LegacyGT.com

5th Gen Ownership - Official Random Thoughts Thread - V3

I would never put those in a road car. I want all the crash structure around me that I can get.

I was thinking the same thing. The factory crash structure is proven. Interesting to note, if you follow AEV (American Expedition Vehicles), they make the bumpers, ect on the Chevy Colorado Bison and the owner of AEV told me GM preformed a full crash test with their Bison kit installed 11 times.

Body is taking a toll and my age is not helping. Basement renovation is almost complete and I put in new vinyl flooring and baseboard in at shop #2. Also my buddy scored on a desk and stove/oven for the shop (they want to start powder coating). I need to help bring it into the shop this weekend. I still need to do a oil change on the Legacy, way past due.

What is a good LED set for the options OEM fog lights. I want yellow. One of the bulbs burned out and I'm thinking to put LED H7.

Other news The AE86 is leaking brake fluid and (2) front calipers are seized (time to rebuild or hunt down another set).

Edited by amusa

Body is taking a toll and my age is not helping. Basement renovation is almost complete and I put in new vinyl flooring and baseboard in at shop #2. Also my buddy scored on a desk and stove/oven for the shop (they want to start powder coating). I need to help bring it into the shop this weekend. I still need to do a oil change on the Legacy, way past due.

What is a good LED set for the options OEM fog lights. I want yellow. One of the bulbs burned out and I'm thinking to put LED H7.

Other news The AE86 is leaking brake fluid and (2) front calipers are seized (time to rebuild or hunt down another set).

you're in DC, right? probably too much of a trek for me to visit the shop :) luckily Mach V is convenient to my office in Reston. can't wait to get to work on mine. pinterest is already burning a hole in my pocket.

you're in DC, right? probably too much of a trek for me to visit the shop :) luckily Mach V is convenient to my office in Reston. can't wait to get to work on mine. pinterest is already burning a hole in my pocket.

I'm from D.C. but the shops are in Gaithersburg, Maryland but I also have very close friends that own shops out in Frederick, Maryland.

I got a call from my very close buddy of mine. He just bought 1 acre of land to build his own shop. I be reviewing the plans for him as a favor. It's good for him instead of being a tenant for so many years now he be a landlord.

Edited by amusa

This past Saturday we had a bunch of rain which cleaned off the roads and the temperatures were mild afterwards, so they didn't re-salt the roads. (this often happens ) I drove my Outback on Monday to work and realized the roads were clean, so I have been driving my '12 LGT this week. I looked at gas logs and I filled up on Nov 17th and prior to this week I had only driven 25 miles since then. I put a 185 miles on it this week so far. Tonight there is a chance of rain with near freezing over night temperatures, so my Legacy will likely back to sitting in my driveway.

It has been nice to get back behind the wheel. This is probably my favorite daily driver that I have owned. It is a major reason to why I bought an Outback to reduce the annual mileage, so I don't wear it out so quickly and reduce its expose to winter road treatments.

Just got a letter from Subaru Canada....all Legacy/Outback models from 2010 to 2014 with CVT or 5EAT get extended warranty on the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) assembly. Extended from 3 years and 60,000 Km to 15 years and unlimited kilometers....and...if the owner has paid for repairs to the parking brake assembly in the past, Subaru will reimburse the costs. :):)

Just got a letter from Subaru Canada....all Legacy/Outback models from 2010 to 2014 with CVT or 5EAT get extended warranty on the Electric Parking Brake (EPB) assembly. Extended from 3 years and 60,000 Km to 15 years and unlimited kilometers....and...if the owner has paid for repairs to the parking brake assembly in the past, Subaru will reimburse the costs. :):)

This is why I use my E-Brake whenever I park anywhere that isn't flat :p

Very nice. Something I've always wanted to venture into. I'm diggin that mountain range piece. Have any drafts/plans for that or did you free style it?

Thanks. I really enjoy it. The possibilities are pretty endless on what you can make. The mountain range I just found a piece online and winged it. Tested out stains to make sure they'd look right. I have it hanging in the dining room. I just sold that live edge table. I found a consignment shop that does 50/50 for pay but given what I put into it I still made $200 profit. Which gets me about $20/hr labor. I'll take it. I plan to sell more there in the near future

I just finished these plant stands up. Working on a simple cheeseboard atm. 1SMgEoL.jpg

Also got a stockpile recently:

qEOFsbf.jpg

All this wood is air dried and cut about 40 years ago. Snagged some spalted maple, ash, lots of white oak (it's quite brownish too), some red oak and a bit of cherry. This older guy passed away and left his wife with thousands of board feet. So a family friend is helping her selling it off. All of it's going for $1 boardfoot. Essentially 1/4th the usual price. Rented a Uhaul, the Legacy was no match for this, haha.

I've pretty much decided whenever the Legacy is retired or force to retire, I'm probably gonna get a 2014 Legacy or Outback (will definitely be lowered). I'm around 112k miles and I haven't had a CEL come on since I bought it (aside my fault of the coilpack falling out). It's been fluid changes and pulley/belts and plugs.

Thanks Joe. I kinda borrowed the design from some I saw. They're more stable than they look on flat floors. Carpet not as much.

I have a 12.5" Craftsman planer currently. It does alright for the most part. I got it for $60 I think on FB Marketplace. Guy said it wasn't planing very good. Blades just needed flipped around. Sadly I don't think there's a spiral shelix head for it. Helps a lot to prevent tearout which I get sometimes.

ugh i'm jealous of that stockpile. i've been trying to get in to woodworking, but getting the materials home is a PITA without a large vehicle. interested to see when that spalted maple gets busted out, that's probably my favorite looking commonish wood out there

Very nice! I've been keeping my eye open for some decent deals on dried and aged wood for my house I'm going to need to fill with things. First project up though is a 130ft privacy fence transitioned to another 200 feet of 3 or 4 board 4ft high ranch fencing with wire. I'll probably get most of the tools I need for general wood working from this project lol Doing it custom myself based on different designs I've seen on Pinterest. I'd love to do natural cedar, but to keep costs down I'll probably use a cedar-toned yellow pine that's been PT'd, and stain in with a semi-transparent dark color.

I've also already scoped out some pallets I can grab for free to cover an entire wall in my garage :) I like a cleaner/even look, so I'll probably put some elbow grease in to plane and sand the boards before mounting. I think I'll pass on any staining on those though.. too much a PITA for cheap boards. The color/age variety look can be appealing too. Speaking of the Legacy being no match, I don't think the Forester will handle quite everything I want to do around the new house. Thinking about picking up a beater truck, so I can still keep the legacy around for commuting.

You know what really makes the LGT feel fast? Driving a Crosstrek CVT for a month. Definitely had one of those "oops, I'm going 80" moments on the on ramp this morning.

Yup, same thing happens when you have been driving a 4EAT 2.5i Outback all winter too.

I'm in the slow & missing my LGT club with my 2007 2.5i Legacy winter beater.

I'll be driving it to Chicago this Sunday instead of my wife's Crosstrek. Figure that old timer can park in a parking garage for a week and I won't worry much. Getting some sun in they Keys for the week.:)

The ZHP is finally mine! Needs a passenger window and a water pump. 144k miles and a clean CarFax, I'm the 3rd owner. Needs a few little things but not much. Only 3 door dings and 1 scratch besides the typical front end rock chips. Got her for a steal!d7203b5bca754b9ed5f57f423460b1db.jpg3ba26846787eee9086b577ee2b870d18.jpg2d77c4f5a9e8dde99c4e8e27bbbdf7cb.jpg Edited by GTEASER

The ZHP is finally mine! Needs a passenger window and a water pump. 144k miles and a clean CarFax, I'm the 3rd owner. Needs a few little things but not much. Only 3 door dings and 1 scratch besides the typical front end rock chips. Got her for a steal!d7203b5bca754b9ed5f57f423460b1db.jpg3ba26846787eee9086b577ee2b870d18.jpg2d77c4f5a9e8dde99c4e8e27bbbdf7cb.jpg

Looks beautiful :p