet, cheap, responsive, and I'm going to run them exclusively except for track events. Can't beat the price too, $80 roughly for the full set. Very pleased with them, and they've been great in the cold too.

Front Lip Winter Shenanigans

Back when we got our first big snow of the year, went out to have a bit of fun. Had my fun, was heading back home, and fell victim to a for-hire-snowplower that had cleared out a parking lot into the street and left a 10-inch high snow shelf across the entire road. Yanked my front lip out, thankfully cleanly without damage to the lip. We had a spurt of warmer weather a couple weekends back, so I took some time and drilled out the holes and re-mounted the lip with zinc bolts, washers, and nuts. Planning to re-do the ez-lip in the spring as it's served its purpose as a lip-protector well, but is looking pretty haggard. For $20 a roll, I can deal with it. Also gave the car a nice wash that day.

pBMu77E.jpg

PAn9wP3.jpg

5DCvtH4.jpg

JDM Legacy tS Aluminum Front Lower Control Arms

ST20202EZ000

ST20202EZ010

I've been needing to/planning to replace my front LCAs and bushings due to them starting to feel a bit geriatric and such. Stumbled upon a great deal on the super rare Legacy tS front arms on YAJ and snatched them up. They're in great condition and fully intact. Gave them a nice clean up and am planning on going with SuperPro bushings all around and the Whiteline Roll Center kit for the ball joint. Going to get these on at the same time I get my H&R springs swapped and my Cusco braces on.

Quick run down: these are the only lightweight or aluminum front LCA option for the 5th gen chassis. They only came factory on the JDM Legacy tS, of which only 600 were made, and despite being technically an STI part, are not purchasable through the STI catalogue since they were a factory item, not an STI option upgrade. Very happy I found a set.

VJ3iKX5.jpg

8C0uXVB.jpg

78k Oil Change & PCV Valve

Motul 5W40 X-Cess (Roughly 7 quarts)

OEM H6 Oil Filter (15208AA031)

PCV Valve (11810AA100)

My dealer-covered free oil changes ran out on my last change, so last night I tackled my first ever oil change. Borrowed my friends warm garage since it's single-digits here right now, and a bit of guidance from him since I've never actually done my own oil change before. Went with Motul 5W40 X-Cess and a factory oil filter. Fully confident in the process of changing my oil now, just need to get my own oil drain pan for the next one.

Also experienced some oil loss since my last change, had to add two quarts over the course of this batch. Unsure why exactly, but figured to change my PCV valve since the car is approaching 80k miles and it is cheap and super easy to change. We'll see if it helps, hoping it does. Seriously was super easy to change.

7537amq.jpg

You find all the best goodies. I hate you. :icon_mad::icon_bigg

I see you swapped out the AX6 for Akebono's, how were the AX6's after a while? Did the squeal settle down or did it never go away? And how is braking first thing in the morning or when it gets cold, does it need heating up to work?

Considering putting them on since the car is a weekend canyon carver and I find the OE pads that came with my STI Brembos start to overheat if you get really enthusiastic. Since it's not a daily I think I can live with some dust and squeal.

The AX6's performed spectacularly on the track, but were far, far too noisy and dusty for regular street usage. I never had them on when the weather got cold enough to require heating up the pads, but the dust and noise was just unbelievable. Like, I'd wash the car at the local self wash, and by the time I'd get home, the wheel would be covered in brake dust again. They're intended for auto-x/track, functional temp is 50F - 1000F.

To their credit, Carbotech's dust is very, very easy to spray away with water. Id'd try Carbotech's Bobcat 1521 pads instead, those are much better suited for spirited street driving imo.

Thanks for sharing your experience!

Yeah I was looking for more info and that is the consensus. Though the number of people who claim to daily AX6's makes me go back to look at them.

1521's is now what I am leaning towards at the moment and I see there are a lot of LGT guys who like it too.

• 2 months later...

Got my fenders rolled on all four corners. Had them done by a guy with a lot of experience and the proper tools. Kept everything well heated and was very meticulous and careful with the work. Very happy with the results, he even commented how big the lip on our rear fender is and took pictures of it himself for his own purposes. Plenty of room now for further lowering and possibly some wider wheels for track use.

Also replaced my hub rings as they were all nasty and one actually cracked.

xgFhtaJ.jpg

Before

PRf5EiF.jpg

After

BKq8dG4.jpg

rhWG7ra.jpg

• 2 months later...
Installed my $30 junkyard pull lip spoiler over this past weekend. I dremelled off the 4 embedded bolts and put small square of padding over the nubs, taped off and tucked away the brake light cable, and installed with 3M VHB tape. Since I didn't have to drill for anything, it's completely reversible and can be removed whenever I get around to the Blitzen. Did the line up completely by hand and eye, very pleased with how it came out, and really happy with how it wraps up the rear of the car and the install was fun. :)

jYG6M1s.thumb.jpg.380b7b1110f628f2f78e62e7616dfbe3.jpg

yStt7e6.thumb.jpg.6bc22429ba18e19eed3b21dd9fdecf31.jpg

oTPRpZj.thumb.jpg.b4b25538fcfdbd6eb7ca697a783de80e.jpg

A85s5ms.thumb.jpg.e4850309f2ea22383addf1e8cce13901.jpg

dgFy1of.thumb.jpg.b993703ce36dea309e1f5c8326eb1245.jpg

YJqmFK8.thumb.jpg.8e401f206436813471735cb13e133778.jpg

Uz1jXUa.thumb.jpg.beed84be2dc5c768bc5c028968634ae2.jpg

FgPiHxI.thumb.jpg.7c08baac3658f12cbc72fc9d5ec69220.jpg

68upm1C.thumb.jpg.a23c137142ca88ea13e428e2c333e8d5.jpg

oPAHTej.thumb.jpg.275ab8c12c7fd36f8dc9cb4d8d560f4e.jpg

• 2 months later...

Got some updates to catch up on, been a minute since I posted in here. Ticked over 90k miles recently.

K0RVtNL.jpg

Had my passenger side rear Goodridge SS brake line fail recently. Goodridge replaced it under warranty. The design looks slightly different than the old one.

G0QNiPF.thumb.jpg.76445d383822f732e18e031c7d4da392.jpg

wy0gfxd.thumb.jpg.1862b9fdb9adcdca5e18a9b1372de1c0.jpg

Kartboy Endlinks: Received my Carbotech track pads and Kartboy endlinks in the same day. Installed both front and rear Kartboy endlinks. Installs are easy and straight-forward, I love how beefy they are and how simple, I don't want to mess with adjustable endlinks. The hardest part of the install was having to cut off my factory rear endlinks. Should've done these long ago. Previously had 15+ STI Moogs on the front, the Kartboys are way better. As these endlinks are for the 08-14 STI, there are extra 1/2" spacers needed for the 10-14 Legacy application for the fronts only. These spacers allow the endlinks to line up dead vertical, but the caveat to this is that you need to get longer bolts. The kit comes with M10x1.5 70mm, you need 75mm or 80mm to get full thread engagement with the nuts. Last picture is after I swapped the bolts to longer ones. The rears installed exactly as shown in a video guide I followed for the STI install.

SzQ9Syq.thumb.jpg.06a25352d3bae60b6cd91fbac9e8c9f5.jpg

d3X9HCe.thumb.jpg.5955b0c2a1221db1a8d752d3d22a60c3.jpg

86qpUa2.thumb.jpg.2edac1af2d894a02441089a85ccb7d06.jpg

AiRBmI7.thumb.jpg.9f2abf4915f0ad4407b9a471e5670a29.jpg

0tJQgUh.thumb.jpg.e151303d62deb8637dacccb8cdb0ac96.jpg

6hAI883.thumb.jpg.6affb5cd8e48307608d4dd4b39f3e77b.jpg

4ug2rqY.thumb.jpg.09fcd771c46b7363892b6eb31e49cb4f.jpg

RmQj7sm.thumb.jpg.1a0cc4eb032ed0d39e2f00f5bf9ee30e.jpg

Oby2wEu.thumb.jpg.a6e63e1b9cc9219fe125ccbc20936639.jpg

Cusco Power Braces: Front Member & Rear Member: Installed some of my Cusco chassis braces recently as well. Got the Front Member plates and Rear Member bar installed. Installs were super easy and I'm mad I waited so long to do this. The rear bar adds a nice little stiffness to the back, but WOW the main event is these plates! They tie the front and rear of the chassis together at an additional point and my god does it make a noticeable difference. The entire car feels like way more of one cohesive unit from front to back, and cornering feels amazing with these. Shocked how big of a difference they've made. I'd wager that these should honestly almost be like the second stiffness upgrade a 5th gen should do after a rear sway bar, they're that impactive. To install these, just make sure to have the chassis well enough supported, a quick jack or any lift will be enough, but I'd recommend having all 4 wheels off the ground to do these, and just do one at a time. Torque specs for the plate bolts/nuts is 75 ft/lbs, while the rear bar is 120 ft/lbs. Still have the Rear Side Member bars and Rear Sway Bar braces to install yet.

dYnWY3s.thumb.jpg.8905abdf63aa9af9b8407e039ec22bbe.jpg

jnAMYwv.thumb.jpg.9315ea28bbf2c4008e435d3ab457a0fe.jpg

rAYcquo.thumb.jpg.87f2cb9e88ed77750d68a6397fbb8daa.jpg

SG3Fzhj.thumb.jpg.698b1670d864fc05b1a076bf8abb0cbe.jpg

TjeI8wG.thumb.jpg.43d16e49eb2458bddea3e25ab68b7cf4.jpg

where did you find the cusco braces? i went looking for them after you posted this in the "what did you do to your 5th gen today" thread but couldn't find them actually for sale.

I got lucky and happened on the full set (including the "rear side member" set that I haven't installed yet) used and in great condition for about $50 for the lot on Yahoo.jp auctions last year, nothing but cosmetic wear.

As for buying them, I've linked purchase links for all three brace sets in the first post of this thread. The Front Member and the Rear Member will be under the Suspension section, and the Rear Side Member will be under the Not Yet Installed section. As to whether or not they're still available, I can't say, but the links all still appear active. https://legacygt.com/forums/showpost.php?p=5772728&postcount=1

Thanks man!! I like to keep track of this stuff for my own forgetfulness and also to have the information in an easily findable spot to reference if myself or others ever need to in the future.

And if you think this thread is organized, just wait till I finally get around to building my body kit thread lmao.

Updated the first post. Moved some things around from the “Not Yet Installed” section to their appropriate areas. Added buy links for everything in the suspension section.

Car is currently at the shop getting pulled apart and all of the below goodies installed. Will update once installation is complete.

ySKhjCD.jpg

• 10 months later...
Been almost a full year since I updated this thread last. Done a ton of things since my last update. I updated a bunch of the master parts list in the first post, along with some updated pictures in the first and second post. I'll get to making individual posts about each of the changes in time, but for now, at least there's some more current representation of my car currently.

• 5 months later...
Well, I've been utter garbage about keeping this thread up to date for the last year and a half, but I have posted pretty much every thing on my IG and other various threads here, so I've got a wealth of pictures and technical info I can parse over to this thread, just been lazy up to this point. Gonna start updating this with new updates and mods, noting the dates they happened.

OCTOBER 19, 2019

So, per the last actual update post, I had the H&R Springs, JDM tS front control arms, and SuperPro bushings. They ATTEMPTED to install the Whiteline Roll Center kit, but could not get the ball joints to seat for some reason, so they got replace with Moog balljoints and did not have the roll center kit installed. Apparently, the Whiteline kit does not fit 5th gens (or at least didn't fit mine for some reason), so I'll eventually be going with the SuperPro roll center kit.

The H&R springs are REALLY nice, best pairing with the Koni Yellows in my opinion, much more sport sedan feel than the Eibachs. Unfortunately, I didn't do enough research, and despite the tS arms being really nice and giving some better handling feedback, they introduce a complicated problem, which I will now copy from my IG post on the issue here: https://www.instagram.com/p/B3xn1IrJuJW/

USDM 5th gen Legacys have a front track width of 61.6 in (1565mm), while the JDM Legacy tS that the aluminum arms came from have a front track width of 1545mm, so 10mm less on each side, 20mm less overall. Well, as it turns out, JDM tS arms + Koni/KYB/H&R + 19x8.5 ET45 + 245/40/19 is juuuuust enough to FOUL ON THE STRUT BY JUST A LITTLE BIT. My front camber is only set to -0.5deg, and I didn’t have any clearance issues when I was racing at SSE, but that was likely because the suspension was installed just a day or two beforehand. After everything settled, I found myself strut rubbin’. Any number of things could’ve avoided this: coilovers, higher offset wheels, slightly smaller tires. But I can’t afford any of those right now, so I got some bolt on 25mm spacers for the front to get me through till winter [2019-2020].

The end result of these control arm shenanigans is that my front fitment now requires 10mm more negative offset of spacing to be square with the rear at all time. Oh well, live and learn.

KXEio5W.png

6LjV12i.png

DlofEVS.png

56NJFUu.png

BkjeYpU.png

zGBcEKW.png

64o4i65.png

TndL7sb.png

intbgFQ.png

OCTOBER 21-23, 2019

A small handful of pictures from Subaru Speed Expo 2019, September 25, 2019. Ran at Autobahn Country Club South Course. Day was mostly wet so it was hard to get good laps, started to dry up near the end of the day, so got to put down a few good times.

KYTJgEN.jpg

aHownkD.jpg

CDiQUvn.jpg