LegacyGT.com

7th Generation Opinion

So I tested the latest Legacy XT. I have a 2018 3.6r.

I liked the new engine. I like the feel of how the turbo kicks in. Good to see the turbo model back. I think the car is a little quieter but the 3.6r was already pretty quiet. On the highway, the XT was really good. The turns are more defined on the XT although these recent legacies aren't known for their handling. It's a big car. I feel the suspension improvement.

While the overall XT interior is better than the 3.6r, I prefer the tactile control buttons on the media player. I also like the menus on the older 3.6r.

The exterior is better on the 3.6r. I don't like the new front grille. The front lights on the 3.6r is also better. The rear is also not as appealing on the XT. I'm not digging the rear lights on the XT models too. The wheels on the 3.6r look better.

I think everything was a pretty good upgrade except that exterior but not good enough for me to trade for the latest and greatest. Your thoughts on the latest legacy?

When I went and bought my daughter the Impreza I looked at the Legacy XT as a possible car when I'm ready and I just didn't like it. I liked the Outback or Crosstrek better. I'm waiting to test drive the BRZ when the next model comes out. I don't know why I keep looking at bigger cars since my daughter drives herself now and it's just me and my younger son and dog. I don't really need the room. If we do family trips, we will use the Impreza. I'm pretty much sticking to the 2+2 cars now.

The backseat is for storage. lol

I really do like the new Legacy XT. In my opinion it looks a lot better than my 2017 Legacy. The HVAC controls should definitely be buttons on the XT. I work at the Subaru factory where these Legacy are made, so I get to see and drive them everyday. They really have grown on me.

It's nice they brought the Turbo back but wish they would have matched it to a Manual Transmission.. The CVT Can't handle much power and if I know some people down the road will try to get big power and end up Blowing the CVT.. My 15' Legacy 3.6r was my First CVT and I have mixed feelings about it.. Plus it looks like they have intregrated the Heater Controls in the huge Flat Screen controls it might be hard to uograde to an aftermarket stereo..

Sent from my SM-G988U using Tapatalk

I'm waiting to test drive the BRZ when the next model comes out.

Let me know your thoughts on that eventual test drive. In my case, the heart is saying "go for it" but the head is saying "don't be an idiot." I think I could live with the lack of space ... but I'd definitely struggle with excessive NVH.

So I tested the latest Legacy XT. I have a 2018 3.6r.

I liked the new engine. I like the feel of how the turbo kicks in. Good to see the turbo model back. I think the car is a little quieter but the 3.6r was already pretty quiet. On the highway, the XT was really good. The turns are more defined on the XT although these recent legacies aren't known for their handling. It's a big car. I feel the suspension improvement.

While the overall XT interior is better than the 3.6r, I prefer the tactile control buttons on the media player. I also like the menus on the older 3.6r.

The exterior is better on the 3.6r. I don't like the new front grille. The front lights on the 3.6r is also better. The rear is also not as appealing on the XT. I'm not digging the rear lights on the XT models too. The wheels on the 3.6r look better.

I think everything was a pretty good upgrade except that exterior but not good enough for me to trade for the latest and greatest. Your thoughts on the latest legacy?

I totally agree, I can't stand the rear of the new Legacy XT. That turned me off when they originally unveiled it and then seeing it up close at the dealer, didn't change my mind. It's interesting to see how many 6th gen'rs have upgraded to the latest model. If I knew how to drive a manual, I'd get a 6th gen 3.6r or the new Outback XT as my next car.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

If I knew how to drive a manual, I'd get a 6th gen 3.6r or the new Outback XT as my next car.

Huh? For the Gen 6 Legacy a manual transmission is only available in Canada, only available with the normally-aspirated 2.5 engine, and only in base trim. I don't know about Gen 7.

Edited by ammcinnis

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

I wasn't aware manuals were available for these cars...what market are you in?
Sorry I think you misunderstood me, I was referring to the 6th gen 2016-2019 legacy 3.6r models. We still have them here in the US if you can find one. They stopped making the 3.6r once Subaru switched the Legacy over to the new global platform for 2020.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Edited by Kay2DaA

^^^ With enough time and money, anything is possible, but such a vehicle would probably be ineligible for registration in the U.S. ... since the manual transmission version was never EPA emissions qualified here.

"If you don't know where you're going, any road will take you there." ~ The Cheshire Cat (Alice in Wonderland)

spacer.png

The legacy xt is straight up ugly.

My dad bought the Outback onyx Xt and it looks 100x better.

The designers dropped the ball, especially the rear end, it looks so damn bland...even Toyota’s these days look way more aggressive and sporty looking than Subaru. It seems like the roles have been reversed.