LegacyGT.com

Spec-B mod

I have an 08 Spec B with 79 kmi that's completely stock. I am finally getting around to modifying it as I want a more spirited drive. Local shop quoted me for downpipe and a tune, but I want to go a bit beyond that. So what have other fourth gen drivers found the best first upgrades, what would you add to this list?

few grand maybe a bit more. I looked at the 'stages' again, don't want to go past OEM+

was hoping someone had a good pro con versus DP vs UP&DP

TGV delete and intake changes (post MAF, turbo inlet) worth it?

etc

Up pipe isn't worth it since you've already got a catless one. TGV deletes and intake changes aren't really worth it unless you're getting into bigger changes. Sounds like the standard downpipe, OTS tune and upgraded tires, pads and fluids are your best choices. Don't forget about the driver mod.

Make sure regular maintenance is done first before modifying. Some stuff you do as regular maintenance can be upgraded, I.E. if your sway bar endlinks are bad, put some Kartboy ones on there, or something like that.

A catted downpipe + tune is the best for waking up these cars IMO. I have TGV deletes and there is some margin of error during install (sensors you can bonk with your wrench and what have you) and only add about 5 horsepower. Intake I would leave alone as the stock intake on these cars is pretty good.

Maintenance first, when were your plugs last changed?

Cabin air filter? probably forgot about that... not necessarily performance but another thing to change and keep your car in great shape and not stinky.

As stated above, downpipe, get a catted one, catless you won't notice a difference and it's better for everyone.

Lots of members say and I agree with them, it's all in the tune. Get an accessport and speak with Dave from Cryotune Performance, even just a simple tune from him your car will run better, have more power, and of all things get better mileage!

08 Spec B, insta: @08_spec_b, 10 SH Forester insta: @shfozzy

Here is Dave's site, https://www.cryotuneperformance.com/

Other then my Tuner, Mike, Tuningalliance@gmail.com Dave is the only other Turner I recommend.

Don't change your stock intake as it's good till way above your HP goals.

Keep asking questions here before you spend your money. We won't let you do something...wasteful.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Thanks for the feedback. Most maintenance is all up to date, I have had the car for awhile and maintained well as far as I know. (I did not forget about the cabin filter, but it is due for a change lol) Thats good to know about the intake. The MN Subaru forum raves about JM auto in the twin cities which I live by, figured I would go there for dyno

I think the catless down/mid pipe feels much less sluggish when compared to an OEM catted down/mid pipe assembly. Sorry Captain Planet. Other mods done on my 07 Spec.B include a Mishimoto all aluminum radiator, bigger GrimmSpeed intercooler, Cobb AP, intake and filter, upgraded LCA bushings, sway bars and bushings, rotors, pads, back-up camera, filmed tail/headlights, and LEDs all around. Everything else is cosmetic. Tint, front center license plate delete, GrimmSpeed front plate relocation kit

I'm about to go through upgrading my ball joints, swaybar linkages, and possibly go through the tie rods just for fun since I'm not sure the last time they were changed out. Also putting some funds aside to eventually black out the interior as I hate the light colored roof and pillars. Still need to do an air oil separator, too.

If you have a few grand to spend, and want to get a good amount more kick out of it, you might as well look at vf52 turbo upgrade, with hi flow dp, larger intercooler and tune.

Group N trans mount is a cheap/easy upgrade.

I would think if your not looking for more than OEM+:

* Downpipe + Tune (Cobb AP needed here)

* Grimspeed Top Mount I/C

* Brake Upgrades are always a good idea after added power

* Tire Upgrade / Wheels

* Suspension - Sway Bars / Koni Yellow Shocks to start

* Suspension (next) - Upgraded Bushings + Lowering Springs

* Exhaust - more for sound - but it's always nice to hear the car

That's likely way more than you'll have $$ for but that's the order I would think it through.....:p

A great OEM+ route for the least investment that maximizes your return on fun would be a DP (Cobb, Grimmspeed, etc), an Accessport running their off the shelf stage 2 tune, and a bigger rear sway bar, (with upgraded bar mounts from someone like AVO). A rear sway will really tighten up the handling in these cars especially once your making more power. If you want to go one rung farther up the ladder, Replace the VF46 turbo with the VF52 (It’s a direct swap in) and have the car tuned for it. Instead of running an off the shelf map your tuner will load a custom map on your accessport. You’ll make more power with the VF 52, as it’s just a bit bigger. The key is a good tune so it’s imperative if you go this route to use a good tuner. Perhaps some local forum members can suggest one in MN. Grimmspeed is in Minneapolis, could call them for a suggestion as well. For your goals NO, you don’t need an intake, upgraded fueling,TGV delete, a bigger Intercooler, or a cat back exhaust. That said, fueling, a bigger intercooler, and an exhaust will all help to maximize the mods you just did but they are not necessary to reliably run and enjoy stage 2. Don’t believe the hype you don’t need a new intake until your farther up the ladder :). Left over cash? Put on stainless brakes lines and swap in a bit more aggressive pads. While they don’t have the bling factor, the OEM brakes are quite good for a daily driver. As time and funds allow it’s good to tighten up bushings and mounts as the car is over 10 years old: group N tranny mount, shifter bushings, Whiteline front control arm bushings, etc etc. Edited by shralp

You need a good 4k to spend and you will be happy :lol:. You should go over OEM+, with proper maintenance and not trying to show off, the cars last very long. Also get away from OTS tune. Go with what people are recommending on here.

I listened and now my car is getting built as we speak. I thank all that help me cause the shop said I had all most all my parts but I was missing a few.

Also these cars are so under rated. People want WRX/STI, but they never see a nice sleek LGT/SpecB running them down or beating them.

• 1 month later...