LegacyGT.com

Murray Constant Tension Turbo Seal Clamps and Dual Bead Clamps

Anyone order these to replace the clamps that come with a grimmspeed intercooler? If so, what sizes? I need better clamps...

What he said. I would like to buy these as well for all the intercooler plumbing.

So it looks like dual bead is for sealing tight, and constant tension for having a little flex under strain?

Which one would be recommended for a grimmspeed intercooler? Standard dual bead? Also in for a set of 4. Anyone take measurements yet?

Gator - you should totally advertise a Grimmspeed host clamp replacement kit for $30-35 shipped or something. Or get them to point people to you or offer an upgrade through you.

Hi Ya'll! Thanks for the questions.

The constant tension clamps are for hoses/pipes that see large temp changes, especially over short time periods. The spring action keeps the tension tight as the hose and the metal pipe expand and contract with the temp changes. That's why they are great for intercooler pipes and you see them on all the Prodrive built cars.

The dual bead clamps are for everything else. They just work better than regular worm clamps.

I don't know what the sizes are for the GrimmSpeed IC. If ya'll can measure the outer diameter of the supplied hoses, or even the circumference, I can come up with the correct sizes and make up a discounted kit. Looking at their website I see they use standard worm clamps. You could replace them with my dual bead clamps and it would be an upgrade. They will probably work fine on a daily driver, but for a track /drag/race car I recommend the constant tension clamps.

Thanks!

Gator

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Nothing like a race track to find the weak points in man and machine.

"Good Judgement comes from Experience. Experience comes from Bad Judgement"

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks. Mine popped off AGAIN yesterday (4-6 times this year) at the IC (coming from turbo). It's weird because the previous 2 stints (it's always in 2 year intervals because of SMOG checks), I ONLY had issues at the IC/TB side. This time, that side hasn't had any issues and the input side is popping off..

Will be measuring the turbo/IC side soon.

May take a bit more work to measure the IC/TB hose. Don't know if I have time to get to both ends today.

Do you want me to measure the hose on or off the flange?

Ok, hose on turbo side has both sides right around 7.9-8.0 inches OD. So any clamp that can do 7.75 to 8.5 should be fine (to give a little room for sliding on, etc). Hopefully they have a bit bigger range.

I didn't get a chance to measure the IC -> TB side today.

I recently bought a used GS intercooler and measured the 3 hoses that came with it:

1.5" (2)

2 3/8- 2 1/2" (2)

3 1/8" (2)

I didn't get precise measurements but they are close.

Edited by 08SpecB_DE

Thanks. Mine popped off AGAIN yesterday (4-6 times this year) at the IC (coming from turbo). It's weird because the previous 2 stints (it's always in 2 year intervals because of SMOG checks), I ONLY had issues at the IC/TB side. This time, that side hasn't had any issues and the input side is popping off..

Will be measuring the turbo/IC side soon.

May take a bit more work to measure the IC/TB hose. Don't know if I have time to get to both ends today.

Do you want me to measure the hose on or off the flange?

Ok, hose on turbo side has both sides right around 7.9-8.0 inches OD. So any clamp that can do 7.75 to 8.5 should be fine (to give a little room for sliding on, etc). Hopefully they have a bit bigger range.

I didn't get a chance to measure the IC -> TB side today.

I'm sure you mean circumfrance.

I recently bought a used GS intercooler and measured the 3 hoses that came with it:

1.5" (2)

2 3/8- 2 1/2" (2)

3 1/8" (2)

I didn't get precise measurements but they are close.

So it looks like these will be the sizes:

Dual Bead:

1.5" X 2 = DB20SS Diameter SAE Decimal 0.69" - 1.63"; SAE Inches 11/16" to 1-5/8"; Millimeters 17.5mm to 41.4mm. OR the DB28SS Diameter SAE Decimal 1.19" - 2.13"; SAE Inches 1-3/16" to 2-1/8"; Millimeters 30.2mm to 54mm. Typically the smaller is better because there isn't so much band tail hanging out. But if the silicone hose is extra thick it would be close.

2 3/8" -2 1/2" X 2 = DB40SS Diameter SAE Decimal 1.94" - 2.88"; SAE Inches 1-15/16" to 2-7/8"; Millimeters 49.2mm to 73mm.

3 1/8" X2 = DB48SS Diameter SAE Decimal 2.44" - 3.38"; SAE Inches 2-7/16" to 3-3/8"; Millimeters 61.9mm to 85.7mm. OR DB56SS Diameter SAE Decimal 2.94" - 3.88"; SAE Inches 2-15/16" to 3-7/8"; Millimeters 74.6mm to 98.9mm.

Typically the smaller is better because there isn't so much band tail hanging out. But if the silicone hose is extra thick it would be close.

Constant Tension:

1.5" X 2 :TSS20S30 Diameter SAE Decimal 1.37" - 1.88"; SAE Inches 1-3/8" to 1-7/8"; Millimeters 35mm to 48mm. If this won't get sufficiently tight enough I'd have to special order the next size down.

2 3/8- 2 1/2" X 2: TSS36S30 SAE Decimal 1.97" - 2.88"; SAE Inches 1-31/32" to 2-7/8"; Millimeters 50mm to 73mm.

3 1/8" X2 = TSS 48S30 Diameter SAE Decimal 2.75" - 3.63"; SAE Inches 2-3/4" to 3-5/8"; Millimeters 70mm to 92mm.

The Prototype Tester Deal

I need two volunteers to test a set of Dual Bead and a set of Constant Tension for sizes and function. And be willing to swap the next size up or down if needed. I'll heavily discount each set from the normal price if in return you promise to:

1) Install them very soon!

2) Provide feedback on the fit. We may need to swap sizes up of down to get them optimized.

3) Drive them for a month (hard and a lot!) and provide feedback on how well they work in this application.

4) Return unused clamps at your mailing cost.

Once we work thru all the bugs if it looks like they will really be a good upgrade I'll make a kit(s) and put them up on eBay at a reduced cost over buying them individually. I'll also be able to provide a more accurate shipping cost as a set.

The Prototype testers price:

The Dual Bead set is: $20 includes shipping.

The Constant Tension Set is: $48 includes shipping.

So who wants a set of Dual Bead and who wants a set of Constant Tension?

If you do shoot me an email to colredracing at gmail.com. I'll send you a PayPal invoice, on payment I will ship!

Only available to the first two volunteers who send payment. The kits will cost more than these.

Thanks!

Gator

PS: I have two testers!

Edited by Sgt.Gator

Emailed

Constant Tension will ship tomorrow!

Also emailed.

I didn't specify which I wanted to test but I don't have a preference.

Dual Bead will ship tomorrow

Thanks!

Shipped.

In the Dual BEad kit I added two DB56 clamps. The DB48 work on thinner silicone 3" hoses, but if the GS are thicker it would be on the cusp. Let me know which ones you think are best. The other two you can drop off at PIR when you drop by to help me crew my race car this summer. :icon_wink

The first race is May 4th, I'll have the STI in the late afternoon Mini Enduro race.

Yeah, I meant circumference. My bad, too much on my mind these days..

Please consider a 4-clamp kit only. I've had ZERO issues with the 1.5" clamps, and don't expect to. I mean, if they're $5 for both, sure..

OTOH, have now had each of the larger 4 connections come undone, so those are the ones I'm trying to improve.

Edited by hadvw
line spacing is broken with firefox

Shipped.

In the Dual BEad kit I added two DB56 clamps. The DB48 work on thinner silicone 3" hoses, but if the GS are thicker it would be on the cusp. Let me know which ones you think are best. The other two you can drop off at PIR when you drop by to help me crew my race car this summer. :icon_wink

The first race is May 4th, I'll have the STI in the late afternoon Mini Enduro race.

Sounds good! We're having baby #2 on the 29th this Month. Maybe I can get out for a day on the 4th and be in your pit.

Forgot I took a picture of the included clamps which have the sized on them before I installed my GS TMIC.

It's rainy out here but I'll try and them on this weekend and see how they do. I think the smaller BPV clamps will be unnecessary though. They don't see that much pressure.

The new clamps will get a workout next month though as the car is going in for a dyno tune. BNR Evo3/TD05, TBE, Cobb intake and inlet, TGV deletes, flex fuel support, recirculated EWG, ELH and some other goodies.

IMG_20190403_153404.thumb.jpg.ef33e7e5624279e69457bf2659b7e0a5.jpg

Edited by Schrei Wolf

• 2 weeks later...

I installed the dual bead clamps today. Install was easy as usual with the GS intercooler. I will take pictures and update this post with the installed sizes as well.

2x DB48

2x DB40

2x DB20

e5fd07911892fe7453dd451de6480442.jpg5105878c417ada55c3f17247569592b6.jpg58933d09d337cfbd0476710a9c107197.jpg

Edited by rhino6303

• 4 weeks later...
I've been wondering the same thing. 2 people jumped on the discounted deal in return for product information. Life gets busy but dont nominate yourself to do the work if you aren't going to come through. Flaky people, nothing from the vendor....I'm done. These clamps can be sourced elsewhere.

I've been wondering the same thing. 2 people jumped on the discounted deal in return for product information. Life gets busy but dont nominate yourself to do the work if you aren't going to come through. Flaky people, nothing from the vendor....I'm done. These clamps can be sourced elsewhere.

My car is currently sitting on a base map until it gets dyno tuned for flex fuel next week. So far though logs haven't shown any leaks.

Unsure what else you want besides the fact they fit and hold boost fine (dual bead clamps). In fact, just yesterday they held at 20 psi for a sustained interval. I updated my previous post with more information.
My car is currently sitting on a base map until it gets dyno tuned for flex fuel next week. So far though logs haven't shown any leaks.
Just want to add that they don't leak for me either. I have the dual bead version. 20 psi and none popped. Edited by rhino6303

Before I make a special deal and post it up I want to be sure the solution actually works long term. It's crazy expensive to take product back on returns for small vendors like me.

So far so good. So I'll get a package price for the DB set up on my eBay store shortly.

I installed the dual bead clamps today. Install was easy as usual with the GS intercooler. I will take pictures and update this post with the installed sizes as well.

2x DB48

2x DB40

2x DB20

Rhino I'm going to ship you one DB44 and one DB36. Let me know if they fit better without so much tail.

Gator

• 1 month later...
So the CT clamp has a bit of interference with stuff around the throttle body we discovered, and on the turbo side. Dual bead would be preferred in those locations. No issues by the TMIC itself though.

So it sounds like an all DB package is the bet way to go for now.

Rhino, I shipped you one DB44 and one DB36. Let me know if they fit better without so much tail.

Any update for the thread?

Those look pretty good for fit!

Would this be the revised package?

2 x DB 20

2 x DB 36

2 x DB 40?

Not the DB 44 or DB 48....

Edit: Looking closely at the pic you have labelled DB40 I think it's a DB44. ...yep, it is. ;)

I'll work up an all DB package tonight.

1716599771_MurrayDBClamp.JPG.8d1300e196a9eca97bd9c1111beb77a3.JPG

Edited by Sgt.Gator