LegacyGT.com

Brake pads for street use

Smithcraft

Hello!

Looking over this forum, and maybe I'm still missing it, but I don't see a comparison of brake pads for street use.

I'm about to order Centric rotors, and I'd like to order the pads at the same time.

So, I'm hoping for good bite, and minimal dust and noise. Something that will handle some occasions use of S# and windy roads, but mostly a daily driver.

I've looked at the Project Mu site for the NS 400, but I'm not sure what their radial graphs indicate (center high/outer low - center low/outer high? ). So I'm not sure if they are what I'm interested in.

Looking at the comparison at Tirerack.com the Hawk HPS look good, the Centric Posi-quiet look good, and the StopTech 308/309 have not ratings. However, reading Boxita and PJF's conversation about 308 vs HPS, I'm leaning towards the HPS between those two choices.

I presume that any of those should be better than the OEM pads, but are the OEM pads a decent choice for a Stage 2 SpecB?

Thanks in advance!

SC

1994 Legacy MI

2008 Legacy GT specB

2023 Crosstrek Limited

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I used the NS400 on my old 06 LGT and still use them on my 07 OBXT w/ LGT calipers.

They suits my needs perfectly! I tried the stoptech street perfo (can't say if same as 308/309) and hated them : dust alot and needs to be driven hard or the leave deposits.

Quiet and no deposits from driving like a grandma to ''emergency braking'' with a full loaded OB with 3 passengers. My car sees temperature from 95F to -20F and never had problem with cold bite. I honestly can't speak for hot usage but they did see some hard braking situations when hauling a pretty heavy 4wheels 4'x8' trailer filled with rocks.

Yes they are expensive but will buy again.

I have the Stoptech 309 pads and think they are a great bargain. Dust means the pads are working. Not a bad thing. Deposits have not been an issue, though pads do require aggressive bedding-in (and they tell you this). I have had Hawk HPS and OEM pad replacements, also. Still happy with the Stoptechs running on Centric premium rotors. Not a track car, just an everyday driver with some occasional spirited trips.

I've burned through two sets of the stoptech's so far. They do fairly well for the street, great bite and total grab under just about all ambient temperature ranges. They do OK up in the mountain as well without ever seriously fading. They are also rediculiously cheap!

I do have a few issues with them though: they dust like mad, eat rotors like candy, and will leave uneven deposits if you just glance at them wrong. Then you have to get them hot as hell to rebed them!

Feel wise they may have a bit too much bite any thus aren't super linear. When you apply the breaks petter it feels like nothing -> grab (initial bite) -> no increase -> finally increasing linearly with pressure -> omg stop -> no increase again. So a big peak or force when the first bite, then a lull before you get into the leaner range, then the peak out before my AS3+'s do. You get used to it pretty quickly though. Probably trying something Project Mu next.

I have Stoptechs on my 98. The dust is insane from those pads. I will never get them again. I may take them off before they even wear out. On my 09 I have Hawk HPS pads. I really like them. I recommend them. I am using them with Centric Premium rotors as well.

I've been a fan of the Hawk HPS since first year on track. Very linear pad so if you like to use the first 2mm of brake pedal travel, you'll hate them.

If you are looking at brake charts, https://www.tirerack.com/images/pdf/product/Hawk-Compound-Charts.pdf , keep in mind 200 degrees of brake temp is not the end of your driveway. Your first stop could be longer than expected.

The HP+ shows much quicker functionality, however, it doesn't show the much higher dust and wear on your disks. The HP+ is autox pad and most track days. As a street pad, it was a lost cause wearing the disks out too fast.

I've been on HPS 5.0 and Centric premium rotors for a little over 18 months and 35K miles. No real complaints as a DD pad. No noise to speak of, minimal (if any) increase in dust over OEM pads and the dust washes off very easily, and they seem to be rotor friendly. They aren't scary in the cold, certainly not like proper tracks pads can be. They grab harder than OEM pads (though there's still a bit of pedal travel before anything happens) and modulate well once engaged. Overall they've performed better than OEM pads without requiring any increased maintenance, good enough for DD duty IMO.

Using the Project Mu HC-CS a few years and love them. A little spendy but no other complaints.
Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

I just ordered a set of EBS Greenstuff pads and EBS rotors. No review yet hopefully get them on in the next week or so if the weather cooperates.

Hmm, I haven't had good experience with those pads. Lots of other options available though (e.g. Intima).

Hmm, I haven't had good experience with those pads. Lots of other options available though (e.g. Intima).

What didn't you like about them? They are just sitting in the box right now so its not to late to return them for something else :)

• 2 weeks later...
I've also had the stoptech pads. They were great for performance on the street. Never used them on the track though. Got rid of them due to the nonstop brake squeal. Maybe I would've had better luck after regreasing them. Currently happy with the stock pads (DD Car). Would like better pedal feel though.

I bought the Hawk HPS because of all the positive feedback on this site. I really dislike them now. I have to admit they pulled off something pretty special though, combining the poor cold bite of a true performance pad with the melting point of the stock pads. I'm sure that took a lot of R&D.

I find the Stoptech pads mushy for some reason. Have a customer with a GRB using those and doing 4th gear pulls they don't inspire much confidence.

Obligatory '[URL="http://legacygt.com/forums/showthread.php/2008-gh8-238668.html?t=238668"]build thread[/URL]' Increased capacity to 2.7 liters, still turbo, but no longer need spark plugs.

ATE Super Blue and nothing else.

I bought the Hawk HPS because of all the positive feedback on this site. I really dislike them now. I have to admit they pulled off something pretty special though, combining the poor cold bite of a true performance pad with the melting point of the stock pads. I'm sure that took a lot of R&D.

I find the Stoptech pads mushy for some reason. Have a customer with a GRB using those and doing 4th gear pulls they don't inspire much confidence.

Im a fan of the HPS, however, I've learned over time that I use minimal brakes. Even racing the Miata, I had to go to lower temp pads because I never used them enough to heat up.

As a track pad, the HPS was about 3-5 laps before fade. As a street pad, they were perfect for how I drive. As always, ymmv. And yours certainly did. :rolleyes:

Archived