LegacyGT.com

s2baru's "InFrontAutomotive" built, stage3+ 335hp/412tq

• Replies 350
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

S2baru..

maybe u know whats wrong with my legacy..

I'm having lagged acceleration.. from dead stop and when i accel.. its really a slow start.. i went to the dealer and i had my O2 sensor replaced as there was engine warning indicator.. even after the replacement of O2 sensors.. I'm still having a lagged acceleration..

Do u or anyone know whats wrong? even the dealer has no idea.. thanks

Parts ordered up today !!!!!!

Manley TT rods, JE pistons, King bearings, FX300 clutch , JSC stage 1 cams, beehive springs/TI retainers, +1mm Manley Extreme duty valves, arp head studs, 12mm jdm oil pump, and a timing belt kit.

Planning on making some pipes and intake for this thing too. Theyre in touch with two shops RE upgrading the stock turbo... I'm hoping we can fit an HTA71 wheel in it

Parts ordered up today !!!!!!

Manley TT rods, JE pistons, King bearings, FX300 clutch , JSC stage 1 cams, beehive springs/TI retainers, +1mm Manley Extreme duty valves, arp head studs, 12mm jdm oil pump, and a timing belt kit.

Planning on making some pipes and intake for this thing too. Theyre in touch with two shops RE upgrading the stock turbo... I'm hoping we can fit an HTA71 wheel in it

pm JmP6889928, he has a source for making billet wheels of any size you want.

Update:

Waiting for the valve spring set and then it goes off to the machine shop. JohnJohn is going to put a mild porting on everything too, like a gasket match process. The12mm oil pump is there here and is going to blueprint, and after he gets the bottom end back from balancing and polishing itll be good to assemble it. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Update*

Got a message today from JohnJohn the bottom end is going to be Finished today and will have it back to the shop by Tuesday. The wrong exhaust valves were order so they'll be in the next few days then everything is going back in and will be complete by the end of the month.

Here's roughly the breakdown of the convo...

discovered some bad news... the cylinder that failed was run a little too long. It has three wear spots that if smoothed out would open the cylinder .0015" larger than the other three... these others have been honed out .0005 to .0008" over stock to restore cross hatch marks. Cylinder 3 is too worn and would have to be honed to .002 to .0025 over stock to be smooth and thats not gunna work in this situation. So id suggest a new block. I am sorry. I can get a brand new stock one in the morning or we can go for something upgraded... We can also still ave this block by going with oversized pistons and additional machine work but will add a couple more weeks. The more machine route is the less expensive of the options.

That was from tuesday in a nutshell.....then here's a breakdown of yesterday

About $280 into your block now, add another $580 to it for oversizing, if the main is ok, which it should be. a new block is $1100. an upgraded block like a sleeved job would be round $2200 altogether, and an outfront closed deck block made from a new oem block is $1950. If you want to keep the stock block Im responsible for the $280 we have into it. or you can surrender it to me as a core for oversizing or sleeving and ill pay the machine shop for that work. so it could only be about $400 more to just get a new block... and roughly $1200 more will get you a bad ass brand new closed deck block.

So...

Option one: oversize... 280+580=860

Option two: new oem 1100

Option three: new closed deck 1950

Option four: sleeved 280+1370+520=2200

keep your block for option two or three is 280.

So then this morning ordered a new block from OutfrontMotorsports. Should be at their shop shortly for reassembly. Probably should have don't this from the get go but long term I feel this is going to be better for the goals I want to acheive.

Here's roughly the breakdown of the convo...

discovered some bad news... the cylinder that failed was run a little too long. It has three wear spots that if smoothed out would open the cylinder .0015" larger than the other three... these others have been honed out .0005 to .0008" over stock to restore cross hatch marks. Cylinder 3 is too worn and would have to be honed to .002 to .0025 over stock to be smooth and thats not gunna work in this situation. So id suggest a new block. I am sorry. I can get a brand new stock one in the morning or we can go for something upgraded... We can also still ave this block by going with oversized pistons and additional machine work but will add a couple more weeks. The more machine route is the less expensive of the options.

That was from tuesday in a nutshell.....then here's a breakdown of yesterday

About $280 into your block now, add another $580 to it for oversizing, if the main is ok, which it should be. a new block is $1100. an upgraded block like a sleeved job would be round $2200 altogether, and an outfront closed deck block made from a new oem block is $1950. If you want to keep the stock block Im responsible for the $280 we have into it. or you can surrender it to me as a core for oversizing or sleeving and ill pay the machine shop for that work. so it could only be about $400 more to just get a new block... and roughly $1200 more will get you a bad ass brand new closed deck block.

So...

Option one: oversize... 280+580=860

Option two: new oem 1100

Option three: new closed deck 1950

Option four: sleeved 280+1370+520=2200

keep your block for option two or three is 280.

So then this morning ordered a new block from OutfrontMotorsports. Should be at their shop shortly for reassembly. Probably should have don't this from the get go but long term I feel this is going to be better for the goals I want to acheive.

I have an outfront motorsports block. Figure in machine work when its' delivered to John's place. Mine (which came straight from Outfront) seized in 15 minutes due to improper clearances in the cylinder. Had to be re-machined when it was discovered the tolerances were set for a piston very little clearance (basically you get 5 minutes run-time). :spin:

Interesting scenario, assuming john helped with that???

I'd hope John would have that in the back of his mind and recheck this once it arrives.

I bought the shortblock over John's objections. When it seized I wrote him a blank check to make it never seize again. YMMV.

It was my assumption in buying a "built" SB that all the engineering/machining would be already done. I know now that to be untrue with regards Outfront. Again, YMMV.

If you have any concerns about the quality of SB you are getting, I would defer to your builder to suggest a solution that matches your build's requirements.

We have been seeing amazing results from the closed decks coming from Outfront here in Chicago Like I told you on Facebook I did sleeved and wish I did closed.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk