LegacyGT.com

Strut/Shock Opinions?....

Hi, I'm wondering what everyone would recommend for struts and shocks?

My car is OG ride height and I'd like to keep it that way. While I do have a bigger rear anti sway, and a few underbody braces, the front strut tower brace, it's pretty stock. Other than the Kartboy rear endinks, everything else is rubber not poly. Springs are stock.

I was looking at Koni, and the Bilstein HD's. I know there's probably KYB and OE Subaru but I thought I'd ask before pulling any trigger.

Longevity, somewhat comfort and performance is key. Wisconsin can be full of potholes and crappy pavement, and of course there's the road salt. So I don't think coilovers are an option. I plan on keeping it a DD for now and still "sending it" through Winter.

Thanks in advance!

No, the rears are direct bolt in. The fronts need to be installed in the struts that came on the car.

You should be able to find more info here,

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2nd-annual-group-buy-epic-springs-05-09-lgt-212865.html

You can also find directions on youtube. just ask google how to.

There is a walk through on here by Underdog I think is who did it years ago.

Edited by Max Capacity

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

For what it's worth I just went threw this ....I had a tough time deciding, I ended up doing new kyb excels ( the OEM replacement) new strut mounts and bearings up from and new rear mounts with 3/8 saggy but spacers.

My shocks/struts where blow and my car had 170k when I got it.

I'm really happy night and day compared to the blown ones super comfy ride , doesn't mind dirt and gravel roads and let's be honest the fact I was all in for less than 500 if a positive as well.

All that being said the koni inserts seem to be everyone's choice and I'm sure would firm up the ride but I'm pretty dam happy

Full disclosure I also added 1 inch wheel h&r wheel spacers and call be crazy but it affected how planted it feels as well and did those before the struts and it was noticible.

Stock wheels, stock size tire and original 170k springs

Sent from my Pixel 3a using Tapatalk

I'm surprised there are no Bilstein recommendations and almost all Koni recommendations.

Are people not buying Bilsteins anymore?

I ran Konis and OEM KYBs back to back and even with King springs on the Konis there was no major difference in comfort or handling. If those were my two options I'd just stick with the KYBs and not deal with the hassle of cutting a set of struts (if yours are even in good enough shape to do that).

Where I live, it's almost a guarantee you'll need new strut bodies to cut up as anything still on the road is rusty, and there aren't that many Legacys in junk yards. JDM Bilsteins are a cheaper used option (they are usually around $400CAD here) vs $900CAD for a set of new Bilstein B6 shocks and struts with no springs, front perches or mounts.

I'm surprised there are no Bilstein recommendations and almost all Koni recommendations.

Are people not buying Bilsteins anymore?

I ran Konis and OEM KYBs back to back and even with King springs on the Konis there was no major difference in comfort or handling. If those were my two options I'd just stick with the KYBs and not deal with the hassle of cutting a set of struts (if yours are even in good enough shape to do that).

Where I live, it's almost a guarantee you'll need new strut bodies to cut up as anything still on the road is rusty, and there aren't that many Legacys in junk yards. JDM Bilsteins are a cheaper used option (they are usually around $400CAD here) vs $900CAD for a set of new Bilstein B6 shocks and struts with no springs, front perches or mounts.

I had a pretty substantial difference in handling capability of my car with Koni shocks and H&R springs over the stock setup. I'm not sure how you couldn't notice a difference. Were your suspension bushings all worn out?

Bilsteins aren't as recommended as the Konis are extraordinarily good shocks that rival top-of-the-line coilovers on our cars, plus they have adjustable damping.

It would be interesting to hear from someone that has ran both Konis and Bilsteins.

I can't comment on comparisons as I have had the factory Bilsteins on my '07 Spec B it's whole life. I will say that they are a great balance between performance and comfort, maybe leaning just slightly to comfort for an enthusiast driver. But of course this is all subjective.

I can say the longevity of the Bilsteins is very good. I drove my first set to 305k miles, and though they were not the same as new, they were still very good, with no leaks and a well controlled ride.

It would be interesting to hear from someone that has ran both Konis and Bilsteins.

I can't comment on comparisons as I have had the factory Bilsteins on my '07 Spec B it's whole life. I will say that they are a great balance between performance and comfort, maybe leaning just slightly to comfort for an enthusiast driver. But of course this is all subjective.

I can say the longevity of the Bilsteins is very good. I drove my first set to 305k miles, and though they were not the same as new, they were still very good, with no leaks and a well controlled ride.

I've run KYB, Koni with King springs and Bilstein B8 with STI pinks (current setup). I would say the Bilstein HDs (B6 & B8) feel like they have significantly higher high speed damping than the Konis (i.e. they feel much more harsh than the Konis).

I would be shocked (no pun) if the OEM Bilsteins have anywhere close to the same damping forces as the HDs. I just can't imagine people accepting the level of "comfort" from the HDs off the showroom floor.

I did have the Konis and Bilsteins installed on two different GT wagons at the same time, so I was able to drive them back to back, and the Konis were much more comfortable feeling, with the same Whiteline sway bars on both cars. I then swapped the Bilsteins to the other car and replaced the Konis with OEM stuff.

Mostly the difference is in high speed damping (bumps/cracks), I doubt there is much difference in low speed damping (actual cornering/transitions). Even if there is a difference, you won't notice it on the street, unless you are getting silly.

TLDR: I didn't notice much difference between OEM KYBs and Koni/King combo but noticed a large difference between both and the Bilstein B8/Pinks combo.

My Spec B is a different ride then my wagon which has Koni's and Epic springs. I do have the Koni's set a 1/4 turn off firm.

I'll say the Bilsteins don't like some depressions in the road. On a street that I drive to get to my street, there is a depression at the apex of a small curve. I take the slight curve at about 35-40mph the wagon sucks it up with no complaint. The Spec B hits it and makes a bang noise. It's the only place the car does that.

All other road surfaces, the Spec is a more refined ride.

The Koni's are fine on the smooth roads but having them set where they are I feel the road surface. But they handle great. With stock swaybars, the wagon has very little body roll. The Spec B has more body roll, its on stock bars too.

305,600miles 5/2012 ej257 short block, 8/2011 installed VF52 turbo, @20.8psi, 280whp, 300ftlbs. (SOLD).  CHECK your oil, these cars use it.

Engine Build - Click Here

Pairing different springs will definitely effect the feel of the shocks.

Best back to back I've had was driving another persons legacy with bilsteins and STI pinks from what I recall, don't recall what revision though.

Anyhow, it was a firmer ride not harsh. It was enjoyable (relatively short ride on good roads though).

Now one place I could feels a difference was leaving/entering a parking lot. In my car with stock springs and koni's it when driving over the transition it didn't throw you around the car as much. It kind of glided over the transition while the bilsteins followed it. Bad description but it's hard to explain. Though I feel it's more a factor of the springs.

My take away between the two. Koni with stock springs give the legacy a sportier but comfortable rides, kind of sport luxury. The bilsteins with STI pinks are more sportier, hugs the road, at home being driven spirited with a bit less comfort/luxury feel.

*my koni are set relatively soft. 1 1/2 - 2 turns from full soft I think off the top of my head.

Edited by nevets27