LegacyGT.com

Steering Wheel Shake/PS Squeal

Hey ladies and gents... So quick little situation, see what some may be able to make of it?

I'd like to prefix that I'm marginally familiar with belt squeal issues etc, and I HAVE done some reading in other threads related to the Power steering system... But not only am I having a hard time finding a thread that DIRECTLY relates to my symptoms... I actually have already brought my car into Sears (Which was relatively useless) to have this little situation looked at...

So as most can probably imagine yes I'm hearing some squeal and what not... But here's exactly what I've heard/seen and found out so far...

At a stop (In park) or very slow (Idling) turns or tight parking scenarios, the car is squealing... Ok so keeping this mind...

Also while doing those same things, when the turning the wheel slowly nearing the point of lock out, or some time before, I will get a very sudden "Shudder or Jolting" in the steering wheel accompanied by what would seem to be a belt screetch.. This goes away as fast as it comes on, barely a second and then the wheel continues to turn smoothly with no noise... Can be easily repeated going both directions with the steering wheel.

So additional information:

I have replaced the belts recently with some run of the mill auto part replacements just recently.. I don't remember ever having this issue prior...

That said, I did take it into Sears auto center just to have them take a quick peak while I was running around, and the belt seemed to be as tight as necessary and the fluid a little low (Minimum hot range).

Other then that they really had no explanation for it :rolleyes:

They suggested I replace the brand new belts with OEM belts... Seems a little ridiculous.

But it was also noticed, that the pump had a noticeable amount of "Moisture" or seepage surrounding the area.

With the symptoms mentioned and some of the photo's I'm going to attach, have any of you experienced these EXACT symptoms with the PS system?

I'd also like to note that while moving I NEVER experience any of these symptoms (Noises or Steering wheel shudder)

I haven't got the time yet, but the next things I plan to try to do, are clean the pump/area off with some cleaner, and also try to replicate the issue, while watching the pump, to see if there is any visible "Seizing" going on...

THOUGHTS at this point?

I wonder if I'm going to be in the market for a new pump ugh...

Cars at 98k

IMAG1329.thumb.jpg.f4f76bd88f151374da8523fc0e38843e.jpg

IMAG1330.thumb.jpg.1c7cc0ac0e3b8dc41e509730756b21a3.jpg

IMAG1331.thumb.jpg.228d6de4ba55066576cdba1d4b88e152.jpg

IMAG1332.thumb.jpg.00d341674b7d3c97e9054e20eacb4088.jpg

Yes, the belts will not cause this. They are fine.

My wagon did this issue once while backing out of a parking spot about 3 years ago.

It has never done it again.

With the amount of stain you show in the picture, you may want to look for a pump.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Yea think its gonna be one of the next items on the "List" along with the bulletproof/intercooler :spin: What do you think the odds are it's "Seizing" briefly? Like I said, I'm going to try to confirm the next chance I get... I barely drive my car once a week as it is! ha...

Ugh... As you can see, I have another "WETSPOT!" to take care of as well ha... 100k miles seems to be the sweet spot for all the annoying crap to go wrong and/or need to be replaced ha

IMAG1328.thumb.jpg.dd96a47e3596376989d62c3e15cd80a9.jpg

IMAG1326.thumb.jpg.9a2c97fa140fb4b996e566ee2138134b.jpg

That looks like a oil seal on the compressor side of the turbo is going. Along with the TMIC that may have a leak on the vertical fingures.

I hope your keeping a eye on the oil level and topping it off as needed ???

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

I have same TMIC leak, looking for replacement. I have same PS leak, start by replacing o-ring on pump/line and flush system completely, I have same steering shudder check belt tension again, and flush power steering system.. As far as TMIC Barmanbean can hook you up

Archived