LegacyGT.com

Marvick08GT's Ridiculous Build!

Going to start fitting the FMIC tomorrow morning. The bung might be here in time for me to run and get it welded on the cold pipe. Will try and take pics, but when I get in the zone I go wild! I will also be able to run the Cobb SF temporarily so we can see the GS tmic and Turbo xs FMIC back to back (iat)

Also ordered a Rife IAT, was recommended by my friend who is into Chevys. New sensor will not be used until the engine goes in, has to be programmed.

https://rifesensors.com/product/air-temperature-sensors/

Looking at wider wheels and possibly a better suspension setup. I need to stop spending but I am already in very deep so.......

Done, took a few breaks and watched my kids for a few hours.

Still need to get the IAT bung welded on the pipe. Then I can do some logging. :)

Didn't get the sprayers on because it was getting dark, will have to do that later.

20210612_202942_copy_1612x1209.thumb.jpg.fd7bed9fd0a48fc4e411252a04a2ba70.jpg

Done, took a few breaks and watched my kids for a few hours.

Still need to get the IAT bung welded on the pipe. Then I can do some logging. :)

Didn't get the sprayers on because it was getting dark, will have to do that later.

cool fmic!

are you going to sell off the unused bits from your previous setup?

:hide:

WOT with ambient Temps @91* the IATs went up to 110 and then started going down a degree at a time to around 106.

She feels incredible, if you want to nitpick you can feel the slight delay in throttle response. Being able to idle for 20 minutes and have the IATs still be at 100* was impressive. The car feels great to drive, heatsoak can kiss my @$$!

On the negative, 190k stock block and gaskets didn't like the multiple logs at full boost (probably didn't like the 140+ mph pulls either.)

Driving normal or low boost it is ok, high boost and cyl pressure and the temps start to climb. Going to drop the car off soon anyway, hopefully sooner than later!

WOT with ambient Temps @91* the IATs went up to 110 and then started going down a degree at a time to around 106.

She feels incredible, if you want to nitpick you can feel the slight delay in throttle response. Being able to idle for 20 minutes and have the IATs still be at 100* was impressive. The car feels great to drive, heatsoak can kiss my @$$!

On the negative, 190k stock block and gaskets didn't like the multiple logs at full boost (probably didn't like the 140+ mph pulls either.)

Driving normal or low boost it is ok, high boost and cyl pressure and the temps start to climb. Going to drop the car off soon anyway, hopefully sooner than later!

This is great!, I really don't get into the details of IAT and this and that, blah blah, and so on. If the car runs great and feels strong then it's good to go. I laugh when people try to chase that perfect dragon. You never will.

The hood I was getting was destroyed. I think I fixed the temperature issue. I took the front bumper foam and made a contoured plug to fill in the hood scoop.

Temps dropped more than 10 degrees. It was cooler this afternoon but I wasn't able to get it over 190 even getting on it hard. IATs were also lower.

Read a million threads about how you should leave the scoop to "cool" the turbo and engine bay. That is a lie, scoop is not functional without the intercooler. Maybe without the belly pan, who knows.

I popped the hood and the air under hood didn't cook my eyebrows after a hard run, I am guessing this means everything is golden! Car definitely pulls harder even with the hot air intake.

Interesting! I was cooking down the road Monday doing 85 with an ambient temp of 117° and noticed the temp gauge was a tad higher than norm. I’m missing my belly pan which I’ve heard has an adverse affect on cooling. I’d like to see your results on a good hot day

Mid 80's today, car cruises at 180* and never goes over 205. I do have a CSF Racing double core radiator.

You can tell airflow is an issue because I was 183* below 30mph. 40+ it would go to 205 and stay there. Now 180* even cruising at 100. ;)

Tuner yelled at me for buying the "cheap" turboxs fmic. Cited fin density etc, when I told him the numbers he said that although it wasn't great it should hold up just fine for less than 600...

P.S. Also remember I am speed density, my IAT sensor is right before the throttle body (measures after the intercooler). On most subarus the IAT you are seeing is from the MAF sensor temp probe (before the air even enters the turbo let alone the intercooler lol)

Edited by Marvick08GT

Installed the KillerB oil filler relocation tube. Very tight in that slot with the A/C lines and my fuel rails, lines and AFPR. I was able to get it in, but had to remove my FP Guage to allow clearance.

20210618_171223_copy_1209x1612.thumb.jpg.4dea154c06d3519310b1205b28570bb7.jpg

20210618_171216_copy_1209x1612.thumb.jpg.d2d0976a31cad787b18ec05b1d9e481f.jpg

20210618_171144_copy_1209x1612.thumb.jpg.457c4c933d6366aca0f8e870727e8011.jpg

Edited by Marvick08GT

• 2 weeks later...

Coolant reservior that came with the Fmic snapped off... luckily it happened in the driveway. Ordered this unit: (Bad reviews and high price of the Cobb and perrin units. Plus this has some nice features.)

https://www.chasebays.com/collections/02-07-subaru-wrx-sti/products/chase-bays-coolant-overflow?variant=39083168713

Coolant reservior that came with the Fmic snapped off... luckily it happened in the driveway. Ordered this unit: (Bad reviews and high price of the Cobb and perrin units. Plus this has some nice features.)

https://www.chasebays.com/collections/02-07-subaru-wrx-sti/products/chase-bays-coolant-overflow?variant=39083168713

Lucky!

I actually run the Cobb unit now which is pretty good. I was actually looking at the ChaseBays unit, it's much cleaner with the hose routed underneath and the unique overflow design. But I wasn't sure how involved it would be with the brackets they provide. The Cobb unit was damn simple to install.

Also - during my dyno session, the Cobb actually spewed coolant all over on my last E85 pull LOL. I replaced the radiator cap with a 1.3 bar, so far no issues.

Great build! I'm still loving the 1.5XTR. I think the next big thing for me is FMIC. I may run into clearance issues with piping near the FPR (mine is in the same location as yours) and I have my fuel feed line running to a fuel filter installed where the secondary air pump normally is.

Yeah it will be tight, but there is room to "fit".

Where does the Cobb mount? I actually ordered the type 3 bracket. I will update when I install.

Mine spews coolant because I am flexing the headstuds (190k stock longblock) :lol:

Yeah it will be tight, but there is room to "fit".

Where does the Cobb mount? I actually ordered the type 3 bracket. I will update when I install.

Mine spews coolant because I am flexing the headstuds (190k stock longblock) :lol:

Wow. Stock longblock FTW.

The Cobb install is super easy. There's a small bung at the bottom of the radiator fan shroud that the custom bracket sit in. There's a mounting point at the top of the radiator as well.

Looking at your piping, it may be a squeeze with the Cobb unit. So you might be better off modifying their bracket and get it lined up perfectly.

https://cobbtuning.atlassian.net/wiki/spaces/PRS/pages/58425911/800650+-+Coolant+Overflow+Reservoir+Install+Instructions

hmmm... I wonder for cooling and air flow if it would make more sense to have a hood without a scoop if your running a fmic? I would run one just to surprise people lol, suprise not a legacy 2.5i! lol

I would grab any hood from an NA motor from a junkyard! imo blockoff to me feels like stickers #+1hp, if its lost its function i'd swap hoods otherwise I feel like its some kind of gaudy accessory , but opinions are like assholes everyone has one lol.

Ebay has some, most seem like no shipping, so maybe you can find one close by.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/224452508139?hash=item34426979eb:g:v10AAOSwjetgrWrT

I guess thats why I didn't want a fmic because it would make my scoop useless and i think it looks cool.

Edited by Tehnation