LegacyGT.com

Official Lowered Outback Thread V2

GTEASER

One uses wheels with a lower offset that pushes the wheels closer to the edge of the car. Then one deals with the rubbing for what seems like forever, and keeps finding new places that rub.

But deals with it because it looks cool.

^^^This is exactly the reality. :spin:

There's no way you can fit a 55 profile tire under these things without a lot of camber. :( When I put my stock tires on for winter, I need to crank the rears out to 2.25 degrees of camber to keep the sidewalls from rubbing the fender liners. Up front isn't too bad, though. When I have my 245/45/17's on for summer I run -1.75 camber/0 toe in the front and -1.5 camber/+0.25 toe in the back. I've never rubbed with that setup.

I'm really just too afraid to do fender work, I would love to get a 17x8.5 wheel with a 45 offset and put 245/45's on that... but I'm not super into trimming my flares and cutting/rolling my fenders. My wagon sees to much water and salt for that.

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

Since my last post, I was able to get my Tein Flex Z suspension adjusted at IAG Performance in Maryland. They lowered the front of my car a lot more and raised the rear ride height just a little bit. They also redid my alignment with 1.25 camber all around. My friend Harrison took these pictures of my car for me.

lh36dzq.jpg

vyP9HD4.jpg

ASVp1CD.jpg

p5eRSsK.jpg

s8l1Acq.jpg

• Like 1

Since my last post, I was able to get my Tein Flex Z suspension adjusted at IAG Performance in Maryland. They lowered the front of my car a lot more and raised the rear ride height just a little bit. They also redid my alignment with 1.25 camber all around. My friend Harrison took these pictures of my car for me.

lh36dzq.jpg

vyP9HD4.jpg

ASVp1CD.jpg

p5eRSsK.jpg

s8l1Acq.jpg

Wow, that thing really is coming along nicely.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

MTBwrench's Stage 3 5EAT #racewagon 266awhp/255awtq @17.5psi, Tuned By Graham of Boosted Performance

Everyone knows what I taste like.

lh36dzq.jpg

vyP9HD4.jpg

ASVp1CD.jpg

p5eRSsK.jpg

s8l1Acq.jpg

I want you to sleep with my....

I mean I want you to mod my car.

Hey Housemusic1:

Thank you!

I’m running KW V3’s specific to Legacy and BR9 Legacy wagons.

Wheels: 19x9 +38 Work VSXX

Tires: BFGoodrich G-Force Comp 2 A/S 245 /45’s

@manik1770, what are you lowered on, and what are your tire & wheel specs? I'm sure I could probably dig through this site, and find it, but i'm lazy. I absolutely love your wagon!

Anyone know who makes the stiffest lowering springs for our cars? Also which is going to be firmer, bilstein hd's or konis?

With my swifts on spec b take offs compared to my coils the ride is back to boring in my opinion. So with the black friday sales coming I am thinking of getting the HDs or konis and new springs if there's a lowering option similar to my swifts but even stiffer still.

I think stiffest is one of the Tein springs - at least those are what I hear complained about the most.

I assume Koni's can be made stiffer because you can crank them down.

The stiff ride isn't aggravating your back?

I love that you went from "I want to do it once and do it right" do wherever the **** you are now with winter / summer set-ups and a billion iterations.

I too have heard that the Tein H-Tech's are extremely harsh. I can tell you that Konis w/ H&R "sport" springs aren't very "sporty". Cranked to full soft, its a fairly harsh ride on the surface streets. So much so, that wifey doesn't like riding in the car for more than she absolutely needs to. On the highway, they're amazing though. I just chalk it up to the fact that I'm driving a lowered car that was never intended to be lowered. Salt on the MN roads doesn't help either! :spin:

I think stiffest is one of the Tein springs - at least those are what I hear complained about the most.

I assume Koni's can be made stiffer because you can crank them down.

The stiff ride isn't aggravating your back?

I love that you went from "I want to do it once and do it right" do wherever the **** you are now with winter / summer set-ups and a billion iterations.

So up untill 3-4 months ago, the predominant sentiment on this site was that coilovers suck if you don't spend at least $3000+. Never having ridden on them I gave them a chance and they unlocked potential in the outback I never thought was possible. BUT, everyone says one winter in salt state and the adjustability is gone and the cold temps are harder on the internals. So hence the desire for a winter set up. As far as my back is concerned, the sti seats absorb a lot of the stuff that on legacy seats probably would be closer to uncomfortable. Or they dampen adequately the harsher bumps to the effect where the tightness of the suspension is way more fun than any discomfort that goes along with it, which I find to be little. I originally thought I was going to hate the coils and just wanted to try them out. I was not expecting them to be anything other than stanz bro ride quality. The opposite was true and they put me closer to the road and make the car feel far more controllable like a ski or snowboard, basically I feel like I can carve the road.

As far as a winter set up goes swapping swifts for pinks cost me nothing and improved handling. But I still feel like as long as there is any lift or dive its draining the sense of power from the vehicle. Its just feels half as fun as it did on coil and the effect is what once was fun is now kinda boring. I don't want to go lower for winter then I am now, but I do want to get stiffer. I am thinking I'll get black friday koni's and cannibalize my bilsteins. Ideally I'd like a spring strut combo that handles liftt and dive like a coilover. I don't really want to have a separate winter coilover, that just seems like a bad idea. I suppose I could change the whole winter identity and go battle wagon. That would line up more with my spring time aspirations for going back country hiking out west, but I am keeping my stock kybs for that purpose. The need for lifted suspension is a 3 weeks out of the year type thing and I can swap easily enough for those periods.

I too have heard that the Tein H-Tech's are extremely harsh. I can tell you that Konis w/ H&R "sport" springs aren't very "sporty". Cranked to full soft, its a fairly harsh ride on the surface streets. So much so, that wifey doesn't like riding in the car for more than she absolutely needs to. On the highway, they're amazing though. I just chalk it up to the fact that I'm driving a lowered car that was never intended to be lowered. Salt on the MN roads doesn't help either! :spin:

I should buy you some beer, coffee, spliff for a ride sometime. I want to feel the h6 anyway. :)

I recently tried out some koni's and epics, and it though I loved the reduced travel it was still pretty plush to me. The owner said it set to middle so theres hope.

Edited by xtea

I should buy you some beer, coffee, spliff for a ride sometime. I want to feel the h6 anyway. :)

I recently tried out some koni's and epics, and it though I loved the reduced travel it was still pretty plush to me. The owner said it set to middle so theres hope.

I'm available almost anytime. I think I spotted you on University in Fridley, a while back. I was headed in the opposite direction, towards 694.

G'day guys,

Wanna say thanks to anybody and everybody on this forum who unknowingly helped me lower my outback. Couldn't have done it without all the info posted throughout this thread.

The setup is liberty/legacy shocks with kings lowering springs and some D.I.Y 3/4 Inch saggy bum spacers (had to weld on some extended studs to the top hats).

35692166_04Outback.thumb.jpg.e7d30ce64ef6e695cec281823d6f23a7.jpg

Edited by ross1221

• 3 weeks later...

Hey peeps. believe it or not, i have read both V1 and V2 over the last couple days. so much awesome info here, but a lot of info to comb through! i think i have a good idea of what needs to be done, just need some confirmation.

I've got a 05 red 5AT OBXT. here is the list:

BC racing coilovers(OB most likely)

megan racing rear rear and rear front links (to help with camber)

LGT bumbstops(or do i need them on coilovers?)

245/45/28 on 18x8 with 45mm offset(will it rub? is there a better option? not trying to roll if possible)

plan is to lower it a inch or so lower than LGT height. my ultimate plan is a solid handling DD sportwagon more than anything else, so is there something else i should consider? new swaybars and endlinks? is removing the body spacers necessary? do i need new links for the front as well or just the back?

thanks again for all the info here. im pretty sure im on the right track, but this is my first time lowering a car, and i want to make sure i do it right!:):)

Edited by unicorn_violence