LegacyGT.com

Official: Utah Chat Thread - VOL 2

Hops

I'm back! with a project, and still living in northern California but I have a subaru Legacy again it's a wagon. I got it for a pretty good steal and now have 4 days to refresh it and replace the clutch.

I'll have some photos soon, it's a nugget. 2001 Legacy L wagon, 5sp Manual with 195k on the clock. Been fairly well maintained mechanically, body shows the age with a few little scratches here and there that were neglected and are now tiny rust spots, little bit of rust by the rear wheels which is normal and a scratch on the passanger door, aft inspecting it is all very much surface rust and when I get to start prepping for a respray it'll all be gone.

I'm excited! I'm going to get the vehicle running, drive it back to Cali in a week and get the suspension bits and all the little things tidied up, fixed, get the body ready for a respray and then I'm going to get a JDM from clip from a B4 RSK that I've already sourced with a friend back in Japan. It's no Spec.B but it'll be a unique little nugget and it'll be all mine.

“Potato shot”

99c9013ac181427896528b217da589ae.jpg

Edited by GipsySpec.B
Potato

• Replies 678
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Now I have some weird gremlin, P0430 code which is the cam positioning sensor but checked it and it is fine, double checked the sensor, made sure there's conductivity the whole 9 yards. While doing it we noticed the belt travels back and fourth for no apparent reason.

After half a 12 pack and 2 hours the only conclusion we could come up with is that the tensioner is the wrong size so I ordered a new timing kit just to be safe. It'll arrive Tuesday and Thursday I'm hopefully driving a reliable vehicle back to California. haha

• 2 weeks later...
Well I've got the engine out and mostly stripped down. Don't have the cam tools so the timing belt is still on it. I got the suggestion for simple performance for the tuning, but who's used a good machine shop out here. I need to get the cams off, heads removed and cleaned/flushed/inspected. I thought a friend of mine could take it as side work but he isn't able to.

I called them yesterday and told them what car I had and what I was doing and they already new a lot of the problems and had all the tools and everything. Pricing didn't seem too bad and I was glad they new everything without having to ask any more than I have an outback xt. Borrowed my roommates truck and dropped it off there this morning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been a long time since I posted here.... but HI everyone, gonna be doing some minor mods again kn my legacy, buy first.... I am finishing this ABP legacy, just got the heads and all back on, going to put the timing all back together when the kit comes in, i took the heads to get redone..... damn i cant remember the name of them, but if you call Horners shop on 17th and 17th they can refer you to the same machine shop I took these heads to, great job, the kinda small but busy and trustworthy shop I like.

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate
:p

Been a long time since I posted here.... but HI everyone, gonna be doing some minor mods again kn my legacy, buy first.... I am finishing this ABP legacy, just got the heads and all back on, going to put the timing all back together when the kit comes in, i took the heads to get redone..... damn i cant remember the name of them, but if you call Horners shop on 17th and 17th they can refer you to the same machine shop I took these heads to, great job, the kinda small but busy and trustworthy shop I like.

What mods are you doing?

Nothing to this ABP one, just going back together and gonna sell it.

Sorry that's just a fix and sell car.

My RBP one, I will be doing some small modifications this winter, not sure what though, too many projects just waiting for me

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate

I guess I should say my hellos to the SLC crew here and give you my back story. I come from the Jeep world and currently also drive a 2003 Grand Cherokee. Been here for a little bit now. Been hankering for a Subaru for some time, was really looking for a Forester XT to have fun with but just can't afford what people want for them. So after looking around awhile I found my current basket case. A 2005 Legacy GT with a billion miles...lol 232000+ to be a bit more precise.

attachment.php?attachmentid=279343&stc=1&d=1568587116

When I got the car it was throwing a bank 1 cam sensor code. I replaced that with an Autozone Duralast and it was working great for around town stuff and semi long drives. Thought I had it solved so I took it for drive out to Dinosaur National Monument and on the way back it threw the code for bank 1 and went to limp mode. It was pouring pretty good and I was also having a bit of fun as well just before. I have no service history for this car other then it supposedly had the clutch changed....uhmmm, I doubt it. I'm guessing there is supposed to be a heat shield over the turbo? I see place one could bolt to. I'm afraid the harness might have an issue in it right there were it passes over the turbo. Only other real issue that needs attention is the suspension. I haven't looked yet but I'm guessing the bushing are all wasted. The paint on the roof is gone. Somebody sprayed it with something,maybe primer, who knows.

I have been thinking of putting a Legacy Outback sub-frame and cradle in to to bring it up then possibly give it a bit of a rally look. Recently I have seen a Legacy Outback XT with a blown motor that I would love to just dump my motor into but it is also auto....so that would have to be changed as well...

Tough choices...

Well again Hello everybody hope to meet you all eventually.

P1010783-2.thumb.jpg.84be0646a60dc70204b75f28679f6777.jpg

Edited by Wil Badger

Fun stuff! Can't say much about the bank 1 issues but yes there should be a heat shield over the turbo, it'll stop heat soak into the intercooler but idk that it's the end of the world. I'd run one. And I think that's the main wire harness you're talking about, the fat one that goes into the firewall right there?

Is the engine cradle higher in the outback? I thought it was the same but there was a bit of a suspension lift and a wimpy sway bar in the rear. I'd certainly get compression and leak down on your motor before swapping it into a new body. I'm doing a rebuild of an obxt right now and it's not a small amount of work. And I wish it was easier to have the rear bumper on the lgt on my obxt.

Pull the AVCS for that bank, ensure its cleaned, and pull the sensor for that bank and clean it also, just a quick suggestion before going gremlin hunting in electrical

Pure Adrenaline

Attached...

To A License Plate

• 3 weeks later...
I’m in the same boat. I don’t want to swap my down pipe and I’m up for emissions. I always pass the test but they fail me on the visual inspection. If they don’t see a down pipe with a serial number, they get confused.

• 3 weeks later...

So my engine is back together. Planning to put it in after the cross race on Saturday but I realized I didn't get the tgv motors back on correctly so it's going to throw a code. I removed the butterflies so I'm not worried about the blockage and don't feel like ripping it all apart.

Does anyone have a tactrix I could borrow or wanna come help me delete the codes for tgv and air pump Saturday afternoon or Sunday? I don't have an AP, tactrix, or windows computer. I can borrow a laptop but don't have money for the other two atm.

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Like noname said, doesn't seem very active around here, but I'll try my luck. Sadly I had to say bye to the LGT last year, but my loss could be your gain! If anyone is looking for roof rack components, I am selling Thule 480 footpacks (with 4th gen fit kit) locally:

https://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/ut-thule-480-footpacks-283458.html?p=5979257#post5979257

• 4 months later...
  • 10 months later...

Long time with no chatter. Not long after selling my 5thgen I purchased a foxbody mustang now for a better long term build

Drove around a bh5 for the better part of a year. Picked up another red 91 ss again and 2 spare ej22t engines. One will make it's way in it.

Now my pride and joy is my 06 limited GRP wagon. Made a few cosmetic changes recently and love it

Anyone with some cool 4thgen parts for sale???