LegacyGT.com

5EAT Ask your Questions!?!

You can shift with the steering wheel or the shifter.

True, they operate the same if the shifter is in S position. If the shifter is in D position and you use a button to shift, it will go back to D mode if you release the gas pedal then press it again (or something close to that).

• 2 weeks later...
you don't send the tranny to him, lol. you send the valve body and he sends it back -or- you pay upfront and he sends you one already modded, once you send your original to him he refunds you almost half.

LOL! Thanks haha where's this "click to buy here" thread at

This time last year I was hearing spring time. Just want an honest answer. Is it even being worked on? What is the actual progress on it? Not trying to be a bother, was just really excited for this years ago. My future upgrades have been on hold for a long time.

Anyone having issues with the transmission cooler lines leaking it appears to only be the lines on one side at every nipple it is like there is to much pressure... I did replace the filter just incase with no luck. I need to look again maybe there is a kink around the rad fan area where to hoses are run.

With the Tru-Cool 4454 having a built in bypass, should a stand alone thermostat still be used?

This is arguable.

What the community has seen is that the built-in bypass does not work as well as thought for colder climates (where stuff actually freezes over) and looks like it has every potential to overcool the fluid (from the perspective that ideal temp is between 160-180*F).

It depends on where you live and how you drive and what temp your tranny fluid settles at.

Mine overcools since it doesn't seem to reach 160*F but it drives just fine as it is.

This time last year I was hearing spring time. Just want an honest answer. Is it even being worked on? What is the actual progress on it? Not trying to be a bother, was just really excited for this years ago. My future upgrades have been on hold for a long time.

Really? You have waited this long to upgrade your car just because of this? Why not just save ~$30-40 per week to go towards a new tranny and upgrade your car now.

My car is running ~330hp at the wheels (probably more now) on E85 and tranny has held up fine for a couple of months, was running close to 300 before that for a couple of months. Basically I've been running close to a 20G turbo for 4 months and tranny is still fine, this has included a track day and about 20 runs at the drags. I've got money set aside so if anything goes boom I can afford to fix it. This is the risk we run when modifying cars. There is a risk my tranny might go, but there is also a risk my engine might go eventually as well.

For now I have bought frank_ster's bronze bushings, might look at doing valve body mods in the future but next I want to upgrade the stall converter

For now I have bought frank_ster's bronze bushings, might look at doing valve body mods in the future but next I want to upgrade the stall converter

The bushing are a good idea, especially if you intend to take advantage of the stock converter's 3,100 to 3,500 RPM stall on those drag launches. No need for any converter upgrades in terms of the stall speed on an LGT 5EAT. Might as well do the trans upgrades instead of bothering with the converter.

Agreed I could set up a tranny fund but I prefer to beef things up prior to adding too much power reducing the risk of major $$$ breaks later. The cost or rebuilding the tranny would be much more than upgrading the transmission first (were the upgrades available). Congrats on your tranny holding up with that kind of power, thats pretty awesome. But it certainly doesn't seem to be the norm. Plenty of folks having problems at a basic stage 2.

I have current plans of a stronger stage 2 setup but for me a bigger turbo will be waiting.

Agreed I could set up a tranny fund but I prefer to beef things up prior to adding too much power reducing the risk of major $$$ breaks later. The cost or rebuilding the tranny would be much more than upgrading the transmission first (were the upgrades available). Congrats on your tranny holding up with that kind of power, thats pretty awesome. But it certainly doesn't seem to be the norm. Plenty of folks having problems at a basic stage 2.

I have current plans of a stronger stage 2 setup but for me a bigger turbo will be waiting.

Yeh mine's been at least at stage 2 since May 2011! So that's over a year and a half and about 35,000kms (not sure how many miles that is).

But yeh point taken, I just don't like to wait for things ;)

Ok so I'm a proud new owner of an 08 lgt. I have read and read and read and I'm still not confident in doing a stage 2 upgrade. I'm scared to death I'm gonna blow a tranny and it seems that for an 08 I have two options.

1) go stage 2 and start going back to church to pray nothing happens

2) stay stock and continue to wish I had more power.

Is that about right?

• Moderators

I've been running stage 2 with a custom tune and a bullet-proofed TMIC for a while now, no issues. Just get a good tune and the tuner should know how to taper boost properly for easy shifting on the 5EAT.

Nothing is gauranteed, but with fresh fluid and a good tune general experience indicates that you really shouldn't have any issues.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

Thanks guys. I've already been in contact with mike at tuning alliance. I'm on cape cod and its only a few hours drive to the shop so I will be driving it up to have it dyno tuned. I think I'll have enough cash for everything in the next couple of months to do a full stage 2. Hope all goes well.

Ok so I'm a proud new owner of an 08 lgt. I have read and read and read and I'm still not confident in doing a stage 2 upgrade. I'm scared to death I'm gonna blow a tranny and it seems that for an 08 I have two options.

1) go stage 2 and start going back to church to pray nothing happens

2) stay stock and continue to wish I had more power.

Is that about right?

Stage 3 08 LGT 5eat here... 290s whp/tq for almost a year, tranny is holding up great. I have the truCool 454 installed, and I Do Flush my ATF pretty regularly.

PRAYYYYING for the 08 VB mod to be ready SOON so I can go for a more aggressive tune with e85... >.<