LegacyGT.com

The official Subaru Outback 2020 thread

IcEWoLF

Be one of the first to see the completely redesigned 2020 Subaru Outback. Watch the live reveal New York International Auto Show on April 17th at 11:15AM ET here: subaru.com/nyias2019. #NYIAS #SubaruOutback

57294209_10155971024631689_4872720854934355968_o.jpg?_nc_cat=105&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ht=scontent-sjc3-1.xx&oh=e6a1a227b09c7504e2acae6d7f42a4be&oe=5D4C28B0

It does look similar to the current generation. All of the other cars in Subaru's line up that has made the jump to the SGP has resembled the prior generation. It takes a trained eye to recognize the difference between the generations on the exterior.

It is nice to see that they increased the towing capacity of the XT to 3500lbs.

It does look similar to the current generation. All of the other cars in Subaru's line up that has made the jump to the SGP has resembled the prior generation. It takes a trained eye to recognize the difference between the generations on the exterior.

It is nice to see that they increased the towing capacity of the XT to 3500lbs.

The front bumper was modified a little, the rear end lower bumper is the same, the tail lights are different like a Toyota, the wheels are different, but the interior is redesigned.

Obviously the engine is new.

Rear lift gate button placement is an improvement.

Ventilated front seats are very nice in my book.

Front fog lights are hopefully more functional and less ornamental.

Wonder if it would still run on regular with a Stage 1 tune :)

No folding or tilt down door mirrors or suspension settings :rolleyes: our '18 is just fine.

Edited by DugsSin

The online 2020 model Subi Legacy Sedan brochure outlines Auto/Pwr side view mirrors w/satin chrome finish as a Touring XT model feature. And "yes" to a time honored reverse gear, fold down curb view function.

Look at Subi,,,, getting fancy!

Rear lift gate button placement is an improvement.

Ventilated front seats are very nice in my book.

Front fog lights are hopefully more functional and less ornamental.

Wonder if it would still run on regular with a Stage 1 tune :)

No folding or tilt down door mirrors or suspension settings :rolleyes: our '18 is just fine.

Edited by M. Schneider

Cheers, Mike

|`94 E-Class Coupe |`98 Carrera 993 C2S |`14 Cayman S |`20 Outback Touring XT | All Debadged |

Another fail on so many levels in my book. Once again, WAY too much obnoxious black plastic body cladding on front and back of the car. Don’t like their “premium” wheels one bit. CVT is a fail but no surprise there. Guess the only redeeming thing I can say is nice call on the 2.4 DIT turbo, it’s about time. Unfortunately everything else is so far off the mark that I can’t look past those factors. Guess I’ll continue to drive my ‘08 until the wheels fall off. With 20k mi. On a new short block and a JMP VF-52 I think I’ve got some good years ahead...

WAY too much obnoxious black plastic body cladding on front and back of the car.

I actually think it's kind of refreshing that Subaru acknowledges their paint is thin and is just going to chip and flake off anyway.

I actually like the black cladding.

With 2 young kids and sports/bikes/toys, etc, I'm always trying to keep them away from the Legacy to avoid dents and scratches.

And for work, I do a lot of driving to jobsites, both in the city and off-road sites. The plastic cladding should help to protect the car to some degree.

Look at Subi,,,, getting fancy!

They had a very nice display at the NY show. The Outback will have tilt down pass. side mirror on Limited & folding on the Touring according to the brochure.

output.thumb.jpg.67b0815f03bddb64f1799d781743ade1.jpg

They had a very nice display at the NY show. The Outback will have tilt down pass. side mirror on Limited & folding on the Touring according to the brochure.

This year Subaru had 2 displays at the NY show. The one from the picture was on the upper floor and the second display was on lower floor. The first floor display was all fluff. The lower floor had all the Subaru models on the floor. The Legacy XT, Crosstrek Hybrid and the WRX STI S209 was at the lower level. The Legacy XT was turned on and I got a chance to play with the new infortainment system.

^I thought the same thing. The onyx edition is very appealing. I really like the interior colors and "water proof" seats. Just wondering where the pricing and model will slide into the mix. My guess is it will be about the same price as a Limited XT.

^please elaborate. What did you think of the Legacy? and what do you think of the infotainment system? Thanks.

Sorry for the delayed reply. This is what I remember from the autoshow. I sat in both the Outback and the Legacy, but I spent much more time in the Legacy.

Subaru had a white Touring XT model there. This was the first car you see when you enter the lower level of the convention center. I did not get a chance to look at the trunk as it was locked. I also did not get a chance to look into the engine bay either.

The Touring interior is very similar to my wife's Ascent. Steering wheel looks and feels like the one from the Ascent. Where the Ascent has a small shelf on the left of the steering wheel for small items, the Legacy does not, just a solid piece of trim. Passenger side still has the small shelf though. It feels like the current Legacy inside and outside. Funny thing, my brother got it confused with a 2019 Legacy 3.6R that was behind the XT.

As for the Infotainment system. I only had a chance to play with navigation annd the climate controls. Scrolling around the maps was relatively fast, about the same or faster than the Ascent, but definitely better than the nav in my 13 Legacy. Climate controls are on the bottom of the screen, with the fan controls in the lower center. As someone who adjusts the fan speed often, I not sure if this can be operated without looking at the screen. This could be fixed easily if Subaru would put some bumps or dents on the trim piece to act as a guide for the fan controls. I don't recall seeing physical buttons for heated/cooled seats so they must be on the screen somewhere. If you need to change the fan mode, you need to look at the screen. I think a physical button for the fan modes would have been better or reprogram the Front defrost button to include the other fan modes. The home button is in the lower middle of the screen, and I feel there is no way to press this button without looking at the screen.

Opening and closing the eye glass case feels cheap, but the center storage box is nicely padded. Storage space is good.

If I remember anything else, I will update this.

You know one of the biggest things I took for granted was a physical button or dial for things. I notice it all the time now in my wife's Honda Pilot, and it's annoying as hell. I really appreciate the volume and tuning and climate knobs in my 19 Foz.

Sorry for the delayed response as well, I appreciate the feed back. The lack of buttons would definitely be something to get used to. You mention the physical button for defrost and would be better as a modes I totally agree, or just make it auto. Most new vehicles just have automatic climate control so why not make it an auto button, one push and its basically set. It seems surprising for Subaru to go in this direction but overall it looks nice and we will have to see how real world use and ergonomics play out. Thanks again.