LegacyGT.com

STI Brembos

I am thinking about buying these. The guy is willing to drop on price if I buy them as a set. They appear to be in great condition. Threads are all intact. Current price is 1449 so I would be negotiating down from there.

http://www.subaruforester.org/vbulletin/f65/2015-sti-brembo-calipers-front-rear-746977/

Thoughts?

• Moderators

That's between you and the seller. Price is tolerable as is, IMO--but he has offered to accept less. Offer him 1200 and go from there.

For a reference, I sold my set of fronts with rotors/pads (11k miles on rotors and brake pads) for $1k.

"Bullet-proof" your OEM TMIC! <<Buy your kit here>>

Not currently in stock :(

I have the older golds on the front from the previous owner and I picked up a set of golds for the rear but I didn't want to pay 250 for brackets. I also want to have black calipers so I'd have to take of my fronts somehow and powder coat and rebuild both. I figure it's just easier to skip the bracket and rebuilding. Plus I can now sell a set of golds front and rear to reclaim some cash. Next stop rotors and pads.

I have the older golds on the front from the previous owner and I picked up a set of golds for the rear but I didn't want to pay 250 for brackets. I also want to have black calipers so I'd have to take of my fronts somehow and powder coat and rebuild both. I figure it's just easier to skip the bracket and rebuilding. Plus I can now sell a set of golds front and rear to reclaim some cash. Next stop rotors and pads.
I would still rebuild them. Seal kit costs $100 and about 30min of your time.

Do you have a compressor at your disposal?

If you do pull them apart, be aware that Brembo doesn't powder coat their calipers. They're painted. They actually recommend not power coating since you'll strip the anodizing from the aluminum when you sandblast them.
If sandblasted and then powder coated, it wouldnt really matter about the anodizing . The powder coat is on there protecting it now.

Plus you aren't sandblasting the working parts.

Maybe I'm wrong ?

If you do pull them apart, be aware that Brembo doesn't powder coat their calipers. They're painted. They actually recommend not power coating since you'll strip the anodizing from the aluminum when you sandblast them.
Either way . I'll let you know how long mine last. I'm getting them back from the powder coaters tomorrow .

If sandblasted and then powder coated, it wouldnt really matter about the anodizing . The powder coat is on there protecting it now.

Plus you aren't sandblasting the working parts.

Maybe I'm wrong ?

The information above is coming from Brembo themselves. If the powder coat gets chipped or flakes off then the exposed Aluminum will start to oxidize. Additionally Brembo advises not splitting the calipers apart or to remove some specific seals as they are nearly impossible to find and replace.

According to Brembo you should clean the calipers with mild brake cleaner, sanding the painted areas, and then repainting with a class 2 or 3 auto paint if I remember correctly.

There's a full description somewhere on NASIOC.

Not surprised - it's basically, well, like any other aluminum part. It would be odd for them to anodize if they are going to paint - maybe they'd do a conversion coating as a base for the paint, then prime and topcoat, but that's about it. If they were anodized, you could media blast using plastigrit or walnut shells and that would remove the paint but the anodization would remain intact.

So they are saying to basically scuff the paint to give it an anchor pattern, then repaint essentially using the original paint as a primer.

The information above is coming from Brembo themselves. If the powder coat gets chipped or flakes off then the exposed Aluminum will start to oxidize. Additionally Brembo advises not splitting the calipers apart or to remove some specific seals as they are nearly impossible to find and replace.

According to Brembo you should clean the calipers with mild brake cleaner, sanding the painted areas, and then repainting with a class 2 or 3 auto paint if I remember correctly.

There's a full description somewhere on NASIOC.

I'm not worried about it.

Thousands of Brembo calipers have been sandblasted and powerdercoated . For the cost of powder coating I'll just get them done every couple/few years.

I didn't split them. I wouldn't go that far. Pointless.

Archived