LegacyGT.com

Engine swap questions..

how much do you love your car?

how much $$$ are you willing to drop into your car?

can you do work your self or are you paying someone to do it for you?

do you plan on keeping the car for a long time?

do you have to deal with state inspections or emissions?

once you have answered these questions, then decide what you want to do...

used engine will drop in and will cost the least amount of $$$.

swap can cost you well over double what the car is worth. and may or may not be legal in your state.

if you cant do the work yourself, it either may not be worth the $$$

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

I'm not sure what you're looking to spend but if you go to eBay and type "2003 Subaru Legacy engine" you will see a lot of 2.0 engine listed as a replacement for the 2.5. I believe the JDM 2.0 is a direct swap if you don't have EGR. They are typically listed at around $700-$900 and come complete with usually less than 50,000 miles. While a 2.5 with 180,000 miles goes for nearly $2,500. When mine goes, I'm buying the 2.0 for sure! Not sure why a person wouldn't and if I'm not mistaken they're rated at 155hp factory were ours is rated at 165. I think that's a more than fair trade for the savings!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't swap a 2.0 its has 135HP if your lucky. The car will be a dog. Enginesus.com has FULLY rebuilt long blocks for 1700$ I've seen one make 175hp at the crank and they are very high quality

If you can rebuilt your engine yourself to that it will cost alot less. OEM pistons,bearing,gaskets ect....run less than 1000$

pistons >$300, King bearings <$200, master gasket kit from subaru >$300, piston rings >$250, block machined >$220, Machined rebuilt heads >500.

$1770

that longblock is looking pretty good right about now.

good info above,

i especially like the questions about current and future use.

one other question,

are you sure it is a rod knock.?

my 00 had a bad rod bearing at 85k miles.

so i know it can happen.

just don't misdiagnose it.

i would swap in another 00 - 04 engine. (03 - 04 would be best)

look here:

http://www.car-part.com

sort by zip code,

shipping is expensive.

if its just the bottom end. you can get a short block from Subaru for $2000.

Or if you ever want to turbo, you can get a STI short block brand new from subaru for $1900 shipped.

i would not try to rebuild a subaru engine yourself. unless you have a machine shop local that does lots of subaru work... and you have built many engine and have all the special tools. i have seen to many engine builders that cant make rebuilt engines last.

and in the end its going to cost you more...

Just my $0.02

-=Suberdave=-

http://www.suberdave.com

Just another thought on that 2.0. They have them listed on the same site that Rumble shared, it says in the title 155HP. They're $995 for a complete engine with low mileage. Where the 2.5 is listed for $1695, and that's just for the rebuilt short block and heads.

I'm not doubting anyones knowledge, but someone mentioned that the 2.0 only has 135hp, realistically that figure is only 30hp less than the 2.5 but that's not my concern. The site lists the 2.0 as having 155 hp and the 2.5 as having 165 hp. Is the site wrong? Does it have the 2.5 listed correctly but the 2.0 listed wrong?

Anyhow, to me it seems to be a waste of money to pay $1700 for just a block and heads, when you can pay $1000 for a ready to drop in motor with only 40,000 miles on it. Besides I'm sure after all these years and miles. Just my opinion.

• 3 weeks later...
good info above,

i especially like the questions about current and future use.

one other question,

are you sure it is a rod knock.?

my 00 had a bad rod bearing at 85k miles.

so i know it can happen.

just don't misdiagnose it.

i would swap in another 00 - 04 engine. (03 - 04 would be best)

look here:

http://www.car-part.com

sort by zip code,

shipping is expensive.

Plug and play I would assume. Most likely going to do a cheap swap.

Archived