LegacyGT.com

Q300 vs hks silent hi power

Hello everyone,

I current have a invidia q300 with a cobb catted dp and invidia catted up. I like the sound and all, but I have been thinking about selling it and buying another cbe to get a deeper rumble. I've listened to many sound clips but I feel like they don't really do the cbes justice. Does any one have experience with both the q300 and the hks silent hi power? Is the hks any deeper then the q300? What about volume levels?

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have the hks silent hi-power and I will be doing a Dp in a week or so then I will post a sound clip....it's pretty mellow right now...I would say it's totally opposite for the quad tip sound as my cuz has

Sent from my 0PJA2 using Tapatalk

I think my new Q300 is to loud for everyday driving and the long drive to VT during the winter. I'll be putting a muffler under the car soon. The sound is nice deep but not to deep.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have the hks silent hi-power and I will be doing a Dp in a week or so then I will post a sound clip....it's pretty mellow right now...I would say it's totally opposite for the quad tip sound as my cuz has

Damn, those look frickin sick black! What do you mean opposite of the invidia? I'm mostly concerned with how deep they are in comparison to the q300

Btw, I digg the disk golf sticker

It's so hard to put into words but I will try.... invidia (to me) has a higher pitch that sounds like marbles in the muffler with lots of pops and crackles(with a invidia catted dp)....HKS (With stock dp) is a even mellow low tone no cracks or pops.....No drone on HW thanks to a great resonator....

Ty for comment on the black! I didn't want the attention of all Chrome( even though it does look pretty good)....Plus it's all powder coat so I won't get any rust... Gonna do the same to my Dp...

Got back in the wagon today for the first time since Thursday morning, I thought the Q300 has a nice deep tone.

I've only had it on a total of 5 driving days, but I know its to loud for winter drives to VT every weekend.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

It's so hard to put into words but I will try.... invidia (to me) has a higher pitch that sounds like marbles in the muffler with lots of pops and crackles(with a invidia catted dp)....HKS (With stock dp) is a even mellow low tone no cracks or pops.....No drone on HW thanks to a great resonator....

Ty for comment on the black! I didn't want the attention of all Chrome( even though it does look pretty good)....Plus it's all powder coat so I won't get any rust... Gonna do the same to my Dp...

I see.. that's a good description of the invidia. Definitely keep me updated on how the sound changes once you put in the dp.

Got back in the wagon today for the first time since Thursday morning, I thought the Q300 has a nice deep tone.

I've only had it on a total of 5 driving days, but I know its to loud for winter drives to VT every weekend.

I totally agree the invidia has a great tone, I'm just looking for something a little deeper. Maybe I just have my expectations too high since the best real world comparison I have is my buddies 04 wrx with an invidia N1. I know I can't get that deep due to the whole single exhaust vs dual exhaust, but I d like to get as close as I can without becoming obnoxiously loud.

Q300 has a great deep tone in my opinion but at times it has a bit of a drone and I wish it was a little quieter. @ WOT it really screams and is a bit obnoxious. Cruising through tunnels/narrow streets with the windows down puts a smile on my face every time, though. Those quad tips create a lot of reverb. It's mated to a CNT catted DP.

Thanks for the feedback!

Headers would be cool but they are too far down my parts list for me to think about right now.

Hmm.. does anyone know if there is any significant difference in sound or tone between one brand of catted down pipe and another brand on the q300? I have a cobb catted dp.

I've thought about adding another resinator. If I went that rout, I would want to get a resonator welded in to a custom pipe that would replace an existing pipe in the line. I don't want to decrease the value of my q300, it only has a couple thousand miles on it.

Marvick08GT, what resinator did you add and where is it in the exhaust line?

I added an invidia resonator from a q300 (removed because they wanted it louder..) I had it welded in right after the resonator that came with my q300. Took away all the drone etc, still sounds incredible WOT!

Your talking about a second resinator right? Where did it come from? I can't find a stand alone invidia resonator anywhere.

any resonator will work...doesn't have to be invidia...You should be able to find them but here is a link...https://www.google.com/shopping/product/8947645646001957729?q=subaru+aftermarket+exhaust+resonator&spell=1&biw=1276&bih=636&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj3pJyP-anVAhWFXD4KHS3MDfkQ8wII0AIwAw

I added a second invidia resonator that was removed because somebody wanted it louder... Now its perfect. Invidia catted down and q300 with 2 resonators.

Can you post a picture? I just want to see where you placed the second resonator.

Thanks

Just some pics...really like the look in comparison to invidia9c6729e3b84a78fd3c496390815d58f7.jpg06f0e1e099a4420697807f5872686624.jpg

What size are those tips? Looking at getting an exhaust system and have no frame of reference for the sizes

I added an invidia resonator from a q300 (removed because they wanted it louder..) I had it welded in right after the resonator that came with my q300. Took away all the drone etc, still sounds incredible WOT!

Would you say the sound is any deeper now or just quieter?

I bet they look SICK on a wagon! Can i get a PIC of your wagon??? And thanks for the reply...

Here is one, it's not easy getting a decent picture of them as they aren't really sticking out like some others. These are wagon fitment, and while people say they are tucked up a bit, they are basically at the same place that the stock exhaust is.

IMG_2878.thumb.JPG.c26163c8101fac8a60418e910029b94e.JPG

Archived