LegacyGT.com

Sticky clutch pedal and sometimes won't go into gear

Hey all,

I recently got my clutch master cylinder hose replaced since it was leaking. I've had my car back for a couple days now and I've noticed that if I cold start the car in neutral, it will refuse to go into any gear, and I have to shut it off to get it into gear. When the car is off, I am able to easily shift into any gear, as before. Once it's in gear and started up, it's also difficult to switch into other gears.

The clutch pedal also seems to stick at around the top of the engagement point and I sometimes need to nudge it with my foot to have it release fully. The pedal travel before the engagement point has also become very soft and the engagement point now feels very noticeable, whereas before the pedal travel felt pretty linear throughout.

Both problems seem to go away once the car is fully warmed up.

Any idea what is going on? Perhaps the shop didn't bleed the system properly? Or maybe I have a bad throwout bearing? Really hope not...

Thanks

Edited by derache123

Sounds like it needs to be bled properly. Had an identical experience with a manual Cruze at work after a clutch replacement and the problem went away with a bleed. Literally exactly the same symptoms you describe. Car needed a minute or so of driving before being happy to go into any gear. If you cold started the car, good luck getting it into first.

I saw on some impreza forums that something like this could also be caused by gear oil that's too light? I haven't changed it recently though so I don't see how that would cause it. Hopefully it just needs to be properly bled again.