LegacyGT.com

2020 Legacy first impressions

I stopped by a dealer last week for an oil change. To kill time, I thought I'd check out the new Legacy.

I was lucky enough that they had a 2020 Legacy Limited and 2020 Outback Touring XT in stock.

Vehicle impressions:

• The ride is improved and feels refined.
  • The Harman Kardon sound is excellent and is the best Subaru has offered to date
  • The gauge cluster is clearer; I'm guessing the backlight or material was changed. I wish they went all digital like Volvo did in the S40.
  • The front bumper cam is great and helps with even the most mundane parking tasks. The resolution is comparable to the rearview camera, which isn't industry-leading, but get's the job done.
  • XT leather is awesome; so are the vented seats.
  • The blind spot assist has been relocated to the inside of the mirror, like an Audi. I can't decide if I like this change. I'm used to it in the mirror.

Infotament:

• The giant center video screen has A LOT going on. It's by no means minimal or pretty.
  • Physically, it appears to the same screen Toyota is using in the Prius Prime with different side panels and GUI.
  • The screen is divided into 3 sections
  • ---- TOP -- the top quarter is scrollable and contains various engine or radio parameters.
  • ---- MIDDLE -- this is your radio or carplay area. The radio controls take up this entire area. Carplay floats near the top.
  • ---- BOTTOM -- This mimics hard controls for heating and cooling
  • The best way to describe the center console is that it looks like the design team ran out of time. It's disjointed and presents WAY too much at any given time. The design team should benchmark off the Volvo XC90, 2020 Ford Explorer, or Lincoln Aviator.
  • An updated user interface with cleaner graphics would go a long way. Fortunately, a redesign could come since it would be software only.

Overall:

A refined version of what we all know and love. The higher-spec models are more luxurious.

Screen-Shot-2019-09-14-at-6-28-34-AM.png

Edited by jMeG

I'd be interested to see how the turbo 2020 legacy drives vs the H6 2019. Or vs the CVT WRX.

Would you like more power? Then a turbo is for you!

Previous generation:

• I find the H6 overall feels smoother and more capable
  • The smoothness is even more pronounced when using Eyesight
  • On the freeway, if you stomp the accelerator in an H4 over 55mph, you get very little action. Doing the same in an H6 delivers some real power and passing ability.

New generation:

• Over 35mph I feel like I have noticeably more power in the turbo model.
  • Over 55 I like you have a little additional power, but it's not as noticeable as the H6.

Good luck finding a dealer who will let you demo a WRX.

i am not a fan of turbos, I'd rather have displacement a a flat 3.6 will easily go 3-400+K without major repairs.... Seems like the turbos start having issues around 130ish K.

Having driven a 3.6R legacy with a CVT and a 5AT, 5AT hands down if you want acceleration

Would you like more power? Then a turbo is for you!

Previous generation:

• I find the H6 overall feels smoother and more capable
  • The smoothness is even more pronounced when using Eyesight
  • On the freeway, if you stomp the accelerator in an H4 over 55mph, you get very little action. Doing the same in an H6 delivers some real power and passing ability.

New generation:

• Over 35mph I feel like I have noticeably more power in the turbo model.
  • Over 55 I like you have a little additional power, but it's not as noticeable as the H6.

Good luck finding a dealer who will let you demo a WRX.

Interesting you find the H6 to be smoother. I have the opposite opinion comparing my Ascent to my 2013 Legacy 3.6R. I find the Ascent to be smoother and more responsive.

In both cars; nothing really happens when you stomp on the gas. The Ascent and Legacy seem to react faster if you just step onto the throttle and press down as opposed to stomping.

Interesting you find the H6 to be smoother. I have the opposite opinion comparing my Ascent to my 2013 Legacy 3.6R. I find the Ascent to be smoother and more responsive.

In both cars; nothing really happens when you stomp on the gas. The Ascent and Legacy seem to react faster if you just step onto the throttle and press down as opposed to stomping.

You're comparing apples to oranges.

2013 Legacy is a different generation I haven't driven.

The 2019 H4 Ascent weighs 4,430

The 2019 H6 Legacy weights 3,455

A vehicle that's lower to the ground and 1000lbs lighter will handle differently.

A vehicle that's lower to the ground and 1000lbs lighter will handle differently.

You right about the handling, the Ascent's power steering takes some getting use to.

However, in terms of power delivery, I find the Ascent to be better. I had two Subarus' with the 3.6 H6. The Legacy and a Tribeca. My 08 Tribeca was smoother than my Legacy in regards to how power is delivered. It felt like it the throttle was more sensitive. I have not driven a CVT H6 Subaru so I can't comment on that.

Hi everyone! I have a 2017 Lincoln MKZ that comes off lease in about 9 months. The 2020 Legacy is my front-runner to replace it.

I would never have considered the Subaru brand until a review of the new Legacy came across my inbox. I was impressed by the pictures of the Touring model interior (love that shade of brown). I've decided for my next car that I'll be wanting features, rather than a luxury brand (I can't seem to have both). Since I drive back and forth to Wisconsin from Ohio a few times a year, adaptive cruise and lane centering are musts.

I spent a lot of time crawling around inside (and driving) a Legacy Limited (non-Turbo) last week. Here were my impressions.

I think I will want the turbo. I'm not so interested in 0-60 but I do need to pass semis on two-lane roads. The base engine didn't feel up to this task.

Subaru is promoting this car's quietness. In this regard, I found it unspectacular. If this is the case, the earlier Legacies must be very noisy cars! The turbo has soundproofed side glass and maybe it will sound quieter. My MKZ is certainly quieter, and should be. The Legacy's ride was great, I am more interested in comfort that sportiness. The sound level was comparable to the new 2019 Nissan Altima I've been running across a lot on rental lots.

One thing that attracts me to the Subaru is the driver's seat with the thigh extension. Loved it. The seat is mostly very comfortable; I felt that it could/should have been able to be positioned lower, and the lumbar support only moves in and out (not up/down). In addition, even with the lumbar support fully extended I was wishing for a little more. The lateral support on the driver's seat was a little squishy, rather than being truly supportive. I wish I could transport the driver's seat from the Volvo S60-R Design into every car I own in the future.

The quality of the interior was a huge turn on. Stereo was very good. I found the infotainment responsive and easy to navigate.

Two turn offs:

1. Start/Stop. Intrusive. I hated it. It can only be turned off by going into the vehicle settings button, scrolling down, and flicking the switch. IT TURNS BACK ON WHEN YOU RESTART THE CAR. This looks like something that can be changed with a software update if enough people complain about it, but in this regard I think Subaru will ignore the will of its customers. I would complain less if the specific control to turn off stop/start could be placed on the first screen of the infotainment menu (maybe this IS possible, but I don't think so).

2. Accessing the USB ports below the infotainment screen is extremely difficult. I tried plugging in a small USB drive (with my music) and a cable into the two ports, and the opening is very small and awkwardly shaped. I could NOT fit my hand in there. I'm not overstating this point.

I played a lot with the adaptive cruise and lane centering during my test drive. They worked superbly. There is an awesome vehicle setting that allows you to tune the aggressiveness by which the adaptive cruise reverts to its saved speed after slowing down. With the turbo engine, I think this will be fantastic. When you use the lane centering, there are a lot of indicator lights and beeps inside the cockpit that I will need to become familiar with.

The feature that scans the driver's face and remembers that driver's preferred vehicle settings is very cool but I didn't have a chance to test it.

The mileage during my test drive seemed to well exceed the EPA estimate. I reset the MPG calculator while I was on the freeway. Drove it for about 10-15 minutes (around 70MPH?); when I left the freeway the calculated MPG was around 40MPG. Is this consistent with anyone's experience, or does the car tend to overstate one's mileage?

No car is perfect, unfortunately. I do wish it was quieter, and I wish I could permanently disable start/stop. But I was sufficiently impressed after my test drive that the Legacy is still at the top of my list to replace my Lincoln. I DO want to try that turbo engine!

Hi everyone! I have a 2017 Lincoln MKZ that comes off lease in about 9 months. The 2020 Legacy is my front-runner to replace it.

Two turn offs:

1. Start/Stop. Intrusive. I hated it. It can only be turned off by going into the vehicle settings button, scrolling down, and flicking the switch. IT TURNS BACK ON WHEN YOU RESTART THE CAR. This looks like something that can be changed with a software update if enough people complain about it, but in this regard I think Subaru will ignore the will of its customers. I would complain less if the specific control to turn off stop/start could be placed on the first screen of the infotainment menu (maybe this IS possible, but I don't think so).

2. Accessing the USB ports below the infotainment screen is extremely difficult. I tried plugging in a small USB drive (with my music) and a cable into the two ports, and the opening is very small and awkwardly shaped. I could NOT fit my hand in there. I'm not overstating this point.

I played a lot with the adaptive cruise and lane centering during my test drive. They worked superbly. There is an awesome vehicle setting that allows you to tune the aggressiveness by which the adaptive cruise reverts to its saved speed after slowing down. With the turbo engine, I think this will be fantastic. When you use the lane centering, there are a lot of indicator lights and beeps inside the cockpit that I will need to become familiar with.

The feature that scans the driver's face and remembers that driver's preferred vehicle settings is very cool but I didn't have a chance to test it.

The mileage during my test drive seemed to well exceed the EPA estimate. I reset the MPG calculator while I was on the freeway. Drove it for about 10-15 minutes (around 70MPH?); when I left the freeway the calculated MPG was around 40MPG. Is this consistent with anyone's experience, or does the car tend to overstate one's mileage?

1. The Lane Keep Assist warnings can be turned down or off. This will make the Subaru system operate exactly like Ford Lane Centering.
  2. Stop/Start can be turned off. Your Lincoln probably has it and you disabled it.
  3. You can easily meet the stated highway MPG, and sometimes exceed it if you keep the car between 62-67 and limit excess weight. Going 70+ drops your fuel economy significantly in most vehicles.
  4. You can buy a short USB extension cable on Amazon.

I just bought my 2020 Abyss Blue Pearl Limited yesterday. We have a 2017 Forester Touring XT so the power is defintely a little underwhelming compared to the XT. I will be using the car to commute so gas mileage was a bigger concern for me, hence the tradeoff. I absolutely love the interior. The head unit is such an upgrade compared to the Forester. I think the speakers sound a little better as well. It’s fairly easy to modify most of the settings such as auto stop/start. The lane keeping is light years better than the Forester IMO. I’ve put about 90 miles on it so far, and am getting around 37 MPG with mixed highway and city driving. I think that you probably can’t go wrong with purchasing one of these.

• 2 weeks later...
So I got my first impressions after a stop at the dealer. I wanted to see if they had any on the lot, they had a black Limited which is the model I would get if I were to purchase another Legacy. Well to cut to the chase I was disappointed. Now please understand my comparison is to my 16 Limited and all these things are petty but they add up for me. First thing I noticed was sill plates are no longer "aluminum", there is no wood trim(its an accessory), and still no interior LED lighting (also an accessory). So I hop in the car, adjust everything to just take it in and it all seemed busy in a sense. There's so many more angles and shapes and random BS that doesn't need to be there it seems. No I will admit the interior of the 16's already seems sort of dated but it isn't horrible and I like the subtle things like aluminum sill plates, tasteful wood trim bits and clean layout. To me with the higher price tag and lack of these things the Legacy has lost its "value" status with me. It still packs a lot of nice things for the money but not nearly as much as when I bought my 16. Just my .02.

I have driven a 13 legacy with a flat 6 and it will SMOKE the H6 CVT variant all day long in terms of power delivery and acceleration and it is amazingly quiet

2010 3.6R 0-60 6.4 quarter in 15

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15122958/2010-subaru-legacy-36r-limited-road-test-review/

http://raptorsc.com.au/subaru/liberty-3-6r-supercharger-system/

put a blower on that h6 and you are down into the low to mid 5's to 60... the CVT variant will get you sub 6 but who knows how long that CVT will deal with 40% more power going through it

max power you can get is 320KW or 430HP at the wheels if you have a 5EAT put that on the CVT and it will die.

2015 3.6R CVT 0-60 7.1 quarter in 15.5

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15109501/2015-subaru-legacy-36r-limited-test-review/

2020 Legacy turbo 6.3 quarter in 14.8

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a28811392/2020-subaru-legacy-drive/

Edited by YeuEmMaiMai

Have my 2020 Legacy Touring with Turbo. The first thing everyone says is how quiet it is. There is only one change I would make. At times, when making a turn, the placement of the inside rear view mirror seems to be in the way from getting a perfect view of the road.

I have driven a 13 legacy with a flat 6 and it will SMOKE the H6 CVT variant all day long in terms of power delivery and acceleration and it is amazingly quiet

2010 3.6R 0-60 6.4 quarter in 15

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15122958/2010-subaru-legacy-36r-limited-road-test-review/

2015 3.6R CVT 0-60 7.1 quarter in 15.5

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a15109501/2015-subaru-legacy-36r-limited-test-review/

2020 Legacy turbo 6.3 quarter in 14.8

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/a28811392/2020-subaru-legacy-drive/

Thanks for posting the links. I just glanced at Car and Driver's website and I noticed the Ascent is not much slower than the 2020 Legacy turbo.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a27126758/2019-subaru-ascent-vs-2019-volkswagen-atlas/

2019 Ascent 0-60 6.5 quarter 15.1

Also Car and Driver did a comparison between the Legacy Touring and the Honda Accord Touring.

https://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/comparison-test/a29380144/2020-subaru-legacy-vs-2019-honda-accord/

• 3 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...
i am not a fan of turbos, I'd rather have displacement a a flat 3.6 will easily go 3-400+K reverse image search email checker port checker without major repairs.... Seems like the turbos start having issues around 130ish K.

We’ve had 3 Subaru turbo vehicles and I have a 4th on order. Two of them are 14 and 15 years old. Never a problem with the engines. We had driven the 6 cylinder versions at a dealer and with a friend’s car in the past. They felt sluggish compared to the turbos and not as well balanced with the extra weight up front. Subaru does an outstanding job with the turbos and I wouldn’t purchase a non-turbo version. We had some reservations at one time until we drove a 6 cylinder Outback and then compared it to the Outback XT that my wife purchased. The comparison was stark, and durability has not been a problem.