LegacyGT.com

Curious: Dashboard VIN plate mounted upside down

Just curious if anyone else has ever seen something like this. Bought a car on a salvage title and in the process of rebuilding it had to get an inspection by the highway patrol. The car had one owner, clear title and history.

Everything passed inspection and the VIN matched all other instances. The vin plate also did not appear to have been modified, removed or damaged.

But, it's installed upside down. The inspection supervisor said in 26 years they've never seen this.

I'm guessing it must have been done at the manufacturer? Has anyone else run across this before? It's not causing me any issues, so I guess it's not a big deal, but I'm super curious - a couple internet searches turn up nothing.

Check that it matches the VIN stamped on the location under the hood on the car to make sure. If it matches it shouldn't be a problem and then someone assembling the car must have had a case of bad Monday.

VIN.png

453747.png

Maybe it got reversed during a sticky dash recall?

More often they just forget to transfer the VIN plate to the new dash.

Exactly what I was going to say. They forgot to transfer mine when they replaced the dash and took care of the airbag recall. When I picked it up, I noticed and they pulled it off the old dash and told me that it will need to be riveted back on when my windshield gets replaced.

It matches, and it's the correct one. I had to replace most of the front body work including the hood and the driver's side door - the inspection passed and all the numbers matched what was expected.

gkinslow - It WAS repaired as part of the sticky dash recall - the previous owner mentioned that when I picked it up (I think I might even have paperwork, I'll have to check). That's what I'm guessing happened, when they replaced the dash, and reattached the plate, the tech did it upside down.

Doesn't seem to matter, but it's interesting. Makes the car unique I guess :lol: